• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie here looking for support

Sarah Hodge

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site but I am hopin to find great use in it. It's great to see other people going through the same thing I am. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery jan 31. I'm looking for support from people here because I dont have a lot of support at home. My husband thinks it's ridiculous that i am having surgery and he is not supporting me at all. Luckily I do have family and co-workers who are here for me but it's still hard. Looking forward to hearing from others on their journeys too.

Hello Sarah,
Congratulations on your journey. It must be very difficult to do this without support. My husband was very supportive and I find that to be helpful.
Hope you have a local support group you can attend to meet people in person for support. I haven't got to our local one yet, but I do hope to attend when I can.
I had gastric sleeve on 11/10/16 and its been a great couple of months. I feel great and the weight is coming off.
Keep positive :)

Hi Sarah,
I am very Lucky for my support at home. So sorry to hear that you don't have the support that you need at home. Sometimes people do not understand this life changing journey we have decided to go on. The people one this site are really great and completely understand what you are going through. Use this for support and information. But most of all use your Dr and support staff. Good luck on your new you.

Thanks for your reply! My mom has been very supportive and I have a few co-workers that have also had surgery within the last year. I have been turning to them for support and they have been really helpful. I'm glad to hear your weightlossnisnoff to a great start. I've heard nothing but good things about these surgeries and I am really hoping to make it through with minimal complications.

Hi Sarah,
I am very Lucky for my support at home. So sorry to hear that you don't have the support that you need at home. Sometimes people do not understand this life changing journey we have decided to go on. The people one this site are really great and completely understand what you are going through. Use this for support and information. But most of all use your Dr and support staff. Good luck on your new you.
Thank you! I believe you are right in the fact that some people do not understand this life changing journey.about 10 years ago I was one of those people. But now I completely understand the struggle of weight loss and feel that this surgery is going to be the best thing I can do for me and my future. My husband on the other hand thinks I should just be able to lose weight by diet and exercise. I've tired that for about 8 years and it hasn't worked yet so that's why I looked to have surgery.

Thank you! I believe you are right in the fact that some people do not understand this life changing journey.about 10 years ago I was one of those people. But now I completely understand the struggle of weight loss and feel that this surgery is going to be the best thing I can do for me and my future. My husband on the other hand thinks I should just be able to lose weight by diet and exercise. I've tired that for about 8 years and it hasn't worked yet so that's why I looked to have surgery.
I completely understand on the dieting. I even gained weight on a diet. This group is very good and there is a lot of nice people on here. One day at a time.

Hello and welcome, it is a big misunderstanding for people to think this is a cheating way to lose weight or you should be able to do it by dieting. I understand the struggle to try and lose weight by fad diets... I had my wife go to the orientation with me so she could get the info with me. Having her on this journey with me is a god sent. Going to appointments and taking the steps with me has eased her mind and answered any questions or doubts she or I had. I hope your spouse will come around. Some times I have heard concerns of spouses as If you lose all that weight you probable going to look for someone else or others will be hitting on you and you will change.... Only he knows his feeling about it. Like I said hope he comes around it makes things that much better... We here will support you all the way... 100 %... Take care, and the best of luck

Sorry that you are not getting the support from your spouse that you should be getting. Hopefully he will come around at some point. If not, you know that you are doing this for you and your health. That is what is important. Good luck to you!

Hello and welcome, it is a big misunderstanding for people to think this is a cheating way to lose weight or you should be able to do it by dieting. I understand the struggle to try and lose weight by fad diets... I had my wife go to the orientation with me so she could get the info with me. Having her on this journey with me is a god sent. Going to appointments and taking the steps with me has eased her mind and answered any questions or doubts she or I had. I hope your spouse will come around. Some times I have heard concerns of spouses as If you lose all that weight you probable going to look for someone else or others will be hitting on you and you will change.... Only he knows his feeling about it. Like I said hope he comes around it makes things that much better... We here will support you all the way... 100 %... Take care, and the best of luck
Thanks for the encouragement. I greatly appreciate it. I am hoping he will
Come around and be a little more supportive. He in the beginning just kept saying I was taking the easy way out. But from what I've seen there is nothing easy to the journey of a bariatric surgery. Im just thankful I do have others around me that are supportive

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site but I am hopin to find great use in it. It's great to see other people going through the same thing I am. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery jan 31. I'm looking for support from people here because I dont have a lot of support at home. My husband thinks it's ridiculous that i am having surgery and he is not supporting me at all. Luckily I do have family and co-workers who are here for me but it's still hard. Looking forward to hearing from others on their journeys too.
I hope you are doing much better and a great support is what is going to pull you through.. Hang in there

Back