• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NO MOTIVATION TO EXERCISE

I’m really struggling with the exercise part of my pre-surgery plan from the exercise physiologist that I met with. I’m not an “exercise” person. I prefer walking, which I know isn’t much. This out of shape, no energy body of mine just cannot find the willpower to do 4 workouts each week (2 cardio and 2 strength). How do you guys do it? How do you get motivated to workout? I know how important it is to incorporate an exercise routine after surgery. I just cannot find the energy to do it right now.
3A4A6974-4090-4DBF-B83F-C7261399D33F.jpeg

If all you can do is walk, then walk, and walk some more. Cardio and other exercise aren't very effective for fat loss, so you don't really gain anything as far as helping lose weight goes, but there are many other health benefits, of course. Most of the benefits can come from regular walking and other activities. I didn't do much pre-surgery, but post-surgery I started walking daily and got up to several miles a day within a month post-op.

Doing some resistance exercise (working muscles) is definitely recommended after surgery while the rapid weight loss is happening to minimize muscle loss compared to fat loss, but it doesn't take too much time and it doesn't have to be that intense. You can just use your existing body weight. No need for weights and such, but things like resistance bands can add a bit to it. Obviously, it still requires a bit of commitment and motivation, but anything can be turned into a habit. The hard part is getting started and doing things long enough to reach that point of it being normal.

A few months after surgery, I decided to get physical therapy to help get more comfortable with exercise movements since my body had changed so much. It was really helpful and sort of forced me to do more than I had been.

Just being active and moving is enough to make a difference. It doesn't have to be an "exercise" plan per se. It could be gardening or some other outdoor hobby, hikes, bowling, golf, housework, hobbies, etc. Push yourself to go out and learn some new things that involve movement and fun, etc.

I despise traditional exercise. Every time I saw my dietitian pre op she’d ask how I was doing with exercise, and my answer was always the same- I’m active, but I just don’t exercise. Same now. While the weather is good this morning I’m going to start doing some garden prep for spring. I will be sore as heck tomorrow, and that’s my exercise. My heart rate increase, I sweat, I use more muscles than I would otherwise. I’m not a weight lifting, yoga posing person. Sometimes I wish I could be, but I know myself. You know yourself, so do the “exercises” that you are comfortable with.

I feel for you bc I really struggle with doing exercise, although calling it "movement" works better for me. I am so ready now to go out and start walking again now that we are starting to get more nice weather days again. Plus my WLS twin is helping encourage me to walk with her, bless her heart. But working out at at a gym is just not on my radar right now lol!

Two books I really like that have good practical advise for changing things in your schedule that don't come naturally are: "Tiny Habits" by BJ Fogg, and "Good habits, Bad habits" by Wendy Wood. I have a hard time making myself exercise (I just walk outside) after work - and something that helped me is that I put on my tennis shoes before leaving work, and don't change clothes - I get home, get a drink of water, grab the dog and go. I also save that time for my "reward" of listening to a good pod cast.
And, speaking of podcasts - "hidden brain" has a couple of episodes on developing habits that don't come naturally, and NPR's "Life Kit" series also has some good ones on exercise.

Hi Suzanne -

We must share the same non-work out body and brain. I’m not a jogger - I wouldn’t run if Ted Bundy was chasing me. I’m not that kind of girl! :p. My exercise started as walking. At first it was just around our driveway. It got better to the point that I started walking from my front door to the end of the driveway - my driveway is 1/4 mile from my front door - and it’s all uphill walking back to my house.

I’m not allowed to exercise right now - due to my current weight - but as it got better I was able to actually walk when I went shopping at Walmart or Sam’s. Before I rode a scooter around the stores. It’s been 2 years since I had to ride a scooter around any store.

Not having to depend on a scooter to get around in the grocery stores or other stores has been my ultimate NSV.

My husband and I always spend a week at the beach. We’ve done it for many many years. It was always difficult for me to walk on the beach. He’d walk I would sit and watch and take pictures. In 2020 I was 8 months post-op when we went to the beach - I actually got to take a stroll on the beach hand in hand with my best friend. It was AMAZING. It was something I hadn’t been able to do in YEARS.

My point is - walking is exercise. Start with short walk do that till you feel you have the energy to go farther. You’ll know when you can go farther. My surgical team said any movement was better than no movement. They said pushing the vacuum around your house is movement - start small and work your way up. I started really small - I have too many children to have to vacuum - I’d hate to deprive them of their chore money- so my youngest vacuumed while I watched BUT I did raise my feet several times so she could vacuum under my chair…..:rolleyes:

Back