• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Plan to have sleeve surgery in January.

PJ Riley

I will be having this surgery in January. I will complete my 6 month requirement for my insurance on November 19th. What can I expect for surgery prep?

I will be having this surgery in January. I will complete my 6 month requirement for my insurance on November 19th. What can I expect for surgery prep?

Hi PJ! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Every surgeon is different. Some require a certain amount of weight to be lost before surgery. Some do not. Some want their patients to be on a liquid diet a month before surgery, some require a much shorter time. My surgeon only required clear liquids 3 days before the operation. Some surgeons will require the liquid diet to be a certain diet drink and some don't care as long as it's liquid. You should make an appointment with your surgeon and your nutritionist to find out exactly what your surgeon expects from you. You should also get a list of your vitamins, minerals and a menu for after the surgery. It's very important to be prepared with exactly what you will be needing to eat and drink so you don't eat the wrong foods at the wrong time. I was on liquids a week after surgery but was allowed cottage cheese, applesauce and scrambled egg after the 2nd week. Some other surgeons keep their patients on liquids for a month after surgery. It all depends on your own doctor.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Thanks Cheyenne,
I will be seeing my surgeon next week to schedule. I had to wait the 6 months for my insurance and this is the last meeting. I started the vitamins 5 months ago and maintaining my weight so far.

Back