• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One week out & I can't leave the bathroom :(

KathyLev

I have never had diarrhea so bad in my life . I'm still on liquids with alittle jello mixed in. Is this normal ? It's so bad , I 'm wearing adult diapers ! It makes me not want to drink anything ,but I know I have to. Has anyone else gone through this ? I'm miserable .....

I developed lactose intolerance post op which I was aggravating with the Premier Protein shakes I was drinking. When I switched shake brands to Fairlife, the problem resolved for me. I am a year out and can eat most cheeses and yogurts as they are more fermented. I hope you start to feel better soon.

They blamed it on me ,of course ..... LOL I was supposed to start the full liquid diet . I drank alot , but every time I'd eat, , I'd get the "diet coke and Mentos effect" . She said "forget the dirrahea and eat. " Forget it ? It's hard to forget having to take an hour to clean myself and the bathroom up every time. So I ate, but I also took immodium for 4 days along with my food. That did the trick. I'm happy to say after 13 days of hell ... it's cleared up and I'm where I should be. Thanks for asking ((hugs))

Hi Kathy,
I’ve had problems with that myself (I’m pre-op.) I always take loperamide and drink lots of fluids and it clears up within 1-3 days. It sounds like you had a really bad case. Did you take anything in the first 9 days or only the last four? I’m hoping I can learn something from your experience and be prepared. Glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Only the last 4 ,Marie. I asked the nurse in the hospital before going home,if I could take immodium . She said "no - that would defeat the purpose of the Miralax " they gave me . UGH. I couldn't stand it anymore , I took the immodium. I just found this out , the day before I left the hospital , I had a "swallow test" ( to check for leaks ) I had to drink a bottle of contrast solution - which is a Laxative ... then they gave me Miralax on top of it. No wonder I was explosive !!

I have never had diarrhea so bad in my life . I'm still on liquids with alittle jello mixed in. Is this normal ? It's so bad , I 'm wearing adult diapers ! It makes me not want to drink anything ,but I know I have to. Has anyone else gone through this ? I'm miserable .....
It is actually normal since to digestive system has to learn how to work with your new stomach and how he processes food now. I crushed Imodium and took it. Has been helping me.

I wrote a long, kinda gross post about my first bowel movement post-op. Since you can't eat vegetables (thank god for V8 juice), you don't get the roughage you need to process food into stool. That BM was worse than giving birth. Ask your doctor for advice.

Back