• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

our bill is past due

Thanks ! Yeah I’ve been getting dizzy and lightheaded spells for a couple of weeks now . Was always drinking plenty of water and eating the right foods but all of a sudden I was getting real light headed and dizzy . I actually passed out and fell on the floor twice .My dr. Put me on Midrodine for low blood pressure I was getting when ever I would stand up and walk . Just stated it today so I’ll see what happens. Said I have Orthostatic Hypotension

Bill, Bill, check out the condition by going to the Cleveland Clinic online. Notice all the possible comorbidities. It's a pretty serious condition. I only know about it because in 2015 my friend John flew me out to Massachusetts to care for him after pretty scary heart event. I stayed for a month oh, I made sure he didn't get any salt, I cooked and baked then helped him get stronger and he also had Home Health Care visits from a nurse. By the time I left his heart condition was much improved and he jokingly said to me see I knew that you would have a good effect on me. Anyway he did die a year later. I think that you should really look at this as a very informed consumer and make sure that you don't have any of the other comorbidities and that you really have a battery of tests. You are so young! Arf arf arf whole year younger than me maybe. If I was having those symptoms I would insist on being hospitalized for the all the tests including Parkinson's, heart disease, anemia, dehydration and all the other ones you can find this at any respectable Clinic website. I know that whenever this happened to John, his home nurse was extremely alarmed. I don't know what tests you've had so far but you might do better by seeing an endocrinologist than a regular doctor. I do not think that there is any cause and effect from weight loss surgery. But it could be a time bomb. Please let me know if you decide to get tested.

I am a little worried about our dear friend Bill s. He has Orthostatic hypotension.

But as much as much as I am worried about him, I am also worried about you all here. This is something that occurs usually because of heart disease and age. But it is brought on by many of the things that happen after bariatric surgery.

The onset can begin when you have the same set of symptoms as people do after bariatric surgery.

It's very important to stay hydrated and offset these problems which I'm going to paste in below from the Mayo Clinic:

Orthostatic hypotension occurs when something interrupts the body's natural process of counteracting low blood pressure. Many conditions can cause orthostatic hypotension, including:
  • Dehydration. Fever, vomiting, not drinking enough fluids, severe diarrhea and strenuous exercise with a lot of sweating can all lead to dehydration, which decreases blood volume. Mild dehydration can cause symptoms of orthostatic hypotension, such as weakness, dizziness and fatigue.
  • Heart problems. Some heart conditions that can lead to low blood pressure include extremely low heart rate (bradycardia), heart valve problems, heart attack and heart failure. These conditions prevent your body from responding rapidly enough to pump more blood when standing up.
  • Endocrine problems. Thyroid conditions, adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease) and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can cause orthostatic hypotension. So can diabetes — which can damage the nerves that help send signals regulating blood pressure.
  • Nervous system disorders. Some nervous system disorders, such as Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, Lewy body dementia, pure autonomic failure and amyloidosis, can disrupt your body's normal blood pressure regulation system.
  • Eating meals. Some people have low blood pressure after eating meals (postprandial hypotension). This condition is more common in older adults.
< >

so everything that you've been hearing from the membership hear about how you should be eating and exercising and all the other things, including dehydration, are extremely important. I have seen this disease in action, first one day when it happened to my father. By the time we got her to the hospital they could barely even find a blood pressure. Later, a friend with heart disease developed this condition. I took care of him for a month and nursed him back to health, as well as I could.

It can range from being quite annoying to being terminal. It is not something to mess around with. This should be the last time you ever need to be told to drink at least 64 oz of water everyday. You can read about that exact thing at the Mayo Clinic site, or in the text above.

I hope Bill is feeling better and I wish he would give us an update. But he may be very sick. I just wanted to mention his name tonight because there are people here who will say they would like to pray for him to feel better, and there are people here who just care deeply about him and think about him a lot and wish him a recovery and fewer symptoms.

And we'd also really like to see him back here with a few jokes.

In the meantime it would behoove everyone to FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET ENOUGH WATER, seriously, and read all about this at the Mayo Clinic link:

STAY HYDRATED. NO JOKE! WATER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN FOOD AFTER BARIATRIC SURGERY. But you can very easily get adequate nutrition and hydration at the same time and it will be the perfect combination to make your weight loss happen.

Back