• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New with some questions!

Kyla_milan

Hi you all! I just had my sleeve on Monday and got home Tuesday night. I’ve been struggling getting my 64oz in for water or fluids in everyday and no where near getting my protein. Today I got 20 grams in which I was proud about. But I bought all these protein waters and shakes before my surgery and tasted a few before and they were good when I got back home, they are disgusting to me now. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s frustrating because I want to get my protein in but the powder I’m using for my smoothies is grossing me out now and 5 of the 6 protein drink flavors I have are gross to me as well.
Did anyone else go through this? Have any suggestions to help bare the taste? Any brands of shakes that you guys really liked?!

Hi you all! I just had my sleeve on Monday and got home Tuesday night. I’ve been struggling getting my 64oz in for water or fluids in everyday and no where near getting my protein. Today I got 20 grams in which I was proud about. But I bought all these protein waters and shakes before my surgery and tasted a few before and they were good when I got back home, they are disgusting to me now. Has this happened to anyone else? It’s frustrating because I want to get my protein in but the powder I’m using for my smoothies is grossing me out now and 5 of the 6 protein drink flavors I have are gross to me as well.
Did anyone else go through this? Have any suggestions to help bare the taste? Any brands of shakes that you guys really liked?!
I was afraid that would happen to me so I didn't buy anything. I saw videos of a lot of people buying Costco-sized hauls of stuff they don't even want. I wonder do you have any neighbors you can offload/sell the stuff you don't like to?
The only protein shake I swear by is the Fairlife Core Power. It tastes so much like chocolate milk.

I was afraid that would happen to me so I didn't buy anything. I saw videos of a lot of people buying Costco-sized hauls of stuff they don't even want. I wonder do you have any neighbors you can offload/sell the stuff you don't like to?
The only protein shake I swear by is the Fairlife Core Power. It tastes so much like chocolate milk.
Well I know a few people who have had the surgery so I would give it to them as they like them. I do have fair life core the one with 42g and I actually really like that one. That’s the only one lol. But I’ve finding it hard to just sit there and drink the shake :/ I will probably buy the chocolate ones as well because I do like chocolate milk.

Well I know a few people who have had the surgery so I would give it to them as they like them. I do have fair life core the one with 42g and I actually really like that one. That’s the only one lol. But I’ve finding it hard to just sit there and drink the shake :/ I will probably buy the chocolate ones as well because I do like chocolate milk.
Seriously it's the only one I like. Today I blended some fresh pineapple chunks with Naked Whey and water and ice and kinda made like a dole whip drink. So that was a nice detour from all the chocolate

You are going through a pretty typical situation. Many people experience some taste change and sensitivities to certain protein sources and flavors after surgery, and some don't. Really, the only thing you can do is experiment a little. I've seen lots of people list their favorite flavors and just as many who list the same flavors as ones they can't stand. So, I would recommend getting one of several different kinds and see which work best for you. It's a pain in the butt, however you just can't know for sure until you try it.

As far as getting all your protein and water goes. Lots of people struggle with this too, so don't stress too much. Are you counting your protein drinks and water both toward your daily liquid goal? That is the advice I got from my bariatric team. Basically, for the first few days I just drank an oz of water over 15 minutes and then an ounce of protein drink over 15 minutes. So, 4oz of fluid (half water/half protein) in the course of a typical 16 hour day is 64 oz. I was drinking a protein drink with 30g per 11 oz, so at the end of the day I had 86 oz of protein. It was a lot easier to keep down at that very slow pace. By the time the end of the week rolled around, I would sip a bit more of each, or sometimes I sip just water for 30 min and then just protein for 30 min and replace some protein drink with broth and unflavored protein, etc.

Do as much as you can, try to divide your liquids so you get as much protein as possible and stay hydrated. The protein is very important for tissue repair, and the liquids are important because you are probably in a state of ketosis which will increase the volume of urine you release.

Contact your bariatric team if you feel any dehydration symptoms or get too nauseous or diarrhea, etc. Make sure you utilize them as a resource to get through these early weeks.

Best of luck! You have started a rewarding journey. There will be some ups and down and frustrations, but you can definitely get to where you want to go!

Me personally I like the fairlife core protein strawberry banana it has to be over ice the chocolate has a wicked bad chalky aftertaste
But my favorite is cafe latte premiere protein Individual bottles over ice it’s like having an ice coffee

There are other sources of liquids and protein as well. You might try bone broth. I struggled with anything sweet in those first couple of weeks, so I found savory sources of protein were easier for me. Slightly warmed bone broths with small amounts of unflavored protein powder worked VERY well. Don't make them too hot in the beginning. You can get Kettle & Fire brand bone broths on Amazon, I prersonall love the chicken and mushroom flavor.

Also, experiment with temperatures... I found some things were easier to tolerate cold, while others were better luke warm or warm.

Also, the other suggestions of buying in small quantities is a great suggestion. Your tastes will change A LOT over the next few weeks/months, and something you like today, you may hate tomorrow. And vice versa.

Try to stay positive, and know that things may get harder before they get easier, but they WILL get easier. You will be measuring your recovery time in days and weeks, not months and years.

I am only 9 months into my recovery, and I am down 118 lbs! Since COVID hit, I have travelled to 11 states; hiked in Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont; kayaked 12 miles of the Colorado River; and bought a house and done A TON of home projects and yard work!

You can have the same thing. Stay positive, follow your Doctors orders, get rest, and get water and protein. When you get down or just need support, lean on this group. We were all there!

I am thinking positive thoughts for you!

Yes. Now that I am almost 7 weeks post I am able to start adding the protein drinks back in with out my stomach automatically trying to throw it back up. Also it takes a bit to get back to 64oz. Some can do it right away some can't. I think it took me 2 weeks before I was even able to get close. Even now its more natural for me to land at 48.

There are other sources of liquids and protein as well. You might try bone broth. I struggled with anything sweet in those first couple of weeks, so I found savory sources of protein were easier for me. Slightly warmed bone broths with small amounts of unflavored protein powder worked VERY well. Don't make them too hot in the beginning. You can get Kettle & Fire brand bone broths on Amazon, I prersonall love the chicken and mushroom flavor.
Just got my Kettle & Fire broth and, wow, is the chicken mushroom broth good! I was at Wegmans this weekend and found some soups in that brand but not the broth. Thank you for the recommendation!

Back