• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No Post... so here goes!

I love watching old movies. My favorite old movie actor is Gary Cooper. Of course my favorite movie staring him is...Sergeant York and Friendly Persuasion.
I have a friend who has on her bucket list ...to watch all the movies that won "Best Show" in the academies. The first movie was....anyone know????

It is "Wings" from 1927. It stars Clara Bow, Charles "Buddy" Rogers, Richard Arlen, and Gary Cooper. It is a silent film.

I enjoy watching old movies as well. There are several of the stars from the old movies that I really enjoy watching. Maureen O'Hare (I was named after her), Stewart Granger, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Jeff Chandler, and James Darren (Moon Doggie). There were more but these are the ones I watched the most. My daddy and I loved watching old movies when I was a kid and I still love doing that.

A few years ago I bought a set of CD's with over 50 old movies on them. Before I could even put a dent in watching them HD TV kicked in and like everyone else with older TV's I had to hook up converter boxes to my TV's. Well, now my VCR / DVD player won't work because the converter hook up didn't take into consideration that certain old TV's don't have enough ports to connect properly. I recently found a website that gave instructions to buy a "splitter" and showed how to make the connections to make the player work. I'm planning on going to the electronic's store to get the splitter so I can watch my old movies and all of my other DVD's that have been collecting dust. Wish me luck *LOL*

My wife thinks I was born too late, because I'm always watching old movies and TV series. My favorite actor is John Wayne and his best movies are The Quiet Man and the Shootist. I love the old Westerns the best but most of the old movies are enjoyable. I think I finally got sick of all the special effects in movies for blowing things up and killing hundreds of people. The newer scripts have no heart, no soul, no characters you can believe in.

fkrebs-I'm like that too except I don't care much for silent movies. I grew up listening to music, a lot of music. My mom had quite a collection of records and she played them every weekend. We would even Polka around the dining room table *LOL* Back then we had a TV and radio that both used tubes. Almost every week we would have to pull the tubes out and walk to the neighborhood drug , rain or shine and even blizzard conditions, that had a tube tester and carried the replacement tubes. My mom's record collection had a little bit of everything like big band, jazz, polkas, Lawerence Welk, Liberace, rock and roll, symphonies, Christmas and even some "off color" comedy from Red Foxx that we weren't allowed to hear. So I like just about any type of music and know most of the lyrics and melodies for everything old. The trouble is that none of my fiends or relatives like to go to the symphony or to a club that plays jazz and I don't like to go alone so it's been ages since I've been to see a live performance. Once I have my hip surgery and recover I plan on going to see something "live" at least once every other month.

I am youngster here so my favorites are a little newer but classics for me none the less, here we go... Paint You Wagon best musical ever:rolleyes: and all the Clint Eastwood movies and of course John Wayne's Rooster Cogbern movies and my favorite comedies are everything Mel Brookes ever wrote :cool: Tom

Sgt. York is one of my all time favorite "Oldies". And I really like John Waynes movies best. Especially "Green Berets" and "Hellfighters" As far as I know they were both based on true stories. Love a good musical, "Sound of Music" and "Grease" to name a couple. And I have'nt seen a bad Clint Eastwood movie yet. Seen "Trouble with the curve" last week and it was very good.

fkrebs-I'm like that too except I don't care much for silent movies. I grew up listening to music, a lot of music. My mom had quite a collection of records and she played them every weekend. We would even Polka around the dining room table LOL Back then we had a TV and radio that both used tubes. Almost every week we would have to pull the tubes out and walk to the neighborhood drug , rain or shine and even blizzard conditions, that had a tube tester and carried the replacement tubes. My mom's record collection had a little bit of everything like big band, jazz, polkas, Lawerence Welk, Liberace, rock and roll, symphonies, Christmas and even some "off color" comedy from Red Foxx that we weren't allowed to hear. So I like just about any type of music and know most of the lyrics and melodies for everything old. The trouble is that none of my fiends or relatives like to go to the symphony or to a club that plays jazz and I don't like to go alone so it's been ages since I've been to see a live performance. Once I have my hip surgery and recover I plan on going to see something "live" at least once every other month.
Tally ho!!!! Good for you!

Lookee you, Lori! You dredged up a post so old, we've never heard these voices before! What a treat. I can relate so much to some of this, especially doing the polka! We had a t.v. in the basement and there was lots of room around there so we would go for broke, sisters and brothers, cousins, aunts, and my dad & mom dancing cheek to cheek. And a one and a two (or as Robin Williams said, "Ever hear Lawrence Welk being a d.j. at a club? He's like, 'And a one and a two, get a down, get a funky...'")

My dad had a beautiful Irish tenor voice, though he was a Dutch immigrant, and Mom taught herself to play the piano, and took turns doing so in Church every Sunday (later, she picked up organ as well). Two of my sisters got singing lessons (have no idea how they could afford them) and two others took piano lessons. This was an investment for the day we'd take the stage as the new, improved version of the Lennon Sisters! We sang for every public event, sacred or secular. The surviving sisters still do, as far as I know, but they could never match what we did in the Fifties and Sixties.

And Redd Fox? For us it was Red Skelton, but he was forbidden. Mom hated him because, as she said, "I hate people who laugh at their own jokes." Redd Fox didn't show up on tv until Sanford and Son, in the 1970s.

I had a big BW tv with tubes that I watched well into the 1990s. It was so cool, it actually picked up HBO on Channel 2! Take THAT, Comcast!

And on that subject, did anyone here see "My Favorite Year?" It was Mark Linn Baker's first film role as Benjy Stone, producing a late 1950s "variety show." My god, that movie is brilliant. And Peter O'Toole? Who knew Lawrence of Arabia could do comedy? Dinner in Brooklyn at Benjy's mom's place, with her Filipino bantam-weight husband who served a meatloaf made of parrot... "They're not easy to work with! They put up quite a squawk!" and Lainie Kazan, who never used her gorgeous singing voice (one of the only 33 1/3 records my parents had was by her), married in real life to Joe Bologna, who played the star of the show, spluttering as her sister-in-law arrives for dinner wearing her 50yo wedding dress because it was the fanciest thing she had to greet the movie star guest: "Sadie! You look beautiful! What a lovely dress!" (gritting teeth)!" and Sadie says, "You like it? I only wore it once!"

Les Paul and Mary Ford singing "How High the Moon..." as intro music...
Belle passing hors d'oeuevres, "A little liver?"
Joe Bologna, "What a stinkburger!"
Alan Swann's secret daughter, Tess, played by Cady Maclain, who, 20 years later, did soaps for 11 years and is now A WOMAN DIRECTOR!

And the great Alan Swann's epiphany, "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."

I wonder if this is on DVD. I was just thinking about it the other day, almost posted to this Movies forum to ask our local cineophiles if they'd seen it... It's star-studded, masterfully scripted, and unlike Sy's monologue, FUNNY!

Watching that movie from a design and music standpoint, on a farm outside Seattle instead of Rockefeller Center, 30 Rock, in NYC, was a whole lot like taking a tour around my family manor! Only a few movies bother to get every period detail correct. Even within the movie, if I recall, King couldn't wear his watch during the swashbuckling scene with Alan Swann because watches like that didn't exist in the 1700s.

Highly recommended

Last edited:
I love watching old movies. My favorite old movie actor is Gary Cooper. Of course my favorite movie staring him is...Sergeant York and Friendly Persuasion.
I have a friend who has on her bucket list ...to watch all the movies that won "Best Show" in the academies. The first movie was....anyone know????

It is "Wings" from 1927. It stars Clara Bow, Charles "Buddy" Rogers, Richard Arlen, and Gary Cooper. It is a silent film.
Friendly Persuasion is me of my favorite old movies

Lookee you, Lori! You dredged up a post so old, we've never heard these voices before! What a treat. I can relate so much to some of this, especially doing the polka! We had a t.v. in the basement and there was lots of room around there so we would go for broke, sisters and brothers, cousins, aunts, and my dad & mom dancing cheek to cheek. And a one and a two (or as Robin Williams said, "Ever hear Lawrence Welk being a d.j. at a club? He's like, 'And a one and a two, get a down, get a funky...'")

My dad had a beautiful Irish tenor voice, though he was a Dutch immigrant, and Mom taught herself to play the piano, and took turns doing so in Church every Sunday (later, she picked up organ as well). Two of my sisters got singing lessons (have no idea how they could afford them) and two others took piano lessons. This was an investment for the day we'd take the stage as the new, improved version of the Lennon Sisters! We sang for every public event, sacred or secular. The surviving sisters still do, as far as I know, but they could never match what we did in the Fifties and Sixties.

And Redd Fox? For us it was Red Skelton, but he was forbidden. Mom hated him because, as she said, "I hate people who laugh at their own jokes." Redd Fox didn't show up on tv until Sanford and Son, in the 1970s.

I had a big BW tv with tubes that I watched well into the 1990s. It was so cool, it actually picked up HBO on Channel 2! Take THAT, Comcast!

And on that subject, did anyone here see "My Favorite Year?" It was Mark Linn Baker's first film role as Benjy Stone, producing a late 1950s "variety show." My god, that movie is brilliant. And Peter O'Toole? Who knew Lawrence of Arabia could do comedy? Dinner in Brooklyn at Benjy's mom's place, with her Filipino bantam-weight husband who served a meatloaf made of parrot... "They're not easy to work with! They put up quite a squawk!" and Lainie Kazan, who never used her gorgeous singing voice (one of the only 33 1/3 records my parents had was by her), married in real life to Joe Bologna, who played the star of the show, spluttering as her sister-in-law arrives for dinner wearing her 50yo wedding dress because it was the fanciest thing she had to greet the movie star guest: "Sadie! You look beautiful! What a lovely dress!" (gritting teeth)!" and Sadie says, "You like it? I only wore it once!"

Les Paul and Mary Ford singing "How High the Moon..." as intro music...
Belle passing hors d'oeuevres, "A little liver?"
Joe Bologna, "What a stinkburger!"
Alan Swann's secret daughter, Tess, played by Cady Maclain, who, 20 years later, did soaps for 11 years and is now A WOMAN DIRECTOR!

And the great Alan Swann's epiphany, "Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."

I wonder if this is on DVD. I was just thinking about it the other day, almost posted to this Movies forum to ask our local cineophiles if they'd seen it... It's star-studded, masterfully scripted, and unlike Sy's monologue, FUNNY!

Watching that movie from a design and music standpoint, on a farm outside Seattle instead of Rockefeller Center, 30 Rock, in NYC, was a whole lot like taking a tour around my family manor! Only a few movies bother to get every period detail correct. Even within the movie, if I recall, King couldn't wear his watch during the swashbuckling scene with Alan Swann because watches like that didn't exist in the 1700s.

Highly recommendedView attachment 2324View attachment 2325View attachment 2326View attachment 2327View attachment 2328
That’s a great movie ! I actually recorded it to a dvd from the tv years ago

Back