• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One year out, dehydration huge issue

Mrs McCoy, hydration and protien are very important for your health. I relied on protien shakes and crystal light when I didn't feel like eating very much and water wasn't doing it for me. I drink a lot of ice water in the summer but this time of year I know I woudn't get the fluids I need if I didn't drink crystal light or some warm herbal tea. It is just to cold here in the winter for ice water. Best of luck and give some herb tea or crystal light a try. :cool: Tom

I know this may sound contrary to tradition but you may need to increase your salt intake a little. This will help with the hydration. Unjury protein is an excellent choice for a protein. It is designed for the gastric bypass patient and is very good.

Paula

go to walmart and buy you colorful 1/2 gal mug.fill it i the morning and add sugar free flavor. sip on it all day long abd by the end of the day it will be empty. ou have to have enough water to metabolize what you eat and also if you start to feel hungry take a sip. you are doing great protein is hard but if you are on a budget go to the store and buy sugar free carnation instant breakfast 8oa is 30 gm of proteing .your. choice of milk additive is up to you.you are doing great but do something about fluid intke nowpatti

MRS MCCOY-Drink, drink, drink. I fully agree with Tom about crystal light or some other sugar free powdered drink mix. I like the Hawaiian Punch brands the best and they are less than 1/2 the price of crystal light!!!! I find them at Kmart but I'm sure they are at other places as well. Aldi's brand is good too but Aldi is not country wide, yet. Patti's idea about a big mug is the best way to go. You can take a few sips every little while and before you know it you have had your fluids for the day. I'm still pre-surgery but have learned more here than from my surgeon :) Proper hydration is key for both digestion and nausea prevention. There are also a plethora of other symptoms related to dehydration including feeling cold and weak. You need your fluids in order to feel good.

There are also a lot of bariatric protein based "clear" fruit flavored drinks available at Bariatric Food Source as well as protein based hot chocolates, flavored teas and soups. A word of caution, I found the chicken soup NOT palatable at all (very yucky). I'm sure there are other brands as well. If you use these products from time to time you will get your fluids AND protein at the same time :)

I hope this information helps you out.

I am soooooooo thankful for all of you and your wonderful information!!!! Everyday I come on here I feel better about my upcoming surgery!!!! thank you soooo much for that!

what is your current weight. I have just stepped over the line to 199.I have struggled for months to get it below 200. I will lose my regained pounds and now that the scales have gone from 205 to 199 I am elated. keep those fluids going, they seem to help boost the metabolism. If I can get down to 160 I will be happy. I gurantee all of you do not get complacent it will sneak up on you in about 5 years. Follow pouch rules.no fluids 30 min before or 1 hr after eating. this permits the body to absorb the maximum amount of nutrients. Otherwise you flush the nutrients away and find yourself eating to soon leads to weight gain. I started out at 262 before my RNY in 2003 and lost down to 143 and then I became anorexic and the battle to eat was a struggle. I reached 160 and felt great, looked great and Ihit 60 in 2005 and was pleased to buy clothes off the rack. Guess where those clothes are now. So I am back on track but the struggle to see some loss has finally happened. so 199 doesn't look so bad. good luck to everyone write me if you likepatti

Patti-Congrats on your milestone of 199. I know you are feeling proud and rightly so and I am very happy for you. I enjoy reading your posts and find all of your information to be accurate. Keep up the good work.

Back