• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nothing tastes good anymore

Do everyone seem to feel like nothing tastes good? Things I loved when I take a bite it's so different than I remember it tasting and once I have 2 or 3 bites I'm done because it's not good. I find myself having to make myself eat the stuff to get the proein in....I hate the shakes and bullets etc etc etc so I make myself get most in by food now. I never thought I"d ever say I don't look forward to lunch dinner etc but I hate it now. Watermelon however is the only thing that still tastes like it's suppose to :( Any idea how long this lasts? I guess I should look at this as a blessing in disguise :)

Lori

Hi Lori. Our taste buds do change and I don't know if they ever go back to the way they used to, I think part of it may be that we are chewing up our food so well that we are now tasting what the real food taste like, I still love watermelon too so it must be good for us:eek: I was able to find shakes that I like and some protien bars that are pretty good too so I do rely on them for meal raplacements in my 5 to 6 meal a day plan. I have found it has been much easier to eat something every 3 to 4 hours, after about one year I got my apatite back so I didn't have to force myself to eat any more and my meal plan alows me to eat real small portions and not get hungry, if I go more than 4 hours I start to feel relly hungry and my eyes tend to get bigger than my pouch and sometimes I over do it or just eat to quick and pay for it when I finish. Over time you will start to find foods you like and even protien bars and shakes that taste good to you, just keep trying different things. :cool: Tom

The thought of food made me sick but only for 3 or 4 weeks. I even had a discussion with my PCP about this because I thought I would never want to eat food again *LOL* During week 5 my appetite came back. I noticed an increase in sensitivity to salt and garlic and can taste everything better than before surgery. I think Tom could be right because we have to chew everything very well. It could also be because of the pre-op liquid diet, post-op liquid diet and the phasing in of foods. I think part of tasting has a lot to do with memory and acquired taste so we are "learning" all over again. I still enjoy the blander foods like hot cereals where as before surgey I could take them or leave them. Since week 5 after surgery I can't say there isn't anything I don't like except for the things I didn't like before surgery. I'm having a hard time eating whole meats, they make my pouch hurt if I eat more than an ounce at a time, even after chewing them to a pulp. This could be due to the fact that I wasn't a fan of meat for a couple of years before the surgery but it wasn't because I didn't like it, I just chose not to eat it too often and lost my taste for it.

I also have many times a day that I feel sick, like when you go to long without eating that kind of pain and nausea....sometimes it's all day that I feel that? :/

I'm slowly adding tiny things to my diet. I've introduced a few very soft foods, which technically I can start on Monday, so today being Friday, I didn't think it would hurt all that much. I had to take my daughter and granddaughter to the dr today, and my granddaughter wanted pizza for lunch. So we went to have pizza, I got some soup there and a few noodles...the soup had pieces of noodles, carrots, pimiento and tiny pieces of chicken...I could eat that making sure that I chewed everything 30 times before swallowing to make sure that it was good and pulverized. The meat was gross, I couldn't even eat it, even after pulverizing...I guess it's a texture thing. The noodles were good, and I picked some cheese and sauce off a slice of pizza, but it didn't even taste good. I had some 1% cottage cheese yesterday, and it was difficult to eat, I guess I need to mush it a little better.

I am not pushing it, though I am finding it hard to be around everyone when they are eating, especially if it smells really good, I try and sit in another room and have my soup. I can honestly say that I have excellent will power and have turned down everything my 2 yr old granddaughter offers me. Last night she offered me some tortilla chips...and I told her thank you but nana can't eat those, and she is like...ok...then she gets herself a popsicle and asks me if I will share that with her...and those she knows I can eat since they are sugar free, so it makes her happy that I can have a popsicle with her...lol :cool:

I think everyone is right though about our taste buds. I had some tea today, everyone said it tasted really good, except me, I said it tasted funny. But we will see as I add more things to my diet what tastes good and what doesn't.

It has to be rough to smell food and not be able to have it. I live alone so that wasn't an issue, but I wasn't wanting anything to eat anyway for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm surprised that you tolerated noodles this early. Almost everyone in the forum who tried any type of pasta dumped and still do even after a year or 2 after surgery. I don't mean to lecture but please be careful about pulling foods ahead, it can cause some serious complications.Especially stay away from fats and sugars, I heard those are the worst. Pizza Nana? You're much braver than me. I'm still afraid to try it *LOL* It was one of my favorites before surgery. I did try a "skinny" version of a pizza with a low carb flat bread and just a smidge of cheese but I haven't tried the real thing yet.

I stopped journaling almost 2 weeks ago and thought I was doing good but my weight loss slowed down again. Back to journaling to see what the problem is. I haven't been over eating, my pouch won't let me. I think I'm just not getting enough protein. Even with journaling it's hard for me sometimes to get that protein in. It's so very hot here lately that I don't want to cook. I have central air but ithe outside weather still seems to affect what I want to eat for some reason. I do try to go outside and work in the yard almost every day so maybe that's it. It is 95 right now but the heat index says it feels like 104. I was pulling weeds for almost an hour and thought I would fall over before I got back inside. Feeling OK now, drinking an EAS chocolate protein dring AND Hawaiian punch with a fan blowing on me. It's 78 in the house, can't get it much colder than that with my old air conditioning but that's comfortable for me:) :) :)

I tried pzaa when I was 6 months out, if there is a lot of crust I don't do well but in thin crust I do fine, some pizza's I just eat a little crust and the toppings, but like most foods it won't take much to fill you up. :cool: Tom

Costco sells pizza by the slice but it's a huge slice, like 2 pieces. Before surgery I would usually get a slice after I shopped. Now I have no problem walking past the food court without giving it a second thought:) Maybe one day when I'm feeling brave I'll get a slice to go and eat some of it when I get home and freeze the rest. It will probably make 4 meals *LOL*

I only scraped some cheese and spinach off the top...it was hardly anything. The noodles I made sure I chewed really good. I had chili today, and that bothered me, and I only had a few bites of it. Not too worry, I am taking things slowly tomorrow will be a soup and protein day for sure. I do need more protein, but it's hard to always get it down.

And what I really hate are dry hiccups....I get these all the time, but not sure why..I never was like this before surgery....

Hi Nana, Make sure you are not using a straw, that will get air in your tummy and cause huccups, if that s not what is doing it then I don't know what else it could be:confused:. Beans never bothered me, it has always been white bread and pasta, but for some folks pasta has never bothered them, although I had the RnY and you had the Duadinal Switch but still be extra carefull if it doesn't cause you dumping because as good as pasta tastes with spaggetti or lasagna it has got a lot of empty carbs. Your doing great. :cool: Tom

Nana-I heard a lot of people who had WLS get hiccups after they eat, it's a signal that they have filled up their pouch and it's time to stop eating. Trapped air too, like Tom said because of using a straw. I used a straw from the first day I got home from the hospital and never had a problem. Spicy food can also cause hiccups for some people.

My husband got onto me yesterday for using a straw, I didn't have any problems with it, but he said he is looking out for my health. I'm just going to make sure that I take it slow, no matter how sick of something I am, until the time comes when I can add new things.

i get the dry burps when ive had to much and that seems to be about a bite does it ever quit hurting to eat and tasting like yuck im about 6 monthes post op now and had rny and every time i try to eat i want to either throw up or my chest feels like im going to die

I also have many times a day that I feel sick, like when you go to long without eating that kind of pain and nausea....sometimes it's all day that I feel that? :/
Do everyone seem to feel like nothing tastes good? Things I loved when I take a bite it's so different than I remember it tasting and once I have 2 or 3 bites I'm done because it's not good. I find myself having to make myself eat the stuff to get the proein in....I hate the shakes and bullets etc etc etc so I make myself get most in by food now. I never thought I"d ever say I don't look forward to lunch dinner etc but I hate it now. Watermelon however is the only thing that still tastes like it's suppose to :( Any idea how long this lasts? I guess I should look at this as a blessing in disguise :)

Lori
I had bypass on 11/3/2016 with complications due to tumors. Surgery took 6 hours and in hospital for 5 days.
I have lost 65# now and can eat almost anything in small portions.My energy is the worst problem and is very slow coming back
I can walk on the treadmill for 6 7 minutes and that's about it so far.
Watermellon is my favorite also and had a mini cup of tangerines today that was fantastic.
No throwing up or other problems mentioned.
My doc says I am a Poster Boy for this surgery.

Back