• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie. Surgery soon on 6/4/2014

klw

Hello Everyone. My name is Kristen. I have chosen to have gastric bypass surgery to help me with some medical conditions that I have and help with weight loss. I am having my surgery at the Bariatric Clinic in Michigan. I have been looking for a online support group since I have been disappointed with their web site and prefer being online rather than a group setting.

My surgery is soon and I am preparing myself for the best. I am worried tho about being able to take my medication. Right now it takes me 6oz of water to take my 7 pills. I have heard that you can get your meds compounded or at the least grind them up. Does anyone have any input that would be helpful for this.

Welcome, I have the lap band and have no trouble taking my pills and some are big. You may be able to get off of some of them after surgery. If you do have problems take them one at a time.

thanks for the advise. I wasn't sure since the nutritionist mentioned that I wont be able to swallow anything bigger than a m&m. Has me nervous

Hi Welcome to the forums. I have been hoping for someone to learn with on here that is local. I live so close to you, I have a friend that lives right by Costello Elementary! I won't put my location in here though! :) If you ever want to go for coffee or something I would love to have someone IRL to talk to about this stuff. I haven't told any of my friends or family yet. My consultation is next week and I'm SO ready to get on with healthy life. I know that I won't have many supporters of my methods, but they will all do whatever they can for me in spite of their disapproval... so I'm lucky in that respect. Do you have family support?

Carina

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the forum. I had the sleeve and I had to wait 2 weeks to take my meds but, like Sissy620 said you may be off of some of your meds. My diabetic meds were like big horse pills but, I didn't have to take them and because of this surgery I don't have to take them anymore yay. I only take my pain meds and the meds for my stomach and I take them and my vitamins. What I do is take 1/2 of them at one time then wait about 20-30 mins and then take the rest of them. It's a learning process but, you will learn quickly what works best for you. Good luck and return often.

TillieS

thank you guys for your advise and for the friendly welcome. I hope that this surgery does make it so that I wont have to take some of my pills anymore.

Hello Carina. That is cool that you are close. I am not against meeting up some time for coffee or tea. I do have family support. Most of the family are really excited for me to make a healthy change. I do tho have a mother in law that is not approving. I am not sure why since she has had the lap band surgery. The surgery sadly for her has not helped her take off the extra weight. Good luck on your consultation. I think the longest part of the process is the insurance approval. For me it went pretty fast tho, two weeks and all I had to do was take a psyc test. I have heard horror stories tho about the hoops you have to jump thru for your insurance to approve it.

Where are you going to have your surgery at? I am going to the Barix Clinic in Ypsilanti. They specialize in bariatric surgery for over 20 years. Let me know how it goes.

Kristen

I am a Newbie as well. I am on my liquid diet now. My surgery is Next Tuesday. I wish it were tomorrow, I am so ready. My sister has had the bypass as well and did wonderful. She lost close to 200lbs.

On my insurance I had to have 6 month of vists with my PCP and tons of paperwork. The waiting was hard. It was worth every bit of it.

wow that great that she did so well. I go for my pre-op on the 20th. Cant wait! Good luck to you

Hello Everyone. My name is Kristen. I have chosen to have gastric bypass surgery to help me with some medical conditions that I have and help with weight loss. I am having my surgery at the Bariatric Clinic in Michigan. I have been looking for a online support group since I have been disappointed with their web site and prefer being online rather than a group setting.

My surgery is soon and I am preparing myself for the best. I am worried tho about being able to take my medication. Right now it takes me 6oz of water to take my 7 pills. I have heard that you can get your meds compounded or at the least grind them up. Does anyone have any input that would be helpful for this.

I had many pills to take, some very large but I managed to get them all down. The 2 huge Centrum were the hardest but I managed. I would take my vitamins first. Then awhile later I would take my vitamin B12 and vitamin D3 and then awhile later take my prescription pills. My calcium was and still is chewable. I wanted the chewable vitamins but had trouble finding the Centrum chewable at first although I later took Flinstones which is on my list of acceptable vitamins from my bariatric surgeons office. I went back to my Centrum pills after a few months. Just space out your pills if you have to. No worry..

Cheyenne :cool:

Back