• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One Year Surgiversary…..(World’s Slowest Loser?)

Elidh

Hi y’all. I had VSG on 9 July 2020. I had retired the year before, and decided that at age 67 I didn’t want to spend the rest of my years yo-yoing like I had been doing my entire adult life. I went to the bariatric surgery department at Cleveland Clinic and talked to a surgeon, telling him I wanted to get a gastric balloon. He advised against this, saying that the success rate was poor and they weren’t really offering that option anymore. He said, since my BMI (34) was too low to qualify for insurance (Medicare and Tricare) to pay, that I could either gain 17 pounds and qualify for insurance or pay for it myself. The 17 pound gain was not an option for me, so I decided to pay for it myself. In March 2020 I was on day 13 of the two week liquid diet when I got the call informing me my surgery was canceled due to Covid. But I ended up having the surgery in July when elective surgeries were opened up. I did not have pain after the surgery (I had a TAP block) and no nausea! I am losing weight quite slowly at this point, maybe one or 1 1/2 pounds a month now, and am maybe 10-15 pounds from where I want to be. I don’t struggle with the eating part - the restriction is a blessing - but I could probably increase my activity a bit. I wish I had done this sooner - more energy, clothes fit and look better, knees don’t hurt, etc.

I am so happy for you. I 100% agree that you can, and should, do this at any age. Why struggle for the rest of your days? I have finally talked my mother, who is 71, into starting the process. She has horrible arthritis and is about to be unable to walk. They won't consider knee replacement at her current weight (280). They are concerned about her ability to complete the physical therapy needed, as the less she moves the more muscle atrophy she has. She has no other health issues, not even high blood pressure. She has had 3 doctors suggest the WLS but was like "I'm too old". I have shown her the stories from those of you who are a bit older than I am (she thinks I'm a spring chicken at 51 lol). Your stories have helped me show her that she deserves all of her time on earth to be quality time and free of unnecessary suffering. So thank you all for that, as well as for being an inspiration to those of us who are already sharing the journey.

I am so happy for you. I 100% agree that you can, and should, do this at any age. Why struggle for the rest of your days? I have finally talked my mother, who is 71, into starting the process. She has horrible arthritis and is about to be unable to walk. They won't consider knee replacement at her current weight (280). They are concerned about her ability to complete the physical therapy needed, as the less she moves the more muscle atrophy she has. She has no other health issues, not even high blood pressure. She has had 3 doctors suggest the WLS but was like "I'm too old". I have shown her the stories from those of you who are a bit older than I am (she thinks I'm a spring chicken at 51 lol). Your stories have helped me show her that she deserves all of her time on earth to be quality time and free of unnecessary suffering. So thank you all for that, as well as for being an inspiration to those of us who are already sharing the journey.
Bless her heart ❤ Your mother is so fortunate to have such a caring daughter & a supportive medical team. She deserves to live her life in the best way possible. Good luck to y'all!

Back