• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NEWBY from Indiana

Goukuk

I've been under doctors care for weight loss for about a year. I feel better but have lost little weight or lose weight then gain back. My medical problems are Diabetes (on Metformin 1,200 mg twice a day), Diabetic Neuropathy (mainly in right foot). My husbands insurance is specific in locations for bariatric surgery. At first was told I would be driving 698 miles to Hanover, PA but got a call from my 3rd party rep saying I was approved for Cleveland, OH. Thats 5 hours closer. MUCH BETTER. They have all my records, my insurance has already started their process, and my initial evaluation in Ohio is September 25th. There office told me I could be looking at surgery in about 3 months. That would be great because I will have met my out of pocket and not have to meet it again. I'm wondering if anyone else has had surgery that quickly? I've not drank pop since July. I have a few friends that have had this surgery so I have asked them ALOT of questions. I'm hoping since I have very little medical problems that will make it easier on the requirements that they want me to meet before surgery. If anybody has insight or would like to share their story of how/when/expectations..... I lost about 100 pounds 5 years ago but gained it back. My family doctor seems to think since I lost that with NO help that having this and the tools that come with bariatric I will be fine with my support I have. Would love to hear from anyone with advice, encouragement, etc. THANKS

Welcome to the group! It is amazing that you lost 100 lbs. on your own! As for having the surgery in 3 months, first off congrats. Your new journey begins soon :) I have two close friends who were in similar situations. One had the surgery like you, 3 months after the process started, the other was actually scheduled 1 month after starting the process. I can tell you that the individual that had 3 months to prepare has done amazingly well. She is very active and positive and was able to go from around 280lbs to 135lbs and has kept it maintained now for 2 years. The other that only had a month to prepare...wasn't mentally prepared and struggled a lot through the first 6 months after. She wasn't ready for the daily maintenance of the protein and vitamins that is a major life style change after the surgery. She didn't give it a healthy enough respect and fell into complications with malabsorption very quickly, which put her in the hospital a few times until she was able to handle the various changes that you must make to work with the tool that you choose by having the surgery. Just reading over your intro, I think so long as you keep a healthy positive outlook, follow your docs instructions, and embrace the life style changes you will be a success! Best of luck on your new journey and welcome again, this is an amazing and supportive group. :)

Welcome to the group. My original surgery date was 2 1/2 months out from my original consult date. Unfortunately, due to chest pains from acid reflux, no heart issues what so ever, it was decided on the day before surgery, by the anesthesiologist, that I needed a stress test and surgery had to be rescheduled another 1 1/2 months down the road. I was livid as I had not only gone through the mental prep, but also the 2 week protein shake only diet. Not very pleasant in my opinion. I was lucky in that the only weight issue health wise that I had was high cholesterol. Everything else weight wise was good except my weight. I was morbidly obese. I'm 5'9" and weighed 363# when I first stepped foot into my surgeon's office. 9 months after surgery I am 238. I've lost slower than most as I take 4 meds that cause weight gain, that's where a lot of my pre surgery weight gain came from, but I'm losing so I'm happy.

Welcome welcome! Please ask any questions you might have. Not to mention we are all here as a form of support :)

Back