• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

NSV

WazzuCoug

I have been sort of avoiding buying new clothes.

I've sent four large bags full of clothes to our local charity collection site, but I haven't replaced them with much, and the clothes I've gotten still don't fit me that well.

My wife got tired of it and came home with a bunch of new clothes. I picked up a pair of pants and said, "I'm sorry, but there is no way these are going to fit!" She said, "go put them on!"

Previous to surgery, I was wearing 44" waist jeans that had stretched out at least another 2" and were TIGHT, but I had refused to go bigger.

She bought be 34" waist jeans, that were also 2" longer than I normally get. Well, they fit! BUT that isn't the amazing part.

Although I had been wearing 44s, that was below my gut. It wasn't my "true waist." When I measured my true waist around my navel line, I was 54" around. When I put on these 34" jeans, they fit around my "true waist" at the navel. That's right, what had been 54" was now 34" and it wasn't even a challenge to button and zip them up. But I have to say they felt tight on my legs. I usually got "comfort fit" things and not straight legs and such.

I felt like I was wearing spandex and was worried that I'd walk into work and people would be like "AAAHHHHHH, I can't unsee THAT!!" because my pants were so tight around my legs and such, but my wife said, "No, you just look thin, it looks really good." I was like, are you sure?

Well, I guess she was right, as no one seemed offended by my pants or my smaller shirt, or anything. I don't go into my office very often these days, although recently I've been going in once a week, and some people asked if I was still losing weight because I looked like I had, etc. No one seemed to cringe! lol.

Anyway, it felt really good to start feeling comfortable with myself again and to wear clothes that actually fit my new body. Although I still hope to lose 25-30 more pounds over the next year, I have to say getting those new clothes was a massive boost that I needed, especially after our power outage situation. It really made me feel like I have been doing the right things and that I need to continue to do the right things to reach my ultimate goals.

Anyway, in another post I had shared that I had gained and then lost some weight after our power/water outage, but this experience with new clothes really helped motivate me to keep on the track I'm on again. I've never been person who really cares about what I wear, but I have to say...it felt good.

That is the way to go! That is a big accomplishment. Also good job to your wife.

I am a big believer in wearing the clothes that fit as your weight goes down. For me it is very motivational. It is ok to show off your hard work and boost your self esteem by reinforcing your accomplishments.

Awesome! I am like you were. Just not ready to go shopping yet for new clothes. Even though a lot of my jeans and sweats are almost falling off of me!! I figure I am in PA where the weather changes at a moments notice so I am still holding off and trying to wait till warm weather before buying anything new. We shall see how this goes. Might end up having to buy some sweats!!

Back