• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New

Richard

I am new here. I am about midway through the prior to surgery routine. I have had two of my dietician meetings and have the psychological evaluation in a few weeks. I have had success in eliminating soda and caffeine from my diet and I am going to the gym lifting weights on the machines. I was drinking almost 12 cans of diet mountain dew and a few cups of coffee a day. I started at 345 pounds when I saw the Doctor and am down to 323, but I wasn't told a specific amount of weight I need to drop before surgery. I am still struggling with the low carb diet, and I haven't fully committed to making most of my own meals. Doubts are beginning to creep in about whether I can make the necessary diet changes on a permanent basis and if I really have the after-surgery support, I may need.

You can do this! It’s a big commitment, yes. I walked out of my consultation and said no way in hell could I do all of that. After a week, I picked up the info again, decided to try one change. After a few days, I tried another change. Didnt take long for me to realize that I am strong enough to do it! You have to do it for yourself. To take care of you! I hadn’t taken care of myself for a very long time which is why my health had deteriorated.

I am new here. I am about midway through the prior to surgery routine. I have had two of my dietician meetings and have the psychological evaluation in a few weeks. I have had success in eliminating soda and caffeine from my diet and I am going to the gym lifting weights on the machines. I was drinking almost 12 cans of diet mountain dew and a few cups of coffee a day. I started at 345 pounds when I saw the Doctor and am down to 323, but I wasn't told a specific amount of weight I need to drop before surgery. I am still struggling with the low carb diet, and I haven't fully committed to making most of my own meals. Doubts are beginning to creep in about whether I can make the necessary diet changes on a permanent basis and if I really have the after-surgery support, I may need.
If you have already given up caffine and are going to the gym, then it sounds to me that you can absolutely do it! Like the above poster, I was completely overwhelmed by all the necessary changes and steps to be taken. I decided to continue through the process knowing that I could back out at the last minute if I wanted to. Taking it one day at a time helped me, focusing on one phase at a time. One LONG year later I am so ready and surgery is tomorrow!

Good luck Mimi. I start my prep and clear liquid diet tomorrow. My surgery is Wednesday. I started this process in April. I'm 5'3", was 278 with a BMI of 49. I changed some eating habits, cut out Dunkin donuts iced coffee, McDonald's breakfast, and tried eating slower. I still suck at that, but I'm down to 256 with my BMI is 45.3. I'm scared and excited. I know this is a tool which will help me reset and get into a better eating habits. With the initial weight loss I'll be able to exercise without my back hurting in 10 minutes. I know I have to walk for healing, but more exercise after I heal without lower back pain will be nice. I used to play tennis when I was younger, that's the other thing I want to do again.

You can do this! It’s a big commitment, yes. I walked out of my consultation and said no way in hell could I do all of that. After a week, I picked up the info again, decided to try one change. After a few days, I tried another change. Didnt take long for me to realize that I am strong enough to do it! You have to do it for yourself. To take care of you! I hadn’t taken care of myself for a very long time which is why my health had deteriorated.
Amen❤️

Good luck Mimi. I start my prep and clear liquid diet tomorrow. My surgery is Wednesday. I started this process in April. I'm 5'3", was 278 with a BMI of 49. I changed some eating habits, cut out Dunkin donuts iced coffee, McDonald's breakfast, and tried eating slower. I still suck at that, but I'm down to 256 with my BMI is 45.3. I'm scared and excited. I know this is a tool which will help me reset and get into a better eating habits. With the initial weight loss I'll be able to exercise without my back hurting in 10 minutes. I know I have to walk for healing, but more exercise after I heal without lower back pain will be nice. I used to play tennis when I was younger, that's the other thing I want to do again.
Awesome! Keep up the good work❤️

You’ve got this! This is a new chapter in your life and it will be very rewarding on your journey❤️ wishing you the best on your path

Back