• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ordering bariatric products

I too have looked at several group support sites. I looked at Fusion, and it had info but was really pushing their line of supplies. I am thinking the Nutrition dept should have the best ideas and pricing of the supplies we need to take the rest of our lives.
My cousin and her husband had the surgery in 2016 and are glad they did it so she gave me ideas and the one shake she said they keep stocked up is Premier Protein from Sam's Club.

IMO, you don't need to purchase food or nutrients labeled "bariatric" just because you had bariatric surgery. READ THE LABEL. That's the important thing. Look at the RDAs and study what they mean at the USDA or FDA websites, or even just by doing a simple Internet search. I'm 16 years out from major RYGB surgery, back in the day when they didn't use laparoscopy or have any specialized product.

Start by learning how many protein grams you need in a day. Then study protein sources--dairy, eggs, meats, fish, beans--and their nutritional content. Once you know how many protein grams are in your desired menu, you can count the calories, get a good match, and figure out your daily and weekly meal plans.

Don't skip oral nutrients like vitamins, minerals & other supplements. My surgeon told me before surgery that I'd have to take two multivitamins every day for the rest of my life. That's pretty serious, especially when you look at the cost. My nutritionist told me to study even more, so I added in things like calcium, iron, glucosamine chondroitin, individual vitamins and minerals like C, D, E, etc. With my prescribed thyroid hormone and cholesterol meds, I was taking 22 pills a day in four doses. You can't take two minerals in the same 2-hour period. They cancel each other out. So you don't take iron with calcium, etc.

Anyway, when you're looking at support groups and "nutrition" sites, keep in mind that these (including this one) are provided as a service to you so the corporations that pay for their existence have a captive audience to pitch their supplies to. Your best bet is to study actual scientific sites supported by government entities. They have no vested interest in your recovery or how you get there.

Here's a good place to start: https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400535/DATA/sr21/sr21_doc.pdf

And as I said, I had my surgery a long time ago, and before surgery I NEVER had outstanding results in complete blood counts. Since surgery, I'm a superstar in the doctor's office.

Forget products that target you. Learn the truth about what you're putting in your body. Shakes and powders and other additives tell you a pretty story, but labels never lie. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing--to hucksters and frauds.

IMO, you don't need to purchase food or nutrients labeled "bariatric" just because you had bariatric surgery. READ THE LABEL. That's the important thing. Look at the RDAs and study what they mean at the USDA or FDA websites, or even just by doing a simple Internet search. I'm 16 years out from major RYGB surgery, back in the day when they didn't use laparoscopy or have any specialized product.

Start by learning how many protein grams you need in a day. Then study protein sources--dairy, eggs, meats, fish, beans--and their nutritional content. Once you know how many protein grams are in your desired menu, you can count the calories, get a good match, and figure out your daily and weekly meal plans.

Don't skip oral nutrients like vitamins, minerals & other supplements. My surgeon told me before surgery that I'd have to take two multivitamins every day for the rest of my life. That's pretty serious, especially when you look at the cost. My nutritionist told me to study even more, so I added in things like calcium, iron, glucosamine chondroitin, individual vitamins and minerals like C, D, E, etc. With my prescribed thyroid hormone and cholesterol meds, I was taking 22 pills a day in four doses. You can't take two minerals in the same 2-hour period. They cancel each other out. So you don't take iron with calcium, etc.

Anyway, when you're looking at support groups and "nutrition" sites, keep in mind that these (including this one) are provided as a service to you so the corporations that pay for their existence have a captive audience to pitch their supplies to. Your best bet is to study actual scientific sites supported by government entities. They have no vested interest in your recovery or how you get there.

Here's a good place to start: https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400535/DATA/sr21/sr21_doc.pdf

And as I said, I had my surgery a long time ago, and before surgery I NEVER had outstanding results in complete blood counts. Since surgery, I'm a superstar in the doctor's office.

Forget products that target you. Learn the truth about what you're putting in your body. Shakes and powders and other additives tell you a pretty story, but labels never lie. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing--to hucksters and frauds.
Can I ask what multivitamins you take? The ones recommended to me cost over $100 a month. Looking to switch. Any advice?

I take Trader Joe's Women's High Potency... can't remember all the words, but it's only sold at TJ's in person, though I've seen them for sale online at some e-stores. Oh, and they're chewable and taste kind of citrusy. My surgeon told me I had to take chewables because of my new type of digestive system post-op. I actually got sick of the flavor after a few years, so now I break them up into quarters, then chew them to small bits before swallowing but don't keep them in my mouth any longer than I have to. I'm kinda weird about taste, and my tastes change suddenly. They're really strong, though, nutritionally speaking. I happily recommend them. And they're nowhere near as costly as the ones you take. I think you get 120 (two months' worth) for about $15.

Thank you! This is helpful!

Can I ask what multivitamins you take? The ones recommended to me cost over $100 a month. Looking to switch. Any advice?
Well they had me stop taking the vitamins I was taking because they are gummies. She has me set up to get new multivitamins delivered to my home. I have federal insurance through my job so I don't pay much. I think it helps when the insurance does cover some or all.

Well they had me stop taking the vitamins I was taking because they are gummies. She has me set up to get new multivitamins delivered to my home. I have federal insurance through my job so I don't pay much. I think it helps when the insurance does cover some or all.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. Gummies should be out of the question. They're CANDY, ffs! If you deconstruct a gummy, you get gel and sugar and artificial sweetener and god knows what else. You want a tab, preferably chewable, and you want to pulverize it and swallow it quickly. Let your digestive system do the rest. Gummies can stick to the insides of your organs for a long time. You don't want that!

And I want to reiterate that my surgeon told me I'd have to take a double-dose of vitamins for the rest of my life. This makes sense, since you don't have as much real estate to allow the nutrients to absorb fully after surgery. You can smash two tablets between two spoons, pulverizing them, then add them to a big spoon of yogurt or any other semi-solid food and they'll go down at a therapeutic speed, nourishing every one of your digestive organs on the way.

There's one thing we all need to remember. We have an eating disorder. Our stupid, lying obese minds will try to find a way around every rule and rationalize every bad thing we eat. This is why writing down a food plan daily and detailing exactly what's in each item is so important.

Last edited:
I just have the Fusion chewables home delivered in 6 month doses. My program recommended that specific product so, that's what my husband and I use.

My doctor recently told me that they now also recommend the Fusion twice a day pills for those who don't love 4Xs a day chewable. (Hubby had the sleeve and so look only needs 2 per day). But at this point, that's what I'm used to and they all cost the same so I haven't changed.

PS They cost $30 a month for me at 4 Xs a day and half that for hubby, since he requires two a day. Before the subscription/large order discount.

Last edited:
I just have the Fusion chewables home delivered in 6 month doses. My program recommended that specific product so, that's what my husband and I use.

My doctor recently told me that they now also recommend the Fusion twice a day pills for those who don't love 4Xs a day chewable. (Hubby had the sleeve and so look only needs 2 per day). But at this point, that's what I'm used to and they all cost the same so I haven't changed.

PS They cost $30 a month for me at 4 Xs a day and half that for hubby, since he requires two a day. Before the subscription/large order discount.
I'm definitely going to check into this for sure. Sounds like a great deal!

Back