• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie - Surgery Date July 16th

chilis

No one knows the excitement or anxiety of what is going on right now in my head except maybe a bunch of you guys, so here I am. I get to start the pre-op diet soon, but thankfully it is not protein shakes! My programs has me eating real food...no carbs and only 1200 calories. I don't remember the last time I ate 1200 calories unless it was for one meal! ;)

I sit and wonder if maybe I am too old to do this. Did I waste too much of my life already and is there enough left over for this to be worth it?

I hope to meet many people here that have issues like I do!

girl we are never too old to be healthy and fit!! SO no its not a waste of time!! Im 52 and with the weight feel a lot older!!! I know all the feelings- trust me and then some!!! I have to do low carb, high protein diet- yuk!!!! But it is what it is and right now Im only 23 days til my surgery date!!! Youre farther along than I so keep posting on all that is going on and before you know it your date wil be here!!! All the best to you and hang in there!!! :rolleyes:

Hi Chillis, I was 55 when I had the surgery and it is worth it. You will feel years younger as the weight comes off. You will start to do things you've either never done or haven't done in years. Keep us up to date on how things are going, we care.

Frank

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement. I guess being 48 isn't that bad then. I just feel older with all this weight! I started the no carb thing today and right now I could go for a chip or two! That's my downfall! I'm drinking a ton of water instead but it just doesn't have the same crunch. LOL

oh I know chilis- I would kill for a piece of pizza!!!! Its funny but I never really wanted that much in the way of carbs- I mean I did have a piece od pizza once in awhile or some pretzels- I have IBS- so sometimes most of what I eat just makes me sick- but when they tell you no carbs- your bains just goes nuts and you want it all!!! Your lucky that your didn't have to start that til today- I had to start July 1 as soon as I got my date!! So be thankful for that!! I notice just plain old peanuts are low in cards and I have found that a few do the trick for me!!

You had to start your diet on July 1st? That sounds horrible...so sorry for you! But then again, look at how much weight you have lost already!! Congrats on that! I have read other posts of your where you mention that you aren't a fan of protein...you need to become a fan real soon because to lose weight that is what we need to eat the most of. I LOVE protein. Eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt, MEAT...YUM. :)

If you need help thinking of ideas for protein, let us know and we might be able to give you some ideas.

I have actually gained a pound since starting the diet!! That weight was lost in Jan when I had the horrible flu, the bronchitis then the stomach flu and I did manage to loose the rest on my 3 months of dieting. I can eat a small steak or some chicken but its better with a nice baked pot. I just don't like meat as a diet and with the IBS a lot of the veggies I can eat tear my stomach up!!! But I did manage to got some sugar free cherry jello- no carbs and cool whip- no carbs- so that made me happy!! Had a small grilled steak and a few bit of a pork roast I did in a bag in the oven and some broc and cauliflower- went right thru me....... I can eat tuna, eggs, cheese- but fish is awful!!!! I know I will survive this- its just get old sometimes!!! But only 21 more days and counting..... And the funny thing is I have no more energy- but I do have fibro so I don't know if that plays into it- but I also cant sleep at night so that doesn't help either. oh well this too shall pass I suppose :confused:

I had all my pre-op testing today and I am low in potassium so I have to take horse pills from now until Tuesday morning in the hopes of getting it up. They say if I don't, the surgery might have to be postponed. Has anyone ever heard of that??? Bananas here I come!! On a good note though, I've lost 5 pounds since Monday.

Now I was told I have a UTI and need anti-biotics to get rid of it before Tuesday! Seriously!! You would think I would know if I had a UTI! It is hard not to get discouraged at this point! Sure would like a margarita...

Hi Chilis and welcome! You can never be too old to want to better yourself and get healthier! During my pre-op testing they also found that I had a UTI that I had no idea about, and they prescribed me the antibiotics and they didn't recheck me again before surgery. In the 2 weeks leading up to my surgery, mentally, I was a mess, because I just knew that it wouldn't be gone by my surgery date and it would be postponed...again. My surgery was cancelled last year 2 days before surgery and I was crushed. I had already decided if something happened this time, I wouldn't try again. So, as hard as it seems, just try to think positively and don't stress too much. I hope your potassium goes up to the level it should be before surgery. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.
-Jenny

wow sorry to hear that chilis

If you did not have symptoms then they probably found it quick enough for a fast cure. I had to take some antibiotics before surgery for the same thing. It did work out but I know how you feel. It begins to feel like the surgery will never happen, however keep your head up and know that it will happen in good time. Also, it will be worth it when all is said and done.
Good luck

So we had a bbq today and it wasn't that hard to leave the carbs alone. I was a little mad that I couldn't have any potato salad but overall, it was ok. I had a turkey burger without a bun, some veggies and watermelon. And a KEG of water. Surgery is Tuesday and I haven't figured out why I'm not nervous yet. It must be because I have been wanting to do this for the past 4 years. I think I'm the most afraid of the catheter they will insert...eesh.

Chilis- only ONE more day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH for you!!!! You didn't have to to 2 replace meals shakes and then 1 high protein meal 2 weeks before?? Lucky!!! I feel like I have another UTI so Im going to try to get to the drs to have it checked out and get on the meds- I surely don't want to have to have to reschedule!!! Well all the best and when you feel up tp it- get back on and tell me how it was!!! And how youre doing!!!! I have to have the feeding tube- that is my main worry- is that what youre talking about too???

No, a catheter is what goes through the urethra into the bladder so your urine goes into a bag. It is put in place while you are under but it is taken out while you are awake. Ugh! The program I am on doesn't like to do protein shakes because that doesn't teach us how to eat. It just teaches you how to replace meals. What happens when we are done pureeing and eating soft foods and can go back to regular eating? Having an idea of what the real world should be like is what they want us to know. I really appreciate that, plus I really did NOT want to do weeks of liquid anything!!

Chilis I feel connected with you by reading your posts. I have similar weight and timeline as you. Like you, Tuesday is my day. I have been on protein for almost two weeks now and so very tired of drinking sweet protein shakes... I want some salt! I am sorry to hear about your troubles leading up to surgery, I hope it all works out and things go ahead as planned and you will be on your way this week. I think it will be easier after surgery because you wont feel like eating so the thoughts of hamburgers and pizza wont be as strong as they are now. I can only hope!!!!! Take care and add me as a friend I would love to stay close since our surgery and weight is so similar.:eek:

Wow, our weights are the same!! Good luck tomorrow...I'm sure all will go well with both of us and soon enough we will be able to have a slice of pizza. Not a half a pizza but a slice! :)

Take care and when you are feeling well enough, let me know how it went for you! Kelly(Chilis)

Hey, Chilis....thought of you off and on today. Hope all went well and you're kicked back in your hospital bed with some nice drugs on board! Let us know how you're doing when you can!

Mimi

My 60th birthday was just days before my surgery. I didn't even question my age when deciding to get it done. I knew I didn't feel my age yet, and didn't want to for a long time. I am 2 weeks out and have not regretted it one bit. There are times when I see an ad on TV and I think how good something would taste, but that only lasts a moment. I do sometimes feel hungry, but if I would work harder on protein that probably wouldn't happen. Good luck to you and soon you will be feeling better than you have for years.

Well, they found a ruptured hernia when they went in so it was not a classic bypass. Leave it to me to be difficult! So I had to say longer in the hospital and today is the first day I have been awake for longer than an hour. I have been just soooo tired and very sore! I haven't been thinking about eating much yet, only to tell my husband what to get me. Yesterday was bad because I kept falling asleep during my meals. It took me all three meals to eat ONE lite yogurt!! Seriously!! Water is hard to get down also, when you are sleeping...jus saying. Then there is that exercise thing...our furniture is comfortable, right? Well, bad because it makes it HARD to get out of it. I wish I had something pushing me from behind helping me get up!

Oh and I gained 10 pounds. Shouldn't I have lost that?

Back