• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Plastic surgery

Kathi_S

When I lost 100 lbs almost 20 years ago (went from 270 to 170), my husband paid for me to have skin removal from my abdomen and arms.

He offered this as an incentive during the weight loss process, as I was really struggling. I also think he didn't like the hanging skin anymore than I did.

Anyway, the surgeon did a pretty bad job of things, but I have never had any hanging skin from my abdomen even with all the yo yoing since. But my arms have always been flappy.

I never had any work done on my face, and I wish we had spent our money there instead. With all the years of yo yoing I am 60 but feel like I look 80.

The first thing my husband said to me after we decided to have this surgery was that if I needed it, we could redo the plastic surgeries. I told him that all I really cared about was my face.

I know it sounds vain, but my husband is 9 years older than me and looks 10 years younger. When his nephew was introduced to me, he thought I was my husband's mom.

I don't care about the rest of the skin. If it bothers my husband, I'll have it removed. But I would like to look my age again.

Anyone feel like that? Am I being too self conscious?

Last edited:
I think everyone deserves to be the best version of him/herself. If that means changing your outward appearance thru WLS, clothes and makeup, a new hair style, plastic surgery, etc, you should not feel any of that is vanity. It's more like an artist working on a sculpture, imho. Good luck and please be happy with the path/s you take, especially if they make you feel better. Again, you absolutely deserve this! ❤

I think everyone deserves to be the best version of him/herself. If that means changing your outward appearance thru WLS, clothes and makeup, a new hair style, plastic surgery, etc, you should not feel any of that is vanity. It's more like an artist working on a sculpture, imho. Good luck and please be happy with the path/s you take, especially if they make you feel better. Again, you absolutely deserve this! ❤
Thanks Karen, I guess it all depends on how well I do and if I am able to maintain the loss, and whether it is even an issue at that point. Who knows, I may just learn to love the new me just the way I am.

Thanks Karen, I guess it all depends on how well I do and if I am able to maintain the loss, and whether it is even an issue at that point. Who knows, I may just learn to love the new me just the way I am.
My mom is a beautiful woman and I mean beautiful, blonde hair green eyes and yet she felt the need to have work done cause she felt similar to you. I wish she wouldn’t have but it’s not my body. I feel like when you find one thing wrong then you will find another and it just goes on and on. I’m a firm believer in aging gracefully as I have seen the artificial side to it as far as cosmetic surgery goes. I’m sure this isn’t what you wanted to hear so sorry about that but it’s my honest opinion. I’m only 35 but already noticing wrinkles and bags etc… I just keep using my ani wrinkle cream in hopes it will get better (probably won’t though LOL)! In the end you do what makes YOU happy especially since it’s YOUR body.

Kathi, I think you should do whatever it is that will make you happy. Just make sure you do your research, as we've all seen how bad a bad face lift can be. (Joan Rivers, Courtney Cox, Nicole Kidman etc.) There is nothing wrong with being vain. There is also nothing wrong with being old. It happens to the best of us lol Although, I will say it is absolute BS that older men look "distinguished" and women just look "old."

I agree, do what makes you happy. Just for the record, if I were to do anything, I would like my sagging eyes done more than anything else, so I get the preference to do the face. My arms bother me more than my stomach but I am learning to live with it because I am not doing any surgery at 67 and the experience I had with sepsis last year. If I were younger, I think I would feel differently though!

Go for it Kathi!
You are NOT being vain.
I did my eyes when I was 42 to get rid of the bags, nose was done in 1986.
I also had liposuction twice which I am able to see the results at this current weight.
No reason we can't take advantage of what's available to us.

If anything I would do my arms. They still require a bigger shirt then the rest of my body so things don't fit right. Exspecially if I wear a woman's shirt. However part of me embraces it as a success. My stomach doesn't really hang that much. It did before from 2 csections so I don't notice it being any different amd I can tuck it into my jeans without discomfort.

If you do choose to do surgery, look for reviews and reputation and not the lowest cost. As previously mentioned you have to anticipate the natural aging process. What may look absolutely stunning today may quickly start to distort tomorrow and you'll find yourself in constant maintaining mode and before you know it your looking like Donatella Versache, Melanie Griffith or heaven forbid Micky Rourke. The less done is often the better.

I have put funds away for this some time in the future. Well for when I stabilize after the year. These are great insights to the good and bad. I did have a breast reduction for back issues and the surgeon cut in all kinds of directions. So I will check reviews and reputation

Back