• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New Weight Loss Pill: Qnexa

Kevin

Staff member
I've been hearing a lot about this new drug for the last couple months, and the FDA is supposed to approve or deny it again this week. Qnexa is supposed to be the new "miracle drug".

Here's part of the article I just read:
"Qnexa combines two currently approved drugs. One is the appetite suppressant phentermine, the safer "phen" part of the infamously unsafe fen-phen diet drug.
The other half of Qnexa is the seizure/migraine drug topiramate. The topiramate label lists some scary side effects: eye problems, decreased sweating and increased body temperature, acidic body fluids, suicidal thoughts and behaviors, and fetal toxicity."

Here's the link to the article from CBS News if anyone is interested in reading it:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500368_162-57380659/panel-to-ponder-fate-of-qnexa-weight-loss-pill/

Just thought I'd share this. Anyone have any thoughts on this new drug? I don't watch the News very often so I may be a little behind on this :).

Kevin-This is the first time I've heard of it but I don't like what I see. Before I read past the first line of your post my first thought was how the FDA went wrong with fen-phen. I have a friend who will be suffering the side effects of that mess for the rest of her life. We all know people who think those of us who choose to have WLS are crazy or that we have no self control. And we all know people who will pop a pill for everything and anything. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.

Thanks for the info Kevin. I heard about the new drug. The side affects of some drugs are worse than what they are trying to treat. We have become a pill popping society, there are a plethora of weight loss pills on the market most unregulated because they are "herbal supplaments" that don't do much for the person with morbid obesity, well the FDA doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to weight loss pills either. On the other hand there has been many studies done on WLS since they have started doing them many years ago, they have learned a lot including the fact that WLS is a tool that we can use to help us lose weight and keep it off if we follow and maintain a healthy lifestyle, studies have also shown if we go back to our old habits we will return to our old weghts. I guess what I am trying to say is WLS is not a pill or a quick fix, it is a way to help us get healthy and stay healthy. :cool: Tom

I just saw on the news tonight that Qnexa was approved by the FDA. It's the first weight loss drug to be approved since 1999. I'm curious to see how this will fit in with the Bariatric world.

Qnexa is a fixed dose combination drug which is made up of two medications that are currently FDA approved and have been on the market for some time now. Phentermine which has been used in the US for over 50 years now is a very safe medication, that reduces hunger. Side effects include a potential of increasing blood pressure, elevate heart rate and palpitations. I've prescribed this medication to thousands of patients and rarely needed to discontinue the therapy based upon side effects. Keep in mind this was not the drug fenfluramine that was removed from the market is response to cardiac valuopathy. The second medication in Qnexa is topriamate and antiseizure drug that has been used in the US for over a decade now. This medication does has potenital of causing cleft palate deformation to children born to women who use the medication during pregnancy. Females of child bearing age should practice birth control if they take this medication and should be seen and evaluated by their physician at least once a month while on this medication.

These drugs are not a 'miracle cure' anymore that bariatric surgery is a 'miracle cure' but like bariatric surgery may be a valuable tool in helping us in the bariatric community and our patients find a safer, healthier and happier weight.

FDA is expected to give a full board ruling in mid April on this medication. It is not currently available in the US.

Back