• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not feeling happy about weight loss

Jasmine

Hi everyone I had duodenal switch on 9/1/20 I weighed In at 267 I’m now 240. I’m not sure if this is good or not or I’m just overthinking haven’t been feeling great about it. Hope someone can give me some positive feedback here. Thank you!

Jasmine, welcome to the group. What do you feel uncertain about? That is a rather astonishing weight loss and I am always fascinated when somebody has had the DS instead of RYGB or VSG. did you have an open procedure? How has your healing gone? Do you have any After Effects like diarrhea, nausea, constipation? The more detail you give us, the better we can express whatever we have in common or what has happened to us postoperatively.

Hi thanks for getting back to me! I had The sleeve about 3 years ago unfortunately I gained My weight back not following my meal plan. I decided to talk with my dr about other possible weight loss surgeries he suggested the the bypass and the duo switch. I researched both and decided to go with the duo switch. I got It 9/1/20 I did Pretty well then about a week later I was Hospitalized due to Severe dehydration. Came home and started getting my strength back. I’m doing well now I’m able to eat solid food but just a couple of bites I drink Plenty of water all day long, I go To the gym 3 days a week. I do Have diarrhea a lot especially after eating, nausea has decreased haven’t had to take my pill over a week now which is good. Overall I guess I’m still struggling with my weight gain from my last surgery I’m being super hard on myself now

Okay, thank you for sharing your journey. You have touched on every single important point about weight loss surgery and recovery from it except one: what are you doing about your eating disorder?

People don't go through this and then eat their way back to where they started unless there is something gnawing at them, trying to undermine their success, telling them they need something they don't, or just plain lying to them about how they look and feel.

Those of us who have been through it know that if it was just a matter of snipping this and cutting that, everyone could eat piles of food and never gain any weight. The biggest, baddest, enemy that we face is our self-talk. You don't gain weight without having an eating disorder, and that doesn't mean you are anorexic or bulimic. That means there is something wrong with your brain's relationship to food.

Try reading books about weight loss and self-esteem. My favorite is called "the only diet there is." I'm not going to go back and capitalize every one of those words, but that doesn't mean the title isn't worth capitalizing. It is an excellent book and the basic theme is to help you realize you are a goddess, metaphorically speaking. There are exercises you do with pen and paper and there is a lot of really positive stuff in there you can put in your brain. I recommend it highly and look forward to your participation in our group.

Okay, thank you for sharing your journey. You have touched on every single important point about weight loss surgery and recovery from it except one: what are you doing about your eating disorder?

People don't go through this and then eat their way back to where they started unless there is something gnawing at them, trying to undermine their success, telling them they need something they don't, or just plain lying to them about how they look and feel.

Those of us who have been through it know that if it was just a matter of snipping this and cutting that, everyone could eat piles of food and never gain any weight. The biggest, baddest, enemy that we face is our self-talk. You don't gain weight without having an eating disorder, and that doesn't mean you are anorexic or bulimic. That means there is something wrong with your brain's relationship to food.

Try reading books about weight loss and self-esteem. My favorite is called "the only diet there is." I'm not going to go back and capitalize every one of those words, but that doesn't mean the title isn't worth capitalizing. It is an excellent book and the basic theme is to help you realize you are a goddess, metaphorically speaking. There are exercises you do with pen and paper and there is a lot of really positive stuff in there you can put in your brain. I recommend it highly and look forward to your participation in our group.
I will Check that book out today thank you!
I’ve been eating much better salads daily only a couple of bites but better than I did My last surgery. I hit The gym even when I’m not up to it. Drinking plenty of water and thinking more positive well trying to. So I am Trying to change a lot from my previous surgery the do’s and don’t still have a long way to come

I dont know what the average is for that surgery but 27 pounds in a month is a lot. I had a sleeve on 9/2 and lost 16 in the first month and then the following week only a pound. I was told for a sleeve the average was 10-15 a month. I think you are doing more than fine.

Back