• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain after surgery

CNicole

Good morning everyone. I just had RNY surgery on 10/14 and I was discharged to go home 10/15. They said I was doing fine the hospital with my walking and holding down liquids. But it seems like now that I’m home the pain is miserable. How long did the post op pain last for you all? I’m hoping this is the last of severe pain.

What kind of pain? There’s a lot of gas pain associated with abdominal surgeries. But not the usual gas pain, it’s the gas they use to inflate your abdominal cavity to have room to move things around. That gas moves up and out through your shoulders. Heating pads and walking help. If it’s pain around the incision sites, that will take a little time. My surgeon did small shots of lidocaine around the incision sites to minimize pain post op. If you have an abdominal binder that can help with the pain as well because it minimizes muscle movement. I’m sorry you’re having pain, and if it gets too bad call your surgeons office.

What kind of pain? There’s a lot of gas pain associated with abdominal surgeries. But not the usual gas pain, it’s the gas they use to inflate your abdominal cavity to have room to move things around. That gas moves up and out through your shoulders. Heating pads and walking help. If it’s pain around the incision sites, that will take a little time. My surgeon did small shots of lidocaine around the incision sites to minimize pain post op. If you have an abdominal binder that can help with the pain as well because it minimizes muscle movement. I’m sorry you’re having pain, and if it gets too bad call your surgeons office.

it’s definitely gas pain. I’m trying to get it out is hard. But I’m moving around just fine. I just never heard anyone say it was bad pain. I’m day 3 so hopefully today will be the last day of severe pain

Back