• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie - Surgery Date July 16th

Chilis
Don't fret over the weight gain it is from all the liquids and meds they give you in the hospital. You should not even look at a scale for a couple of weeks, some say three weeks. I hope you start to feel better soon. Congrats on getting the surgery and starting your journey.

Congrats on the surgery, sounds like you're doing ok. Yea, gaining weight during your hospital stay sucks, but it happens to all of us and it goes away quickly. I agree about waiting to get on the scale, one thing though, measure yourself. Then when you step on the scale once a week, measure yourself. Not only should you be losing weight, but inches as well. During a plateau, you may lose inches and not weight and that is ok. Good luck and ask anything you want, we're here.

Frank

:cool:

Hey chilis, sounds like you have been on a lot of pain meds, that's what keeps making you fall asleep probably a good thing overall. I had to stay the extra day in the hospital too because my pain meds were making me nauseous, but all that's gone now. I also gained weight in the hospital about 8 lbs I think the IV's are spiked with calories. Anyway take care glad you are at home and hanging in there.

Hello, and I am new to this site too. I can definitely identify with the 1200 cal per day diet. I was on the same one eatting real food pre-op. Just remember to keep a list of the things you eat, and vitamins + water. Add a 15 minute walk daily and you be where you want to be for your surgery weigh-in. Lots of Luck on your journey too.

So everything I eat and drink makes me feel either pain or queasy. I told my surgeon and he said it was most likely because I eat too fast. So today when I woke up I started a yogurt...took two bites and I could feel the pain. It takes hours for the pain to go away. I honestly cannot continue to live like this. I'm not getting no where near the amount of protein or water that I should...not by half. Does anyone have any ideas to save a life here?

Kelly

Yogart Yogart and You

Hello and sorry to hear that yogart is making your stomach sad and gassy. They say I could and or would be lactose intolerant post op and YES. I ate some yogart in the end of second week post op cream soup stage, and my stomach hurt and I got really gassy with stinky farts and stinky poo time....:eek: just being honset and real about it. So what to do? I decided to slow things down and not to race back to full solid foods so fast. Vitamins and cooked mushy green stuff, and protein (kinda Paleo diet style). Green leafy stuff is loaded with calcium, so thats been my alternative. As of now at almost 6 months post op, and I can eat some cheese and about a teaspoon of any other dairy, even yogart, but just a teaspoon... I tested it too. :rolleyes: Still get some gas, but it could be worse. I have a teaspoon rule: no more than three teaspons of non protein things during meal time at this early stage of post-op life. I read labels on everything... even being kind of nerdy (good thing) finding out that an orange has 2 grams of protein and stuff like that. Keeps my stomach happy a lot the time. Hope this helps.

Back