• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not losing the weight I thought I would

Misspenny

Hello, I'm new here but I am so frustrated I went online looking for support and I hope I receive some here. So here goes. For the two week pre-op diet I did everything right, then I had my surgery on 12/03/14. I am in the second week of the post-op diet and have even walked a mile two days in a row. Started out walking slowly leading up to the mile. I barely drink the protein drinks as they are hard to get down. I have been following the diet, besides that. I am curious why I lost 8 pounds the first week and then it quit even though I am excersising. Did I do something wrong? And now I am able to get a lot of water down, like 8 oz in one sitting, did I stretch my stomach? I am feeling depressed, I have not had any food yet I'm not losing weight. I did take a few sips of my sisters beer during a football game, did that hurt me? Thank you to anyone that can help me.

Exercise turns fat into muscle, and muscle is heavier than fat, so this is part of the reason. You are probably losing inches though. You should really try to get drink the protein shakes. Protein burns fat and is imperative for the surgery to be successful. Good luck!

WELCOME to the Forum MissPenny and llgilbert50!!!

Yes, protein is essential to losing your weight MissPenny. Without enough protein your body thinks you're starving and puts the brakes on your weight loss. Later you will be able to eat eggs, fish, cottage cheese and other high protein foods but now try hard to drink your shakes. Don't overdo your exercise because at this point your body needs to heal. Also it's quite normal to go days without weight loss then drop 5 lb in one day. Just follow the program and you will lose weight!

Good luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

Last edited:
Right.

The only thing you may be doing wrong is NOT getting your required 60 grams of protein each day.

This is critical.

Otherwise, you will lose weight. As long as you follow the program you will lose weight. The weight has its own way of deciding when to come off.

It is NOT a steady and continuous decline. You will see plateaus, sudden drops, even some up ticks in your weight as you proceed.

Best wishes,

Ralph

If you don't like the protein drink you have switch to another brand until you find one you are happy with. But make sure you have them. I was happy with mine (Six Star Whey Isolate Plus/Decadent Chocolate) but everyone is different. Speak with your nutritionist for recommendations or ask others on this board for suggestions.

you got to get your protien in i get pripemier protien drinks from costco the chocolate is really good and it has 30 grams of protien. good luck.

Hello, I'm new here but I am so frustrated I went online looking for support and I hope I receive some here. So here goes. For the two week pre-op diet I did everything right, then I had my surgery on 12/03/14. I am in the second week of the post-op diet and have even walked a mile two days in a row. Started out walking slowly leading up to the mile. I barely drink the protein drinks as they are hard to get down. I have been following the diet, besides that. I am curious why I lost 8 pounds the first week and then it quit even though I am excersising. Did I do something wrong? And now I am able to get a lot of water down, like 8 oz in one sitting, did I stretch my stomach? I am feeling depressed, I have not had any food yet I'm not losing weight. I did take a few sips of my sisters beer during a football game, did that hurt me? Thank you to anyone that can help me.

So Misspenny how are you doing?

Ralph

Back