• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Plateau an need advise on to get going again

donnayork

I'm only 18 lbs from my goal an haven't lost anything in 3 weeks. Good thing I haven't gain anything either. Still eating the same as I was an exercising the same. Walking an running. Walk 15 miles a week an run 6. I really don't know if I get in enough calories or not cause when I mention cals to my dr she says not worry about it. So I stay between 800 to 1,000. Getting in 75 grams protein a day taking my vitamins. Doing everything like I was. So upset with myself cause every time I have lost weight I get to a certain spot an stop an get so discouraged I start to gain. I don't want that to happen. So just looking for ideals on what to change to get me back going cause this not losing is cussing me to fall into a depression an that's not good. Please help!!!!

When I hit plateaus I change up my exercise and do something different. It keeps the body guessing. I usually takes a few days of that and then it starts to drop again. I read some where that you should change up your ecercise routine every 6 weeks. Good luck. You are doing really good!

When I hit plateaus I change up my exercise and do something different. It keeps the body guessing. I usually takes a few days of that and then it starts to drop again. I read some where that you should change up your ecercise routine every 6 weeks. Good luck. You are doing really good!

Thank you for the wise suggestion. It is so much better than suggesting an increase in calories or doing a pouch test, especially when you have been on an excellent and proven weight lose routine. I am adding this to my journal for those plateaus.

Thank you again, it is awesome to hear the word of experience, :)

I'm only 18 lbs from my goal an haven't lost anything in 3 weeks. Good thing I haven't gain anything either. Still eating the same as I was an exercising the same. Walking an running. Walk 15 miles a week an run 6. I really don't know if I get in enough calories or not cause when I mention cals to my dr she says not worry about it. So I stay between 800 to 1,000. Getting in 75 grams protein a day taking my vitamins. Doing everything like I was. So upset with myself cause every time I have lost weight I get to a certain spot an stop an get so discouraged I start to gain. I don't want that to happen. So just looking for ideals on what to change to get me back going cause this not losing is cussing me to fall into a depression an that's not good. Please help!!!!

I can help you!!!!!!! Its all about how you are thinking about things right now. AT this this point do not weigh yourself. Your body is slowing down its weight loss for a reason. Listen to this body and understand that we are wired to survive. When the body gets a low amount of calories it adjusts what it burns to insure that you do not starve to death. We are wired for this phenomenon. Don't fight you body's natural protection. Instead embrace the work that you have done to get this far. Celebrate the fact that you are at the point you are. Try and stay healthy and do not gain just maintain for awhile. Remember those emotions of depression and anxiety can get in the way of your getting to your goal. Protect what you have done so far and stop obessing about the numbers on the scale. If the emotions are overwhelming talk to a therapist.

Basically it is a process that you go through to get you back to where your supposed to be, if you think you've stretched out your new pouch. The small pouch we are left with is supposed to cause a little tightness and give us warning signs when we have eaten enough food. Since we are supposed to always "eat protein first" at every meal, it really doesn't take much to feel full if you listen to your body. However, it isn't that hard to graze on foods, and when processed foods are eaten on the grazing level, over time you can stretch out your new little pouch. Plus the junk food becomes a 'slurry' and moves through the stomach quickly, and your body greedily stores what it can from the slurry, because it is a ton easier to store the sugars and fats than to break down the protein, kind of making this wonderful little work around for the new tool we all spent money on to get installed that is supposed to help us lose and maintain our weight. The test is basically a return to the progression of foods over a period of time that you followed after surgery, to help 'reset' your pouch and get you to feel the tightness again, and help you get back into eating properly. There are different versions of the tests, but overall you start back on liquids, move on to pureed/soft foods, then soft proteins, then firm/solid proteins. Retracing your steps and keeping to protein/water intake goals.

Basically it is a process that you go through to get you back to where your supposed to be, if you think you've stretched out your new pouch. The small pouch we are left with is supposed to cause a little tightness and give us warning signs when we have eaten enough food. Since we are supposed to always "eat protein first" at every meal, it really doesn't take much to feel full if you listen to your body. However, it isn't that hard to graze on foods, and when processed foods are eaten on the grazing level, over time you can stretch out your new little pouch. Plus the junk food becomes a 'slurry' and moves through the stomach quickly, and your body greedily stores what it can from the slurry, because it is a ton easier to store the sugars and fats than to break down the protein, kind of making this wonderful little work around for the new tool we all spent money on to get installed that is supposed to help us lose and maintain our weight. The test is basically a return to the progression of foods over a period of time that you followed after surgery, to help 'reset' your pouch and get you to feel the tightness again, and help you get back into eating properly. There are different versions of the tests, but overall you start back on liquids, move on to pureed/soft foods, then soft proteins, then firm/solid proteins. Retracing your steps and keeping to protein/water intake goals.
Oh ok, Thank you for the information.

Back