• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Others eating habits

txmomof3

Has anyone become suddenly aware of how much your significant other eats since your own surgery? I am not sure if I am just hyper aware of it now or if it is increasing like I think it is. I try not to be judgmental but I have noticed he has gone up a clothing size since my surgery, yet when I say anything it causes a huge disagreement.

Has anyone become suddenly aware of how much your significant other eats since your own surgery? I am not sure if I am just hyper aware of it now or if it is increasing like I think it is. I try not to be judgmental but I have noticed he has gone up a clothing size since my surgery, yet when I say anything it causes a huge disagreement.
Yes! I noticed that myself

I guess I am very aware of it, not only from the food perspective but also from a diabetic perspective as he is type 1. I notice that we have had more and more "discussions" about what should be proper calorie and carb intakes that end up with me being the bad guy since "I cheated and can't eat what I should". I am slowly realizing that he is not supportive of me having had my surgery after all. I am just keeping at it since I am almost at my goal (69 lbs lost and 14 lbs to go!!) and feeling better for myself with each passing day.

Since I am the one responsible for feeding my husband, I unintentionally have helped him gain some weight this summer (my surgery was July 12). He is happy to be a little heavier - 5' 11" @ 174 lbs.

I definitely don't comment on it bc he never pointed out my excess weight to me during our entire 15+ years together. Luckily he has been super supportive of my wt loss journey, and probably would lose some weight if I make some healthier snack choices for him. Funny how our significant others seem to have found some of the weight we've lost.

Mine was losing weight long before my surgery. He has trouble keeping foods down. He had surgery for abdominal aortic anyersym. My husband is focusing more on protein and fibers now which is good. He never was much of a bread person. But loves his chips and dip. But even that has gone by the wayside

Yes. I find that he eats his own food and finishes mine as well. I have found myself trying to "help" both him and my mom, as they both express interest in losing weight but then make no real effort to do so. My help is construed as interference or sanctimonious. So, Karen you have the right idea and I wish I'd have followed that path. I have found those around me to be supportive but also, sometimes resentful. It's hard to watch someone succeed at the thing you have repeatedly failed at. That's perfectly natural and I try to remember that, even when they get super petty.
FOR EXAMPLE:
Currently my husband is in the same WLS program that I used and has the same doctor. I guess his whole appointment was her telling him how wonderful I've done. Which pissed him off. So he told my doctor* that I weigh 150 .. I'm currently at 160 and normally weigh between 156-158. Just so she will think that I've gained 10lbs when I see her. And then he informed me that he's going to have the surgery and "do it better."

So petty! .. who DOES that?!? But it really brings home the fact that while I've been so focused on my journey, he feels he's fallen behind. And I wonder if part of that is me saying things like "no, we don't need ice cream" when he wants to grab a cone.

*I just saw my dr. She knows what I weigh!!

Arghhhhhh... I used to be so irritated at my ex for how slowly he chewed. And when he encountered a bite that might have a thread from a piece of celery or something, he'd dig it out of his mouth and put the bits in a neat row next to his plate. It was so disgusting, I'd almost vomit. Yet I couldn't look away.

I once counted his chews as a reality check. He chewed one bite 90 times before he swallowed. A meal took an hour or two and ended in a fight. His mom was the same way, although she'd remove bits of food look at them, and say vile things in Swedish before taking her next bite.

There's no law requiring families to eat together. Sometimes eating apart is the only way to save one's sanity.

I had to spend a lot of time reading pop-psych books to steel myself against these people. This was normal for them, and I did NOT want to be the judge. So I left them to their blithe unawareness. Needless to say, we rarely went out to dinner. When we did, I asked for empty to-go containers before the meal was served, and they kindly used them so they only had a half portion. They loved this, as they were also hyper-frugal.

But it wouldn't have bothered me a bit to announce mid-meal that, since i was finished, please pay the check when you're done and pick me up at that little jewelry shop over there.>>>>>

STAY IN YOUR OWN SPACE. You're a person, not an observer.

Back