• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the thread

mam

Hello, I just had VSG surgery on 1/9. I am new to this forum. Not receiving much emotional support from family. I am probably getting 48 ox of water but have not managed to drink a protein shake in over a week. I have had some broth. Hoping to receive some support and guidance from this group. Thank you.

You might try drinking water by using a spoon. You really should be hitting 80 to 100 ounces of water daily, but it's a struggle most people experience. You just have to work on it. And if you're not drinking shakes, what ARE you eating? You should still be on a liquid diet, according to my calendar.

I think you should write down every bit of food, broth or water you consume and adhere strictly to your doctor's diet. Your body will shut down its digestive process in order to hoard calories, and you don't want that to happen. "Some" is not a measurement. Use measuring cups and spoons at all times, and a scale when you get to solid foods.

We'll be happy to give you emotional support, but you have to give yourself emotional support too. VSG is only a tool. You need to use it properly, and that includes drinking water and sticking to the required foods and drinks.

Diane is spot on. Contact your team if you are having that much difficulty getting in the shakes, you need the protein! You need to be proactive with your own health and that starts by following your teams recommendations on fluid and protein intake.

Thank you both! I have been consuming 1/3 cup of broth most days, 2 sugar free popsicles, and drinking water. I can sip water and do not need to drink it with a spoon. I also have finished 2 unsweetened applesauce cups. The nutritionist working with my surgeon told me it was okay if I could not yet drink the protein shakes, that I should focus on my daily water requirements first. I also take a 10 minute walk daily. Today I will really focus on getting some protein shake in.

Thank you both! I have been consuming 1/3 cup of broth most days, 2 sugar free popsicles, and drinking water. I can sip water and do not need to drink it with a spoon. I also have finished 2 unsweetened applesauce cups. The nutritionist working with my surgeon told me it was okay if I could not yet drink the protein shakes, that I should focus on my daily water requirements first. I also take a 10 minute walk daily. Today I will really focus on getting some protein shake in.
If protien shakes are too thick right now, try fairlife skim milk. It has a high protien content but is not sweet or thick like the shakes. However, Fairlife does make a very good chocolate protien shake that is thin like chocolate milk.

The nutritionist working with my surgeon told me it was okay if I could not yet drink the protein shakes, that I should focus on my daily water requirements first.

I understand that, but disagree. You can live longer without food than you can without water. Staying hydrated is extremely important, for lots of reasons. You can search through the messages here to read all those reasons.

Also, you might search here for the recipe for Magic Milk. It was given to me by my nutritionist and saved my life, honestly. Of course, listen to your nutritionist, but read about MM and this groups' experiences with hydration, and maybe share the links with her/him and ask for a medical opinion about what we share. I used MM to make fortified creamed soups and cream of wheat cereal (no water, cooked in milk) and it really helped. I also made my own smoothies and protein drinks using powders, and my blood tests were always great.

I have some files in my profile that include recipes for MM.

It's definitely worth researching and making sure you do what's best for your body.

Hello, I just had VSG surgery on 1/9. I am new to this forum. Not receiving much emotional support from family. I am probably getting 48 ox of water but have not managed to drink a protein shake in over a week. I have had some broth. Hoping to receive some support and guidance from this group. Thank you.
Hi, I just read your post. I had surgery 4/10. I am able to drink the shakes and water but really do not want to eat anything. Just wondering how you are doing now and how long it took for you to feel better.

Hi Michele1024, I am now doing great! I am even able to eat a small bit of bread and eat a salad without any gastric distress. I was not expecting that at 3 months out from my surgery. I try to eat regular food now and not rely on protein shakes. I have an oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, and then I usually am not hungry all day long until dinner, but my physician assistant told me I should force myself to eat something for lunch, so now I usually have a protein shake for lunch or a yogurt smoothie shake. My physician assistant told me I should be consuming 1200 calories per day now, but I told her I don't find that possible because 1) I'm not hungry and 2) I don't feel I can physically eat 1200 calories yet in a healthy way. A good friend sent me a recipe for a smoothie that calls for including shredded chicken breast, but it doesn't sound very appetizing. I estimate at 3 months out, it's a good day for me if I can eat 800-900 calories, so I will try adding more calories each month as a goal to work up to 1200 calories. Physically, I just don't see it as realistic right now unless I start eating high calorie foods like ice cream on a daily basis, and that's not a healthy choice.
Honestly, it took me a while to feel better in the beginning, but just know in a few months you will feel great. I'm shocked I've already lost over 40% of my excess weight as determined by the doctor. I began all the phases of recovery in terms of eating on a delayed basis and the doctor said it was okay so long as I was drinking protein shakes and getting in my daily water requirements. I would recommend Oikos Pro yogurt as it has 20 grams of protein and Chobani complete yogurt smoothies (also 20 grams of protein).

Back