• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

out 5 years now gaining

Welcome! What during the pandemic caused your mindset to change? I know that’s a big question, but everyone had different experiences and stressors during that time. What are you snacking on? Is it possible to stop buying your snack foods for a while until you feel like you’ve got more control?

Welcome! What during the pandemic caused your mindset to change? I know that’s a big question, but everyone had different experiences and stressors during that time. What are you snacking on? Is it possible to stop buying your snack foods for a while until you feel like you’ve got more control?
I guess I felt isolated. Wearing sweats a lot maybe…didn’t wear my jeans. My MIL died of neglect in her nursing home…the State found them guilty. Sigh. Snacking on lots of popcorn, an entire box of blueberries, frozen yogurt….sometimes “low fat” lays chips. Mostly stuff that is okay but I eat way too much of it! Thank you for your advice. My husband has always had snack food and it never bothered me before. His Pepperidge Farm fishies are tempting. It is shocking how much different I feel about food.

I’m sorry about your MIL. That’s really difficult. The isolation has definitely taken its toll. I was still in the process of having surgery when the pandemic shut everything down. We’ve got a lot of snack food in my house too with my kids and husband munching all the time. I just try to make sure I’ve got something to nibble on too. Would portioning put snacks help with portion control? Is there a new goal you could strive for? Doesn’t have to be a weight goal, but are you making plans now that things are opening up? You’ve come a long way, and sounds like you’ve done really well.

Welcome to the group. So sorry about your MIL, very sad that it was neglect. I've had a struggle the last couple of months myself. I'm a year out from surgery and not at my goal yet but I've had a life change that has thrown me off a bit and I'm trying hard to get over that. I've always said since starting this journey that we need to work on the inside as well as the outside. I've lost sight of that lately and today I've worked extra hard on reeling that in. Getting back to my basic habits and the rest should fall into place.

Do you think your husband would be okay with him not having snack foods for a while or at least have him buy the stuff and put it somewhere else in the house where you don't see it? Lately I've bought stuff for my granddaughter who is living with us now and I'm not doing well with having that stuff in the house, so I am just not going to buy it anymore. Healthy snacks only (she is 13), and I noticed she reached for the carrots and hummus last night! Yay!

It isn't easy to restart but if we've done it before we can do it again, right? We've got a thread here called Daily Inspiration, I hope that will offer you some inspiration and motivation. Best of luck and lean on us if you need support.

I’m sorry about your MIL. That’s really difficult. The isolation has definitely taken its toll. I was still in the process of having surgery when the pandemic shut everything down. We’ve got a lot of snack food in my house too with my kids and husband munching all the time. I just try to make sure I’ve got something to nibble on too. Would portioning put snacks help with portion control? Is there a new goal you could strive for? Doesn’t have to be a weight goal, but are you making plans now that things are opening up? You’ve come a long way, and sounds like you’ve done really well.
Yes!! Portion tupperware-like containers!
Didn’t think of making plans. Thx.

Back