• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nicotine Test

Chad

Did you take a nicotine test even if you were a non-smoker? What was your experience with this? Was your test the morning of surgery? Was your test blood? Urine? Saliva?
Thank you

My doctor didn't require one, but he did say that if I ever started smoking he would discharge me from his care and I would have to find a new doctor! Luckily I have never been a smoker, but he is dead serious about his patients not smoking after their surgery.

My surgeon did not require a test because I am a non smoker but his practice was very strict on about being dropped from the surgery if there is a positive test. I understand why they reason why they require a test due to the healing process and the effects that nicotine has on the body.

I've never been a smoker and that never came up in any of our conversations. However, my husband does smoke (only in his man cave or outside) but that is all good stuff to know if he ever has surgery of any kind.
I am sure that this is one of those things that the doctors want to see patients give up for the obvious health benefits. I know that it was not only a requirement of the doctor but his entire practice in general and the insurance company also made it clear that you if were or are a smoker that you needed to test negative for nicotine. One of the people that was in the pre op support meetings that I went asked the doctor at one of the meetings how they would even know if someone was a smoker and he said that usually a patient will have at some point mentioned to a doctor that they are a smoker or it is already indicated on the electronic health record due to other side effects from smoking. Needless to say the patient threw a fit and said that it was an invasion of privacy and HIPPA regulations....until the doctor said you consented to access to your electronic health record by acknowledgment at the onset of the pre op program with your signature stating that we can access the information. Goes to show the details are in the fine print i guess.

I think that Diane had also posted a link in the past that talks about recovery from surgery from the Mayo Clinic and on the page it went into detail about the general recovery from surgery and why they have people go thru the stages pre and post surgery, the diets, etc, etc, and about how nicotine (not just smokers but smokeless tobacco as well) can effect the healing process in some patients. Either way it was pretty interesting to read, who would have thought it would have an effect on the healing process.

It's understandable for sure. And by the way, it has been in my records for many years that I'm a nonsmoker so that is probably why they never mentioned a nicotine test. And I'm sure I probably checked off nonsmoker on the many bariatric forms I filled out. My husband though is very stubborn when it comes to smoking. Good think he doesn't have a weight issue. But he's had dental extractions where he isn't suppose to smoke and does anyway. :rolleyes:

Did you take a nicotine test even if you were a non-smoker? What was your experience with this? Was your test the morning of surgery? Was your test blood? Urine? Saliva?
Thank you
Yes, my surgeon required all their patients to be tested. I was a cigarette smoker and a heavy one at that. As far as what time the test was taken it was totally up to me. I knew it wouldn't matter whether I took the blood test in the morning or afternoon.

Back