• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Please someone explain to me how to get 60 grams of protein in.

donnayork

Saw my Dr yesterday, she said no more protein shakes. That I'm to get my protein from my food only. Ok, that's fine but she said that I'm to stick with only 1/4 cup three times a day an only food that contain protein. No fruits or vegtables period. I'm 5 weeks out now going on 6. Someone please let me know how I can do this.

Personally I think your doctor's an idiot. Try Protein bars the ones I use have 20gr. per. I take whatever a doctor tells as a guide line not gospel but that's just me. Anyway don't do it cold turkey work up to it and you will be able be there by your next visit.

cheers

Last edited:
My personal opinion probably does not count but I don't see how 1/4 cup of food even if it is high protein can possibly provide 60 Grams of protein. An egg is only 7 Grams, An ounce of tuna, chicken, or ham is about 6 Grams of protein. Did you have any nutrition teaching by a registered dietician or nutritionist? We did in our pre op classes and the doctor does not involve himself in that kind of teaching - he tells you to call the nutritionist - that is what she is there for. What she taught us was that you should never substitute a shake for a meal and to eat three meals a day plus one snack all high protein. Then use shakes to make sure you get protein. In fact I was told that in reality 60 Grams was the minimum and that they really wanted us to get in about 80 Grams a day. Far be it from me to go against doctor's orders but sometimes you have to use common sense and do what you have to do. If you don't get enough protein you will not heal properly, you will lose muscle strength, your hair can fall out, you will probably get to feeling weak and tired all the time. I say do what you have to do to get in the protein you need. Remember milk, cheese, and dairy products contain protein, too. I can only tell you what they taught me in my pre op classes and it made sense to me. Keep a diary and back off the shakes as you increase your protein from food. Some docs recommend one shake a day anyway like around bedtime so you won't wake up too hungry. I use shakes in the morning because my band is tight even though I am not to substitute a shake for a meal and they said they were glad I used common sense. I don't have to do that every day now, but I know immediately if that is what I need to do.

Dennis, I love the distinguished young man in that picture. I loved your answer about the idiot doctor, I didn't have the nerve to say it. I am not known for tact anyway and am trying to improve ROFL. Loved your post. Joy

Doctors have to earn my respect its the only way you can defend yourself from their stupidity. Up on a pedestal Not Bloody Likely. You have to consider everything critically no matter what the source. And thank you, Joy.

regards

I think she is stupid too. She goes against everything I have learned. I am drinking two 12 oz cups milk per day but cheese doesn't sit well with me. Go figure. I'm also drinking a cup of unjury soup it has 21 grams protein in it but its getting to where the taste makes me sick. I'm one of the lucky ones an a lot of things make me sick. Yippee me!!! She said no protein bars but I'm gonna get some anyways cause I gotta get protein in some how. I have my 6 week appt with the nutritionist next week. Dr really didn't seem to think I needed to see her. But I need some ideals on food or I'm gonna go crazy.

Could you have misunderstood?

Perhaps your doctor misspoke? Or maybe it was a brain fart! Check with her again.

most fish = 6 grams per ounce
most chicken = 7 grams per ounce
most beef = 7 grams per ounce
1/4 cup = approx 2 ounces

I see no way to get 60 grams of protein from three 1/4 cup servings per day. And 60 grams is the bare minimum you should be shooting for. As Joy and others have said, 80 grams is a more desirable goal.

Please speak to your doctor again. If this is the "medical advice" she is giving routinely, IMNSHO she needs to be made aware it's wrong. Don't wait. Call now.

And by no means should you skip your appointment with the nutritionist. Hopefully, s/he is better acquainted with reality.

wow protein strikes a raw cord on this site. Try to call your nutritionist and talk to her. Until then try adding a scoop of protein powder to your food. I had to make a weeks worth of menus showing I could get my protein from food. The only way was with a shake and adding a scoop of protein to the cooked food. I hope you figure this out soon. I have not had the surgery yet so I can only speak from the drilling I am getting in my classes.

Dennis that was funny though

I hope you figure this out and let us know how things turn out

Donna-I'm thinking you need to ask the nutritionist how the heck you are supposed to get 60 grams of protein in when the doc said only three 4 oz. servings of food. It doesn't make any sense to me. In any event I would continue to drink enough protein drinks until things can be figured out. Maybe try having 2 protein drinks and a serving of lean protein like tuna, chicken or turkey. Be careful if you try protein bars because they can be hard to tolerate at your stage. Typically it takes 6 months to be able to eat them. If you do try them make sure to drink a small amount of fluid along with them and chew them very, very well. Also make sure they are low carb.

Although a fantastic surgeon, he gave me some incorrect information regarding calories a couple of months post surgery. When I passed it along to the nutritionist her hair about stood on end *LOL*

Thank you all, I'm gonna continue with one shake a day, two 12oz glasses skim milk an my 1/4 three times a day. That way I get my protein in an continue to try lean meats. Lately I have been getting sick after I eat but found if I get up an walk around it passes quickly. Just want to get to where I can eat an feel some what normal. Feel upset at the whole thing right now. But will be ok, I know everyone has their depression moments. I'm gonna get passed this an be the heathy person I want to be. Donna

Donna-You are only a little over a month past surgery and will start to get you energy back soon. I think most of us had a depression stage. Between the surgery, pre-surgical starvation diet, rapid weight loss, low energy and not being able to eat much it's no wonder we feel depressed. With us women we also have to contend with excess hormones that are released in our fat stores which can cause mood swings and other interesting stuff to happen. Hang in there Donna, you'll start to feel much better in a month or so.

Donna-You are only a little over a month past surgery and will start to get you energy back soon. I think most of us had a depression stage. Between the surgery, pre-surgical starvation diet, rapid weight loss, low energy and not being able to eat much it's no wonder we feel depressed. With us women we also have to contend with excess hormones that are released in our fat stores which can cause mood swings and other interesting stuff to happen. Hang in there Donna, you'll start to feel much better in a month or so.

Pat I've missed you! Where have you been? and you're looking mighty fit.

cheers

Dennios

Dennis-I had a total hip replacement with pelvis reconstruction on 4/2. I was sent to rehab on 4/5 and spent 2 weeks there. I just got home Friday. The surgery went perfectly. The only problem I had was a LOT of pain during the first couple of hours of recovery then again when I first tried to stand up and walk over the next 2 days after which I improved daily. I couldn't even lift my right leg more than 1/2 inch off the floor when I went into rehab. I'm now able to take full steps with an almost normal gait but I need to use a walker for a while until I get my coordination back and more strength in my right leg and hip. I also need to continue to work on my posture to correct a slightly forward stance. For the first time in over 7 years I am happy to say my hip is totally pain free :) :) :) I can't wait to take my beagle, Molly, for a nice long walk.

Donna I'm six months out and still do a shake a day because I can't get all my protein in, I do my own thing it works for me my blood work comes back good you should do the same , eat what protein in a day you can drink the fluids you can what you can't try again another day don't beat your self up I learned that early on you will survive, I wish you all the luck and keep us all posted

Pat I'm so happy to hear your doing great we've missed you on here , I just passed my 100 lb mark a few weeks ago I was so happy, I wish you a speedy recovery, I'm very happy for you :)

Thanks, Susie Q I came to the same decision last night. I'm gonna do what I need to to stay healthy. My husband doesn't like my Dr at all an doesn't want me to be sickly cause she thinks she knows best. On something maybe but not the protein thing. Gonna continue with one shake a day an do the best I can from food. If cant get it in everyday will do a extra shake. Things are just so different an it can get very discouraging when you try to eat an it just doesn't work out. But I'm hanging.
Donna

Wow Donna, I have not had my surgery yet, so I can not really offer any advice except follow the advice of those that have been through this. As I read your posts I feel so horrible for how confused you must be feeling. Here you are trusting in a doctor and now it is as if they don't give a shit once the surgery has been completed. That is what scares me. The fact that I wont be educated enough. It is scary, because it is the biggest change we make.
I find it irritating that we go to a shrink, to see if we can handle the stress of the changes that our body will go through from the surgery. Yet they haven't given adequate information which is now giving you unnecessary stress to your newly changing body. This goes against everything that I have taught in all of the classes that I have gone through prior to surgery.
I was told, and I hope it is true, that I will be given a 6 week plan as to what I will need to eat upon leaving hospital. This is one of my biggest fears, that I will not know what I am doing. Call your nutritionist, do not delay on that.
I hope that you keep us updated. xo lacey

Pat I'm so happy to hear your doing great we've missed you on here , I just passed my 100 lb mark a few weeks ago I was so happy, I wish you a speedy recovery, I'm very happy for you :)

Thank you Susie. Congratulations on your 100 pound milestone and keep up the good work.

Dear Donna:
I am exactly one month out and I too, am having the same issues as you. I cannot get in enough protein and I feel like I have exhausted every brand of protein powder known in South Carolina. The only way I get it down is to hold my nose and swallow it and that is not a good feeling! One of the only foods I can eat is a turkey roll-up and sometimes I can manage swiss on it. Sometimes I think my body is a little different and not ready for real food. I can still eat broth and it always goes down fine and beans smooshed into a paste taste good as well. Protein is my hardest battle to date and since reading your email, I'm calling my nutritionist as soon as I get off this website! I had tried to forget how important protein really is. Other than struggling with protein, I feel great! I'm praying for us Donna!

I'm glad to hear someone else is right there with me. I also can't eat much of anything. Eggs aren't working anymore, chicken makes me throw up. I have cried all day. I have appt next week with the nutritionist. Plus I go back to the Dr Friday. I've been having indigestion that's keeping me from getting food down. Everytime I eat pressure builds in my chest an I can't eat anymore so I have to get up walk around till I burp then I'm good. Took me 45 minutes to get 1/2 egg down. Everything gets cold an I give up. I guess it a good thing I tuff it out an drink one protein shake an 2, 12oz glasses off milk in a day or I wouldn't get no protein its def a jugling act. Hope u get answers.

Back