• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Oops should've picked that up

I'm one month after surgery. This Saturday I was feeling great. I got up and went to dance class and it went pretty good. I stopped off at a store and found this cute little desk on sale. It would be just perfect for a stand to put things on next to my couch. The salesperson put it in my car for me. It doesn't look very heavy maybe 30 pounds. The doctor has me on not lifting more than 10, but it was to cute to pass up. And did I mention it was on sale. When I got home it came out of the car easily and I rolled it into the house. I'm so happy with getting it home. It looks great. I sat down to admire it.
That's were the problem happened. When I tried to get back up my back hurt so bad. My stomach decided it didn't want my back to have all the fun and joined in too. I live by myself, so I called my neighbor to help me get some pain medicine. He went to the store and brought me Tylenol. I got to sleep on the couch Saturday except for one exstremely painful walk to the bathroom. I grabbed some protein drinks to keep my fluids up. Sunday I was able to make it to bed. Yeah for protein drinks and Tylenol. Monday I was able to move for short distances. It's now Tuesday and I can finally move without Tylenol. It still feels sore but not painful. I haven't decided if I'm going to tell my doctor but I'm going to be more cautious about what I lift.

I'm one month after surgery. This Saturday I was feeling great. I got up and went to dance class and it went pretty good. I stopped off at a store and found this cute little desk on sale. It would be just perfect for a stand to put things on next to my couch. The salesperson put it in my car for me. It doesn't look very heavy maybe 30 pounds. The doctor has me on not lifting more than 10, but it was to cute to pass up. And did I mention it was on sale. When I got home it came out of the car easily and I rolled it into the house. I'm so happy with getting it home. It looks great. I sat down to admire it.
That's were the problem happened. When I tried to get back up my back hurt so bad. My stomach decided it didn't want my back to have all the fun and joined in too. I live by myself, so I called my neighbor to help me get some pain medicine. He went to the store and brought me Tylenol. I got to sleep on the couch Saturday except for one exstremely painful walk to the bathroom. I grabbed some protein drinks to keep my fluids up. Sunday I was able to make it to bed. Yeah for protein drinks and Tylenol. Monday I was able to move for short distances. It's now Tuesday and I can finally move without Tylenol. It still feels sore but not painful. I haven't decided if I'm going to tell my doctor but I'm going to be more cautious about what I lift.
(Imagine finger wagging). Girl, listen to your doctor. Would the table have been ok staying in your vehicle until your neighbor could have moved it for you? Ok, enough of my preaching. I'm glad you are on the mend and weren't hurt worse.

I'm only getting half of my fluids since I started to have soft food. I'm working on it but it was easier when the fluids and protein was in the same drink. I don't feel thirst but I'm averaging 32 -40 ounces of water.

I'm only getting half of my fluids since I started to have soft food. I'm working on it but it was easier when the fluids and protein was in the same drink. I don't feel thirst but I'm averaging 32 -40 ounces of water.
Are you not required to have protein shakes anymore? The thing that helps me get my fluids in is taking a boat load of meds in the morning and at night. I get about 20 oz in just from that.

As long as I get over 60 in protein he's good with it coming from soft food. I am thinking about going back for protein drinks for one meal because I don't like my calories going up. I use to average 500 a day. Now it's 700-900.

As long as I get over 60 in protein he's good with it coming from soft food. I am thinking about going back for protein drinks for one meal because I don't like my calories going up. I use to average 500 a day. Now it's 700-900.
I'm required to have them, but when I don't I find my protein level is real low. Like you, I don't want too many calories ingested each day. My shakes have 30g of protein, but the nurse only has me drinking 1/2 of one. I added PB last week to add flavor and protein. It seems to have done the trick. How much longer do you have on the soft food diet? I remember it felt like forever to me, but I wasn't very imaginative in what I ate.

I think your both right. My doctor says minimum 60 for women. Men need minimum 75 grams of protein. So a man shooting for 90 makes would be more on the high side. 75-90 average for the day. One skinless chicken leg is 26 grams. So one chicken leg per meal could be done.

Back