• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie. Purée thanksgiving for me!

That's exactly what I had, though not at Thanksgiving. I found that white meat turkey has the largest percentage of protein of any meat. So I used a blender and heated up some Magic Milk and measured my turkey and mashed and gravy and smooshed it all together, then ate it with a spoon. After putting it in a bowl, I topped it with whole-berry cranberry sauce and it was delicious. I could have included sweet potatoes, but didn't have any in the house. I'd eaten with relatives a year or so before, and I just used a fork to smash what little portion I ate, while smearing the rest around my plate and announcing I was stuffed. No one knew how little I'd eaten because I vowed not to tell people. I knew they'd just dismiss my weight loss or say I was cheating. To this day, only my son and best friend know I had the surgery. I stick to that story because even with surgery, it's not exactly a cakewalk to recover and design your daily diet around health and restraint.

for the holidays, just use a fork. Get rid of that spoon and knife and smash your food a lot before you chew it slowly and swallow wee bits. It's really easy to appear like a person with restraint, who doesn't gorge herself over the holidays, and if, like me, you want to keep your life choices private, no one will ever know the difference. you can even have a sliver of pie and leave most of the crust on your plate. if you look around the table, you'll notice big piles of food on many plates, where they overserved themselves and couldn't eat it all.

Eat slowly, talk a lot, put your fork down between tiny bites, and halfway through, declare that you're stuffed like a turkey! At home, use a blender. It's actually really tasty.

Hello!
You can puree anything, you might just have to add some liquid to it to make it thin enough.
I had pureed chicken salad, so I imagine turkey would work the same. You could even add some gravy in to thin it down.
The cranberry might be too acidic or sweet that early out.
It overall shouldn't be a problem to puree your Thanksgiving diner! But, if you team has a DO NOT EAT list, just be sure to follow it and you should be just fine.
Good luck!

You absolutely can puree anything. My program gave a recipe book and it had pureed grilled cheese

The suggestion, as Diane mentioned, is add gravy. Just go slowly, since it can be hard to figure out fullness early on. Also, some foods sit heavier than others.

I personally loved mashed sweet potato with a little maple syrup and cinnamon.

You absolutely can puree anything. My program gave a recipe book and it had pureed grilled cheese

The suggestion, as Diane mentioned, is add gravy. Just go slowly, since it can be hard to figure out fullness early on. Also, some foods sit heavier than others.

Ick on sweet potatoes for me. Not no how, not no way lol

I’m so curious— how do you purée a grilled cheese?! I start purée Monday.
Thank you!

That's exactly what I had, though not at Thanksgiving. I found that white meat turkey has the largest percentage of protein of any meat. So I used a blender and heated up some Magic Milk and measured my turkey and mashed and gravy and smooshed it all together, then ate it with a spoon. After putting it in a bowl, I topped it with whole-berry cranberry sauce and it was delicious. I could have included sweet potatoes, but didn't have any in the house. I'd eaten with relatives a year or so before, and I just used a fork to smash what little portion I ate, while smearing the rest around my plate and announcing I was stuffed. No one knew how little I'd eaten because I vowed not to tell people. I knew they'd just dismiss my weight loss or say I was cheating. To this day, only my son and best friend know I had the surgery. I stick to that story because even with surgery, it's not exactly a cakewalk to recover and design your daily diet around health and restraint.

for the holidays, just use a fork. Get rid of that spoon and knife and smash your food a lot before you chew it slowly and swallow wee bits. It's really easy to appear like a person with restraint, who doesn't gorge herself over the holidays, and if, like me, you want to keep your life choices private, no one will ever know the difference. you can even have a sliver of pie and leave most of the crust on your plate. if you look around the table, you'll notice big piles of food on many plates, where they overserved themselves and couldn't eat it all.

Eat slowly, talk a lot, put your fork down between tiny bites, and halfway through, declare that you're stuffed like a turkey! At home, use a blender. It's actually really tasty.
omg this is so helpful! thank you very much. i told most of my family, just for support but i like the idea of smashing the food together! my surgery is next Thursday and im getting so nervous/ excited.

You can eat anything you like, as long as you mash it up into a puree. You can add liquid to it in the form of water, bouillon, clear broth, milk--practically any liquid except booze and effervescent stuff like soda. I'm not sure what your texture issue is, but all a puree is is a thick liquid, like pudding, which is another great thing to eat during puree. I also ate hot cereal like malt-o-meal and mixed extra nutrition like wheat germ into it while it cooked.

Generally, broth is better than bouillon. Check for salt content, because that is something you don't want to mess with after surgery. And of course, ask your nutritionist. I was given a detailed list when I had my surgery 14 years ago, and then studied the FDA site online for even more information. It's really amazing how much we DON'T know about food and nutrition. But you shouldn't worry. Everyone you have contact with about your surgery wants to hear your questions and share their experiences. And that FDA site is absolutely indispensable where questions are concerned.

I'm actually worried about puree phase. I'm a picky eater and have issues with texture. I feel like there is alot of yogurt and eggs in soft/puree phase.
[/QUOTE

I was NOT eating pureed meat .. Talk about texture issues Yuck!

I basically ate only dinner as puree, which was refried beans with a little cheese and salsa (SO good after no food for so long) and mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and cinnamon. For soft food I added slow cooked salsa chicken to my refried beans

The thought of any type of meat in a blender - just ewww. So not my deal but others love it! You could eat mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, egg salad - mash up a couple of deviled eggs - this was my go to food in the puréed stage. As long as I could mash it with my tongue my surgical team was ok with me eating it.

My sister in law had bypass 10 days before thanksgiving last year. She ate mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, stuffing with gravy. She ate more food than I did - I was almost 2 yrs post-op then.

Just be mindful of what you eat. Most have had issues with certain foods after gastric surgery. Mine is bread. I still have issues with bread.

The thought of any type of meat in a blender - just ewww. So not my deal but others love it! You could eat mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, egg salad - mash up a couple of deviled eggs - this was my go to food in the puréed stage. As long as I could mash it with my tongue my surgical team was ok with me eating it.

My sister in law had bypass 10 days before thanksgiving last year. She ate mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, stuffing with gravy. She ate more food than I did - I was almost 2 yrs post-op then.

Just be mindful of what you eat. Most have had issues with certain foods after gastric surgery. Mine is bread. I still have issues with bread.

thank you for this. i love the deviled egg idea and sweet potatoes! I'm so excited for my surgery this coming Thursday! :D

Back