• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Painful incision

SunshineAwaits

I am 7 days out and my incisions are healing great! Minimal soreness, except for one. I think it’s muscle related. The pain radiates from my back, side then to my front stomach muscle, right into one of my incisions. Wow! I see stars if I attempt to sit up or lay down in a bed. Anyone else experience this? Should I be worried? It is so different then the others!

Wow! I see stars if I attempt to sit up or lay down in a bed. Anyone else experience this? Should I be worried? It is so different then the others!
[/QUOTE]
That sure doesn't sound right. Get to the doctor. Do you have a fever? Is there any oozing from the incision? Did you ever have surgery in that location before? I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago, that was also laparoscopic. The bariatric surgeon came across scar tissue in one area where he made an incision. That area hurt much longer, but nothing like you have described. You should discuss this with your doctor.

The pain radiates from my back, side then to my front stomach muscle, right into one of my incisions. I be worried? It is so different then the others!
Sunshine, you may be experiencing nerve pain. That did happen to me because I had a long incision for the open procedure that was done on me. I remember once trying to get out of bed and this ungodly pain, worse than anything I had ever felt in my life, just took over my abdomen and back. I could not get out of bed. I could barely move. I was so lucky to have my cell phone. I called my roommate from my bedroom to come and get me out of bed. That is truly the worst pain I have ever had in my life. My nerves that were cut in that particular part of my incision have never regenerated or healed. I have a TENS unit that I can use on it. But I cannot wear pants with a regular waistband unless they are exactly the right size. The least pressure that's put on my waist causes pain.

That said, I simply make sure I have elastic in my waistband somewhere to allow for my belly to get larger after I eat. I still hike mountains and pilot a canoe and go camping and there is nothing that I cannot do now. I just have to make sure I don't put that pressure on.

Back