• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

On vacation and no scale - yikes!

Anne23

My husband and I are on a beach vacation right now - we have been away since Saturday and get home this Sunday. I have been choosing appetizers for my meals at restaurants and eating half. Or sharing something larger with my husband (placing my portion on a small bread plate) and that seems to be working ok - I just don’t eat out this much at home so I am praying my portions are ok. I can tell this is WAY more sodium then I am used to post op! We are on the coast so getting shrimp cocktail or a salad with fish is easy and really helpful. I’m only drinking water. I wanted to bring my scale with me but my husband said to leave it at home and just enjoy the week and make smart choices. I feel a bit like I jumped out of an airplane and I’m free falling! I’ll let you guys know if I gained or not when I get home! In the meantime cheers to vacation and proudly wearing my bathing suit!

Have a great vacation and enjoy yourself, without the scale. Make good choices with occasional treats and you'll be fine. If you are anything like me, I tend to do a lot of walking during vacation and I generally am surprised that it isn't as bad as I expect once I get home.

Hello Everyone, this is my very first posting here and I'm loving what I've read so far. My surgery is coming up in less than 2 months and I am trying to rationalize my biggest fear about this surgery......will I regret it? We have raised our kids and are entering the part of our life where we plan to travel and attempt to live our best lives. My fear is that this new post op lifestyle with take joy from all the glory of world travel or even post risks such as finding food abroad and enduring long flights across the globe. Has the long term issues that come with this surgery made any of what I've said valid or is life more easily mobile?

Hello Everyone, this is my very first posting here and I'm loving what I've read so far. My surgery is coming up in less than 2 months and I am trying to rationalize my biggest fear about this surgery......will I regret it? We have raised our kids and are entering the part of our life where we plan to travel and attempt to live our best lives. My fear is that this new post op lifestyle with take joy from all the glory of world travel or even post risks such as finding food abroad and enduring long flights across the globe. Has the long term issues that come with this surgery made any of what I've said valid or is life more easily mobile?

Hello and welcome. Life is more easily enjoyed with more mobility. I just took a 2 week road trip from San Diego to Chicago. It was so great. I have not traveled out of the country since I have had WLS but when we flew to Italy in 2018, they fed us snacks every few hours. I doubt that has changed. Even on our flight to San Diego we got cookies. So flying should not be an issue. AND .. no seat belt extension. I put my foot on the seat and my arm around my leg!! .
Most countries do not have the huge portion sizes that we have in our restaurants anyway. You should easily be able to enjoy food anywhere in the world. Just less of it. We plan on doing a 2 week trip to London and Paris next year (assuming they let Americans in). I can't wait. When we went to Italy in 2018, my feet hurt every day. I had to skip out on the end of our Vatican tour, since we had been walking morning to night all week and I literally could not take another step So, while I enjoyed the pasta and the gelato, I would gladly have eaten less to be able to enjoy the sites more.

Hello and welcome. Life is more easily enjoyed with more mobility. I just took a 2 week road trip from San Diego to Chicago. It was so great. I have not traveled out of the country since I have had WLS but when we flew to Italy in 2018, they fed us snacks every few hours. I doubt that has changed. Even on our flight to San Diego we got cookies. So flying should not be an issue. AND .. no seat belt extension. I put my foot on the seat and my arm around my leg!! .
Most countries do not have the huge portion sizes that we have in our restaurants anyway. You should easily be able to enjoy food anywhere in the world. Just less of it. We plan on doing a 2 week trip to London and Paris next year (assuming they let Americans in). I can't wait. When we went to Italy in 2018, my feet hurt every day. I had to skip out on the end of our Vatican tour, since we had been walking morning to night all week and I literally could not take another step So, while I enjoyed the pasta and the gelato, I would gladly have eaten less to be able to enjoy the sites more.
I’m from London Missy, and all my family still live in the UK. I’m hoping to go over and meet my baby grandson at the end of October! Can’t wait :)

Welcome to the group! I think you will enjoy traveling so much more post-surgery. I definitely wouldn't worry about it!

I’m from London Missy, and all my family still live in the UK. I’m hoping to go over and meet my baby grandson at the end of October! Can’t wait :)
Congrats on the new grandson. You don't look old enough to have a grown child, much less a grandson lol I'm glad you're getting a chance to go. Have a blast! I'll be asking for suggestions once I get closer to my own trip

Welcome Jadeinez! I totally get your fears, but I’d also say, getting healthy ensures you will be around longer to do all those fun things! I am 100% living life these days and have no regrets. There are challenges post-op but I feel like I have more control over them vs the challenges I had when over weight...I often felt helpless and resorted to sitting out on life.

All, I am back from vacay and didn’t gain or loose last week, maintained and I am thrilled with that! I only loose about a pound a week these days and that pound fell off since returning so, success!

Back