• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Participating in Nutritional Study

WazzuCoug

WARNING: I'm just sharing, not suggesting anyone do anything different that what is prescribed by their doctor nor a change to any person's personal food religion. Do what's right for you. In other words, don't do anything like this without a high degree of caution, research and medical advice from a doctor you trust.

I'm excited to be participating in a large scale nutritional study and microbiome analysis. This week I'll be receiving a kit to collect a stool sample and a blood sample. I'll also be wearing a continuous glucose monitor for two weeks.

On one day I'll be eating special muffins in the morning designed to trigger a glycemic response, and then different muffins in the afternoon to trigger a fat response. The rest of the two week period I'll be logging and weighing everything I eat. I'll have set experiments to run with different food combinations and experiments with the same foods but prepared differently to see how that affects glucose response. I get to choose the foods I eat and test, but I have to log and photograph everything that goes in my mouth.

I'm interested to see what my response is to various foods. I'm especially interested to see how my body responds to zero calorie sweeteners. I only consume naturally derived sweeteners (stevia, monk fruit, sugar alcohols), but there is evidence that even those (as well as artificial sweeteners) can trigger glycemic response and insulin release in some, if not most people. I'll probably be experimenting with a few different sweeteners during that time.

About six weeks after the study, I'll get a report on the bacteria in my microbiome and what foods I metabolize the best and what combinations of foods would work best for my gut to encourage my body to stay lean. I'll also get a report about my ability to metabolize fat and whether I'm a good or bad fat metabolizer and which fats are probably best incorporated into my diet (or not incorporated). I'll be able to input food combinations into an app that will provide feedback on whether its a combination I'll metabolize well or potentially poorly. It will also show what good foods I can combined with less healthy foods to get positive metabolic response.

These studies are not sponsored by any corporate interest and are led by scientists from Massachusetts General Hospital, King's College London, Stanford Medicine, and Harvard.

My personal goal from this is to try to pick the best foods for me that will help me maintain what I've achieved. I feel pretty confident about what I'm eating, but if you have been around this forum long enough, you know I love to learn as much as I can about these kinds of things. So, I figured why not learn and also be a part of something that might benefit science, too.

I'll be documenting this in my vlog as well, if you are interested.

I'll definitely share how it goes. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is eating the breakfast muffins. There are three muffins, and I'm supposed to eat all three for breakfast one day. It might be a bit of a tight fit. I'm sure a person with a bypass wouldn't be able to "stomach" it, and I'm sure I'll have to be careful and chew well. Also, the morning muffins are pretty high sugar, so a bypass patient might get a serious case of dumping syndrome. I had the sleeve and I haven't had any issues the few times I've had some significant sugary treats, so I'm not too concerned about that part of it. I'm more concerned about the volume of three muffins. There are only two lunch muffins, but they are higher in fat.

It will be interesting, no matter what.

Back