• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New, Working through process

drsuzie63

Hi, I am working through all the hoops to schedule the surgery soon. I am going to have the sleeve. Any words of wisdom?

Hi, I am working through all the hoops to schedule the surgery soon. I am going to have the sleeve. Any words of wisdom?

Hi drsuzie! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I had the RNY bypass, not the sleeve but there are plenty of people on this forum that have lost a great deal of weight with the sleeve. I think many people are on vacation over the summer months so there doesn't seem to be the usual number of people responding lately as there has been the rest of the year.

The recipe for success after bariatric surgery in my opinion is to not stretch out your new tiny stomach pouch. Eat tiny amounts at a time. Eat very slowly so your tummy has time to send you the signal that you are full. Fill up on protein so it stays with you longer and you won't feel hungry. Follow your surgeon's directions to the letter on what foods to eat and at which weeks to eat them so you don't tear open your new size tummy. Some surgeons want their patients on a liquid diet before and after surgery, sometimes for a few weeks, sometimes for just a few days. I found it helpful to read all I could find on bariatric surgery on the internet so I could understand what was going to happen. I had my surgery laparoscopically which is pretty much the norm now I think, and it wasn't very painful at all. Yes I was sore but not terribly so, it was much easier than I expected.

Good luck to you, please come to the forum often, and keep us posted on your progress! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne

Thanks for your response. I am on a restricted diet now - she wants me to loose a few pounds which I wait. I have bought baby forks and spoons. I am trying to use them to eat slower so I can fill the signals. I also never thought I would like protein drinks but I do. I am trying to have one of those a day. I also am using a protein powder to enhance low protein foods. I will be glad when the hoops are done and I can start the next stage.
Suzie

The hoops are very important. It's essential time that you need to prepare yourself physically, and more important, mentally.

Hi drsuzie,
I just had the gastric sleeve surgery on July 11th and have lost 63lbs since. I stuck to the post-op diet for the first 10 days, then started eating soft foods such as yogurt and sugar free jello. I had a little dab of chicken but ate VERY small bites and ate VERY slowly. The 2 weeks prior to surgery just make sure you don't eat any solid food, that will help your surgery go smoother as bits of food could lead to a leak in the pouch. Also, my doctor had me up and walking 6 hours after surgery which helped my healing, so i walked a little bit everyday for the next week. Now I'm at the gym working out in full force, not as hard as before the surgery because I'm still low on energy, but it's getting better.
Good luck on everything, you''ll do well!!!

Back