• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No energy - even with B12 - advice?

rebeccajcs

I return to work in 2 days, and I'm anxious because I must stand for my entire shift at work but have little energy. I am taking vitamin B12 1000mcg orally per day as well as a once monthly B12 injection that I got last week. I have been walking 40 minutes once to twice a day. When I clean house, go shopping, or go to someone else's house, I have to sit down a lot. I'm not out of breath at all - I just feel tired. I'm fine if I'm sitting. Do you think it's just because I have been off work for a month, and my body is no longer accustomed to standing all day? Did you have a similar experience? Any tips? Thanks!

Hi Rebeccajcs,
By my calendar you had surgery just 25 days ago. You're still healing so you should feel tired. This is normal. When you go back to work make sure you are getting a minimum of 60 grams protein and your 64 oz of water. Both will help give you energy.

You are walking a lot, I couldn't walk that long that soon after surgery, but I'm 62 yrs so maybe that's why. Now I can swim for two hours and walk the dog for one, but I'm 26 weeks post op.

Don't waste your energy fretting right now, just give yourself a chance to rest and heal. When you go back to work, take it slow, and rest when you can. You'll survive this and be proud you did.

Let us know how it went at work and good luck. Right now enjoy your time off and sleep, you'll regain your energy faster if you help your body to heal by resting, hydrating, and getting your protein.

Best wishes,
Kt

Thanks, Kt! I like that I can count on this support group for a reality check. :)

Yes, you are still healing. It also sounds like you are doing a bit too much this early in the post op experience.

Kt has it right. Make sure you are getting your fluids in (at least 48 ounces, preferably 64 or more) and absolutely very important is your protein of at least 60 grams. I have heard that many woman are encouraged to get even more protein into their diets roughly equating the male requirement of 80 to 90 grams.

Check with your Doctor on all this.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I returned to work. After getting two B12 shots - 3 weeks apart - I found that I had more energy. Now I just take oral B12. Everything is going well. Thanks for your advice and reassurance. :)

The energy comes back little by little. My issue is my sleep pattern is shot. I work part time as a limo driver. Sometimes I have to get up at some obnoxious hour in the morning like 3:30am.

Other times I can sleep late.

However, I never sleep late!

It has been a life long issue and continues even after my surgery.

I am now at goal weight or lower.

In fact, I decided to drop my goal weight to 195 now.

I have been in maintenance mode now for about a month.

But, I also feel tired. I don't know what it is.

All my blood work says everything is great.

No help coming from me.

Ralph

Have you both had a sleep study? Could it be sleep apnea? Dehydration, lack of Vitamin D (common problem), and low thyroid are all possibilities for low energy. And of course, not to mention, lack of exercise. If I feel sleepy, I try taking a brisk walk, I have found it perks me up, maybe it's the extra oxygen. If I'm still sleepy after the walk, I take a nap if I can. I just know that I have to get away from food, because if I'm tired I tend to want to eat something to regain my energy. Bad situation. Sleepiness causes fatness for me anyway.
Keep us posted how your tiredness gets resolved or not. :-/.
Katie

Have you both had a sleep study? Could it be sleep apnea? Dehydration, lack of Vitamin D (common problem), and low thyroid are all possibilities for low energy. And of course, not to mention, lack of exercise. If I feel sleepy, I try taking a brisk walk, I have found it perks me up, maybe it's the extra oxygen. If I'm still sleepy after the walk, I take a nap if I can. I just know that I have to get away from food, because if I'm tired I tend to want to eat something to regain my energy. Bad situation. Sleepiness causes fatness for me anyway.
Keep us posted how your tiredness gets resolved or not. :-/.
Katie

All good thoughts.

I have had multiple sleep studies. My sleep apnea is gone as a result of the weight drop.

My vitamin d3 level is 67; I take 8000 iu's supplement a day.

Just completed a bunch of blood work everything is fine.

I tend to cat nap during the day, which drives my wife buggy. I literally can catch an hour any time.

When I don't have to work early hours I do better. I do manage to sleep OK from around 12 midnight up to 5 to 6am and usually up by 7am no later.

Sometimes, though, I wake up and that is that.

What I need to do is get to bed earlier; like around 10am or so. However, it is the evening hours that just being around my sweetheart makes her happy even if I am dozing off in the chair!

Back