• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One year down

Suthy

Had my one year follow-up today and it went well for the most part. Down 90#, 95# by my scale, but you know how that goes! I feel good, able to work more, exercise consistently, even started running and signed up for a couple 5K’s. I’m hitting my Protein/fluid goals and actually feel hunger again. My gallbladder has been giving me the business and my liver panels are off a bit, so that bought me another visit to a surgeon for probable gallbladder removal. This is a pisser and put a damper on my appointment. I don’t want another surgery, the gastric bypass and hiatal hernia repair was rough. This process definitely isn’t for sissies!

Wow, I can't believe it has been a year for you already! Congrats on your weight loss success. Sorry to hear about your needing gall bladder surgery. My husband had to have his gallbladder out at about a year out, as well. He said it was easier than the sleeve. I had my gallbladder out years ago. I don't remember having any issues. I DO remember how much better I felt once it was gone. So, hopefully you'll have a swift and easy recovery.

Had my one year follow-up today and it went well for the most part. Down 90#, 95# by my scale, but you know how that goes! I feel good, able to work more, exercise consistently, even started running and signed up for a couple 5K’s. I’m hitting my Protein/fluid goals and actually feel hunger again. My gallbladder has been giving me the business and my liver panels are off a bit, so that bought me another visit to a surgeon for probable gallbladder removal. This is a pisser and put a damper on my appointment. I don’t want another surgery, the gastric bypass and hiatal hernia repair was rough. This process definitely isn’t for sissies!
Gall blader removal is easy peasy compared to bypass and hernia repair
Thought I was having heart issues when mine acted up causing chest pain .

I hope it’s ok to ask this but I saw you mentioned you are starting to be hungrier. Do you think this is mental hunger and not physical hunger? If so then what is your plan to stay successful? I haven’t had mine yet and I am worried about not being able to stay without hunger pangs. Or that mental hunger will get me. I know I will have to build better habits. I’m just nervous.

I hope it’s ok to ask this but I saw you mentioned you are starting to be hungrier. Do you think this is mental hunger and not physical hunger? If so then what is your plan to stay successful? I haven’t had mine yet and I am worried about not being able to stay without hunger pangs. Or that mental hunger will get me. I know I will have to build better habits. I’m just nervous.
Hi Jenn,

Each person's body is a unique microbiome. You may gain or lose without explanation, even if you eat according to the prescribed eating plan, or the way you eventually change your style to create your own diet. You will probably have both physical and mental hunger. But hunger is hunger and if you want to stay on course, don't let yourself get hungry to the point where it obsesses your thoughts.

I'm 17 years out and have maintained a healthy weight ever since I had the surgery. It's gone up and down, just like anyone's hunger response does. The surgery made no difference as far as my mental hunger went. But I really did a lot of research and learned affirmations and most importantly, learned to PUT IT IN WRITING. I don't think there's a more important thing a person can do. If you write down what you ate, or what you plan to eat, you can't really fail.

Yes, you're nervous and you do need to build healthy habits. But YOU CAN! This worrying you're doing is coming from a part of your mind that probably wants to sabotage you. Don't let it. Start your changes now and be very gentle and positive with yourself.

Sorry I’m so late with a response, haven’t been on the site for a while. Like Diane said, everyone is different, but yes I definitely feel physical hunger, but it feels a little different than prior to surgery. For me, it’s more of an empty feeling. I also feel full much quicker, due to my surgery, where before I rarely felt full. I do still have mental hunger/cravings. I allow myself to eat what I want, but in much, more moderation than before. I’m more conscious of the choices I’m making because of everything I went through to get to this point. It wasn’t an easy process, most definitely not the easy way out. I make a lot better food choices and exercise daily, running and light weight lifting. It’s easier to make good choices when you don’t want to screw up all the hard work you have put in! Good luck! And keep asking for support when you need it!

I just had my one year post on yesterday. I'm down 94 lbs, and numbers mostly good. My cholesterol is still high but lower than a year ago. My surgery weight 264 current weight 170. I would like to lose another 30 lbs. I'm 5'3" and 49 years old. I feel so much better now. Best decision ever.

Back