• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

PLEASE, PLEASE listen to your body…

Lesa Marie

Some of this will be TMI…. (Bare with me, I’m trying to list all my symptoms to possibly help others). Over the past few months I’ve been noticing excess acid reflux which I talked about here not long ago. I’ve also been experiencing diarrhea more frequent even when I just eat the normal every day foods that I typically have. You’re talking 3-4 times a day which I then run the risk of dehydration. I’ve also had some abdominal pain off and on over the past several months along with chest pains worsening (I’ve had them since surgery and I’m on medication for chest spasms). but just chalked it up to my new stomach causing those pains cause even a year out I’m still trying to figure out how my stomach works. It wasn’t until yesterday that I felt like everything came crashing down and it started coming together in my head that something was seriously wrong. Over the past week or so my body has felt so ran down, even with me exercising which usually boost my energy level. My headaches have been through the roof with it becoming a daily problem and I was have random bouts of nausea that I don’t normally have. Overall I felt like something was not right so I called my surgeons office and after going back and fourth for a while they suggested trying to hold off going to the ER until this Thursday to talk to my doctor about everything cause I have an appointment then. She did say that if things got worse (they were already worse) to go into the ER. I had quickly done some research that day and came to the conclusion that this could be gallbladder problems. The assistant said that my doctor would probably order imaging at our visit but that was still 2 days away. I took it in my own hands and had my husband come home from work to take me to the ER yesterday. You CAN NOT always rely on nurses/doctors to give the best advice because they don’t have the instincts we have over our own bodies and even our children. Always go with your gut instinct! So we got to the ER and explained all my symptoms. Everything happened so darn fast and within 45 min I had a surgeon standing over me asking if I was ready to have my gallbladder removed. I thought it was a joke at first because nobody had even come in to talk to me about the results of the scan! My husband and I just stared at one another in shock. My gallbladder was fully blocked and had gall stones everywhere. So I got on the phone with our children to say I loved them and same with my parents. I was intubated and 4 incisions were made (some in the same spots where I had my sleeve). I went into recovery and stayed until pain was under control then I was able to go home last night. I got some sleep but woke up in awful pain this morning because I went over the time I was supposed to take my meds. At the end of the day, I’m thankful I listened to my body (might have taken a while for it to click). Now I have to figure out how life will work after no gallbladder. I was told I can still eat/drink normally but the first month I will need to take it slow. I don’t eat a high fat diet which could cause problems for people without a gallbladder (think fatty cuts of meat and greasy fried foods) and I also heard sugar and high fat dairy could be issues. We will find out soon! Thanks for reading, sorry I know it was super long but I hope it can possibly help other’s notice some of these signs and reach out for help. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

I’m glad everything’s been resolved!! I was really worried about my gallbladder before surgery since I’d frequently had issues with it. I asked my surgeon to yank that sucker when he was already in. I was so happy he did too because it was honestly my biggest post op concern. Sorry you had to go through so much pain before it was taken out, but hope you feel much better now.

I’m glad everything’s been resolved!! I was really worried about my gallbladder before surgery since I’d frequently had issues with it. I asked my surgeon to yank that sucker when he was already in. I was so happy he did too because it was honestly my biggest post op concern. Sorry you had to go through so much pain before it was taken out, but hope you feel much better now.
Yes, I hear that doctors do that all the time. Knock two birds out at once! Mine did not take mine out at the time because he said it looked okay however he also made it clear that he didn’t look too much into it… obviously lol. I was not interested in having it taken out if it didn’t need it at the time. The surgeon who did the work on me yesterday mentioned that this was an issue before my surgery which can be brought on by obesity, being a woman and having children. I didn’t know any of those things!

Wow , you did the right thing not waiting the extra days. I had severe pain before having my gall bladder removed in 1996. I don’t remember having nausea diarrhea or symptoms like that. I do remember the awful pain of an attack where stone was moving. I did think it was a heart attack at the time. I am glad you are recovering. I remember they gave a list of foods to avoid after surgery. Stay safe and be well.

Wow , you did the right thing not waiting the extra days. I had severe pain before having my gall bladder removed in 1996. I don’t remember having nausea diarrhea or symptoms like that. I do remember the awful pain of an attack where stone was moving. I did think it was a heart attack at the time. I am glad you are recovering. I remember they gave a list of foods to avoid after surgery. Stay safe and be well.
Thank you! I was cleared with a normal diet but I’m taking it easy. So far so good.

So sorry to hear you have gone through this in recent days, but thankful you are now on the mend. I had my gallbladder removed at the same time as my bypass 5 weeks ago. I have some questions about that when I see my surgeon again next week as I'm not sure which is causing which symptoms, the bypass or the gallbladder, or both! From all the questions I have previously asked, and Internet research, gallbladder issues are common both in obese individuals and post WLS, along with genetics. My take is similar to yours that sugar and fats will be processed differently without a gallbladder, but those are things we're trying to limit/avoid anyway. The color of my BMs are light because of the lack of bile from the gallbladder. I'm wondering if it will always be like this. However, I've talked to others that say their bodies adapt over time and the liver drips bile into the intestines for digestion which was the primary job of the gallbladder. I guess time will tell! Get some rest and hope you have a steady recovery!

Some of this will be TMI…. (Bare with me, I’m trying to list all my symptoms to possibly help others). Over the past few months I’ve been noticing excess acid reflux which I talked about here not long ago. I’ve also been experiencing diarrhea more frequent even when I just eat the normal every day foods that I typically have. You’re talking 3-4 times a day which I then run the risk of dehydration. I’ve also had some abdominal pain off and on over the past several months along with chest pains worsening (I’ve had them since surgery and I’m on medication for chest spasms). but just chalked it up to my new stomach causing those pains cause even a year out I’m still trying to figure out how my stomach works. It wasn’t until yesterday that I felt like everything came crashing down and it started coming together in my head that something was seriously wrong. Over the past week or so my body has felt so ran down, even with me exercising which usually boost my energy level. My headaches have been through the roof with it becoming a daily problem and I was have random bouts of nausea that I don’t normally have. Overall I felt like something was not right so I called my surgeons office and after going back and fourth for a while they suggested trying to hold off going to the ER until this Thursday to talk to my doctor about everything cause I have an appointment then. She did say that if things got worse (they were already worse) to go into the ER. I had quickly done some research that day and came to the conclusion that this could be gallbladder problems. The assistant said that my doctor would probably order imaging at our visit but that was still 2 days away. I took it in my own hands and had my husband come home from work to take me to the ER yesterday. You CAN NOT always rely on nurses/doctors to give the best advice because they don’t have the instincts we have over our own bodies and even our children. Always go with your gut instinct! So we got to the ER and explained all my symptoms. Everything happened so darn fast and within 45 min I had a surgeon standing over me asking if I was ready to have my gallbladder removed. I thought it was a joke at first because nobody had even come in to talk to me about the results of the scan! My husband and I just stared at one another in shock. My gallbladder was fully blocked and had gall stones everywhere. So I got on the phone with our children to say I loved them and same with my parents. I was intubated and 4 incisions were made (some in the same spots where I had my sleeve). I went into recovery and stayed until pain was under control then I was able to go home last night. I got some sleep but woke up in awful pain this morning because I went over the time I was supposed to take my meds. At the end of the day, I’m thankful I listened to my body (might have taken a while for it to click). Now I have to figure out how life will work after no gallbladder. I was told I can still eat/drink normally but the first month I will need to take it slow. I don’t eat a high fat diet which could cause problems for people without a gallbladder (think fatty cuts of meat and greasy fried foods) and I also heard sugar and high fat dairy could be issues. We will find out soon! Thanks for reading, sorry I know it was super long but I hope it can possibly help other’s notice some of these signs and reach out for help. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Wow that's crazy! So glad you are okay!

Wow Lesa M., I am so glad you and hubby got this taken care of without waiting 2 more days. Not having your gallbladder with the pain of all those gallstones is such a better way of living, evidently. I sure don't miss mine, and I pretty much eat whatever I like, within reason, 2 years after mine was removed. Good luck with everything.

Good for you! I had a weight loss 20 years ago that led to gallstones and always said it was like having a shovel pressed through my abdomen. I would also vomit and have the big D. I’ve now lived 25+ years without mine and zero issues or problems. Good riddance and good for you!

Back