• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Olipop Soda

Fosgate

I stumbled across these at Walmart and another grocery store. Olipop website Expensive at $2.50-3 a can but HINT water was also expensive when it came out. Reading the ingredients and low amount of sugar made me curious to research it a bit to going out and trying every flavor they had. Some of the points I found were this.

• at the price it's for sure a rare treat
  • due to the amount of fiber in a can it also limits you to 1 a day.
  • Flavors- They do have a really good clean flavor vs a heavy syrupy flavor
    • I found a preference for the more fruity uncommon flavors- Strawberry Vanilla, grape, Tropical Punch, vs. the more traditional flavors Cola, Root Beer, Dr Goodwin (pepper), Orange. Maybe simply because the last 3 have a tasty Zero Sugar option in the traditional brands.
    • Flavors in the stores seem limited at the time. I'm looking forward to trying Banana Cream, Cherry Vanilla, Ginger Lemon, Watermelon Lime, (I have also not tried their Cherry cola
  • Prebiotics- A plus for gut health as I take prebiotics and eat a lot of yogurt to try and settle my gut
  • Sugar- At only 3-5 Grams per can is a huge plus for me as my sensitivity to sugar.
  • One con is you have to store them chilled.
  • Great alternative if you are craving a soda or like me, I really miss a soda after years of not having one and you just need to scratch that itch but dont want all the artificial stuff and sugar that goes into a traditional soda and risk dumping.
  • Found mine typically at the front cooler in Walmart and or the produce area where you find kmobucha and other produce drinks.
  • I did find a coupon code if you order from Olipop online REFINERY20 for 20% off 12 pack (also you get free shippin.) for their large samplers

They are, I'm handling carbonation fine, (My procedure was Duodenal Switch with Roux En Y) but I changed a bit how I drink carbonated beverages like beer as well. I don't crack open the can and immediately take a drink. I usually open and let the initial fizz settle and I take small sips like I'm drinking a mixed alcoholic drink. Early on I used to take a sip and let it rest on my tongue until I felt the carbonation dissipate or even open the can and set it back in the fridge and come back for it an hour later. I also make a conscious effort to burp rather than waiting for involuntary action. Doesn't result in a loud audible burp.

When I had my surgery in 2008, there were no restrictions on foods like soda or caffeine. I'm not a big soda drinker but I have one cup of coffee every day. I never stopped drinking coffee and never had any problems. Nowadays, perhaps based on research, perhaps just anecdotal hunches, the insurance companies have applied a lot of restrictions to post-op diet. I had a specific diet crescendo beginning post-op, but my nutritionist had a detailed list from liquid to solid. I think it lasted about a month, and then I was eating what everyone else ate, and all the beverages as well. I did a long puree stage because I wanted to. My surgery was in late August and I remember my first nervousness happened when I dined with relatives at Thanksgiving. That's ANOTHER story. I just took tiny bites, used liquids to thin solids (like gravy on turkey), chewed very slowly and if eating out with family or friends, asked for a takeout container when I gave my order to the wait staff so I could take half of my meal home.

At Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law had had RYGB a month or so earlier. No one knew I'd had it. It was hilarious to me because everyone was hovering over her, trying to make sure she felt okay, offering help with her foods, etc. while I quietly sat, cut or spooned small bites, and put my utensils down while I chewed each bite 30 times. No one even noticed my behavior and I felt really good about that. I felt NORMAL. I even had wine with my dinner.

When I had my surgery in 2008, there were no restrictions on foods like soda or caffeine. I'm not a big soda drinker but I have one cup of coffee every day. I never stopped drinking coffee and never had any problems. Nowadays, perhaps based on research, perhaps just anecdotal hunches, the insurance companies have applied a lot of restrictions to post-op diet. I had a specific diet crescendo beginning post-op, but my nutritionist had a detailed list from liquid to solid. I think it lasted about a month, and then I was eating what everyone else ate, and all the beverages as well. I did a long puree stage because I wanted to. My surgery was in late August and I remember my first nervousness happened when I dined with relatives at Thanksgiving. That's ANOTHER story. I just took tiny bites, used liquids to thin solids (like gravy on turkey), chewed very slowly and if eating out with family or friends, asked for a takeout container when I gave my order to the wait staff so I could take half of my meal home.

At Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law had had RYGB a month or so earlier. No one knew I'd had it. It was hilarious to me because everyone was hovering over her, trying to make sure she felt okay, offering help with her foods, etc. while I quietly sat, cut or spooned small bites, and put my utensils down while I chewed each bite 30 times. No one even noticed my behavior and I felt really good about that. I felt NORMAL. I even had wine with my dinner.

Oh wow! With coffee I was never a drinker for the caffeine but I liked the taste. Back in my teens I’d spend a night with my grandparents watching murder she wrote, mattock and heat of the night before my mother would pick me up again. During that time I would drink coffee and dunk my grandmothers sugar or walnut cookies in coffee. They said “be careful, coffee will stunt your growth.” I was 6ft then and I’m 6’7 now so we know that’s Malarky. Anyway, brings back memories how I lived that dark roast coffee with a hint of cookie or doughnut flavor.

I drink decaf now on an irregular basis. I used to love Starbucks double shots and Fraps. Found I would add a couple shots of espresso or dark roast coffee to half and half and the dump a couple tablespoons of sugar, mix it and pour over ice. I like much of the decaf out there, Starbucks, Duncan, Sams Club etc. I just found and ordered an instant decaf espresso I’m interested in trying with some Silk almond half and half with some Splenda or maybe some of the sugar free syrups I have. I tried a strawberry decaf at a local barista that was really good. Just have to find a better way to steam, froth the half and half/ milk

I rarely drink soda, but did have a diet coke recently when I was very thirsty. I am almost 6 months post surgery and didn't have a problem handling the diet coke (but I did take small sips). My surgical team recommended avoiding carbonated drinks for the six to

I'm 3 years out and carbonation still bothers me. I recently got a cider at a pub, thinking it would be flat. It was not. 3 sips in and my stomach was going crazy. So, I just avoid it all together. But, everyone is different so you may be able to have some in the future.

Back