• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

People eating

Kcuster83

OK- Maybe I am just crazy but I have always hated being able to hear people chew.

BUT NOW..after surgery.. I CANNOT STAND IT! Being around some people eat really makes me want to vomit. How they eat, how fast they eat, their giant bites that barely fit into their mouths, their chomping and slurping!

It literally turns my stomach. It also gets me so irritated, bad. Like I think about punching them or taking their food and throwing it across the room.

I know I have read some people being grossed out by how much people eat, but that doesn't bother me. You do you, although I do think "man, I can't believe I uses to eat that much or more"

Is this just me???? Am I nuts??

Girl, I am with you 100%. I have always hated the sound of crunching loudly. I swear my husband’s head is hollow because when he eats anything crunchy it sounds like he’s eating ICE! It drives me nuts, even more so after surgery.

I don’t work, but I always notice how people eat on TV. It drives me cuckoo, especially if they eat and talk. We recently watched the Netflix series “Reacher” and the main character eats like a pig. He takes giant bites. And slurping when drinking coffee. Ugh, don’t get me started!

Girl, I am with you 100%. I have always hated the sound of crunching loudly. I swear my husband’s head is hollow because when he eats anything crunchy it sounds like he’s eating ICE! It drives me nuts, even more so after surgery.

I don’t work, but I always notice how people eat on TV. It drives me cuckoo, especially if they eat and talk. We recently watched the Netflix series “Reacher” and the main character eats like a pig. He takes giant bites. And slurping when drinking coffee. Ugh, don’t get me started!
I loved that Reacher though, I can't wait till they come out with more!!
My wife is the worst too, sometimes I get up and walk away and sometimes I tell her she is eating like a pig. (In the nicest way possible)

My wife is the worst too, sometimes I get up and walk away and sometimes I tell her she is eating like a pig. (In the nicest way possible)
My husband totally knows that his crunching drives me nuts. He’s been working from home since Covid hit, so he eats his lunch near me. I turn the TV up and make comments like “Seriously, are you eating rocks or what?”

One night my husband was eating chocolate mint ice cream. He was making crunchy noise eating the tiny little chocolate bits. I was about to leave the room, but I covered my ears instead. Ever since surgery, it’s like my hearing is on high level and super sensitive. My son was opening a new bag of pretzels and it was SO loud and annoying. I paused the TV and said “For the love of pete, could you BE any louder?”

My husband totally knows that his crunching drives me nuts. He’s been working from home since Covid hit, so he eats his lunch near me. I turn the TV up and make comments like “Seriously, are you eating rocks or what?”

One night my husband was eating chocolate mint ice cream. He was making crunchy noise eating the tiny little chocolate bits. I was about to leave the room, but I covered my ears instead. Ever since surgery, it’s like my hearing is on high level and super sensitive. My son was opening a new bag of pretzels and it was SO loud and annoying. I paused the TV and said “For the love of pete, could you BE any louder?”
My smell has gotten more sensitive since surgery.

Why the Sound of Noisy Eating Can Make Some People so Angry. /misophonia-noisy-eating-science/

its common and should be stressed as bad manners to eat loudly. we already have it down as a rudeness to eat with your mouth open.

there are all kinds of funny jokey comebacks you can use with someone who eats loudly when eating with you. i'd keep a list nearby and use them over and over like jokes. the cow chewing its cud will get the message.

my ex not only chewed loudly, he chewed each bite of food until it was liquified. it was so gross on every level. i once count4r hiw bites and one bite alone too 90 chews. i told him we couldn't eat in the same room if he wanted to masturbate his food like that. we each actually did give a little. i just decided not to let him have power over me by grossing me out. i took back my power and taught him table ettiquette, which seemed to occupy so much of his thinking that he had to work hard to eat with other people.

This just has all hit my funny today.

I am happy I do not have this as the special needs people I work with are not always the best at meal time manners. We also a one or two who can't chew with the month closed. This would drive you all nuts. LOL
oh no, that's different. i had a friend (now dead) who was a quadriplegic and I sometimes fed him. it came out of his mouth, just like when i fed my toddler, or any other sick person who needed help. that's not what i'm talking. about. i'm talking about rude, thoughtless people who are so wrapped up in themselves they don't care if you have to turn the tv volume up in order to hear over their chewing! Yeah, mouth noises are sometimes kind of too intimate to feel comfortable, or you associate them with other things, like belching and farting. but no one ever hit the Top Ten with Chew around the Clock yeah yeah. i think most people share basic pleasures of sound, like certain musical instruments or a laughing toddler or purring kitty. Smacking and slobbing and sucking and drooling food would go on a sound effects record, not Number One with a Bullet.

I don't have a problem with someone pointing out something obnoxious i'm doing without thinking. But fingernails on a blackboard don't bother me in the least, so I can send people screaming from the room if i want! I'm selective when I come to asking someone to dial it back, or whatever. and they can always ask me. I feel honored they feel it's safe to approach me to ask, believing I will consider their feelings.

Back