• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie, No surgery date

Hi everyone,

I am Kim and I met with my surgeon 1 month ago today. I have had a battery of tests and today I had my Psychological Assessment. I was just told that I am a good candidate for surgery she just needs my PCP to sign a form stating that she agrees that I am a good candidate as well and that I am compliant with my anxiety medication. I meet with the dieticians on July 10th and have my first support group meeting on July 13th. I am anxious to have a surgery date. I am wondering how long most of you had to wait before having surgery once you began the process??

I have increased my water and protein intake and have been working hard to decrease the amount of carbs I eat daily and I am down 9 lbs since I met the surgeon. Now my loss has stalled and I am starting to get discouraged. I need a bit more support and help to not back slide. My surgeon's office had me sign a form promising that I would not weigh more than I did on the first appointment date. Did any of you have to do that?

Hi, welcome to this site! From the time I had my first consult about the surgery to actually having the surgery...it was about 5 month. Yes, the surgeon had me agree to lose weight in advance of the surgery but I did not need to sign a form.

Wow, that's a new one on me. My first thought is that signing such a form wouldn't be legally binding, so I'd sign it and then follow my plan and live my life. Although on second thought, I'd probably look for a surgeon who wasn't so silly.

Congrats on your weight loss so far. I take other meds too, including sedatives and sleep meds. It's good to mention this because you want to make sure they don't go sliding through your gut without fully dissolving. As to waiting, I'm a bad example. My doctor told me I needed to lose 100 pounds, then pulled out a form letter he sent to the FDA on behalf of ever patient and immediately scheduled me for surgery. Nowadays people wait months because doctors want them to be retrained by nutritionists and informed about all aspects of bariatric surgery. I've read that some people wait six months, some three months, some more or less than that.

Keep up your determination and fabulous compliance and make sure your surgeon and team see what you're doing. If they know you're taking it seriously, maybe they'll move ahead faster with your procedure. This surgery permanently changes your digestive system, so they don't take it lightly. Knowing you don't either, you may just move ahead of the pack!

Good luck to you. You're gonna ace this.

Hi everyone,

I am Kim and I met with my surgeon 1 month ago today. I have had a battery of tests and today I had my Psychological Assessment. I was just told that I am a good candidate for surgery she just needs my PCP to sign a form stating that she agrees that I am a good candidate as well and that I am compliant with my anxiety medication. I meet with the dieticians on July 10th and have my first support group meeting on July 13th. I am anxious to have a surgery date. I am wondering how long most of you had to wait before having surgery once you began the process??

I have increased my water and protein intake and have been working hard to decrease the amount of carbs I eat daily and I am down 9 lbs since I met the surgeon. Now my loss has stalled and I am starting to get discouraged. I need a bit more support and help to not back slide. My surgeon's office had me sign a form promising that I would not weigh more than I did on the first appointment date. Did any of you have to do that?
It's been a year for me, and I still don't have a date. So many delays because there is only one nutritionist.

Hello and welcome. I had a 6 month required wait from my insurance. I had to meet with the doctor for 6 months, see the nutritionist 3xs, get a psych evaluation and see the surgeon. I also had to weigh less than the 1st time I saw the surgeon. I was delayed 2 months because of Covid and it took about 5 weeks for the insurance approval to go through, once my requirements were met. So all in all, I had surgery 11 months after my 1st appointment.

Use whatever time it takes to develop new, healthy habits. There are a lot of changes that will need to be made in order for you to be successful long term. Tackle one a month. This month you've lowered your carb intake. Next month give up soda or any sweetened drinks. The month after get used to carrying water with you every where and getting 64oz. And so on.

The changes you'll have to make are usually more of a mental struggle than a physical one and practice makes perfect. I found the time preparing really has helped me in the long run. Stay focused. You'll get there.

Back