• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Port Removal

I had lap band surgery 13 years ago. I can’t have anymore fills because I’ve reached maximum capacity. Recently, the area around my port is bothering me. I feel like I have a giant bruise or that someone punched me in the stomach. I’m thinking I would feel better if just the port was removed. Any thoughts?

Are you planning to have the whole thing removed? It’s one piece? Right? I just had lap band removed and gastric bypass surgery. I didn’t want to have my band removed without having something else in place. It has been great having it gone! My port had lots of scar tissue around it on the inside. It made bending over uncomfortable at times and it always hit the washing machine when I was digging clothes out. It also ended my love of yoga. I am excited to start back. I have only thrown up once since having band removed. I used to throw up at least once a week for 10 years. Give me more information on what you are planning. Are you at your goal weight? How much did you lose with the lap band? Did you keep it off?

I had lap band surgery 13 years ago. I can’t have anymore fills because I’ve reached maximum capacity. Recently, the area around my port is bothering me. I feel like I have a giant bruise or that someone punched me in the stomach. I’m thinking I would feel better if just the port was removed. Any thoughts?
Hi, I had my band removed in May and what a joy to eat and not throw up or have to take Pepcid 2x a day. I had a band over my bypass and I just had a revision to my bypass on the 18th. My pouch as dilated and the band was dysfunctional so it had to be removed and then they did the revision about a month after so I will see how this works.

Just wanted to see what everybody else was having issues with band. I had mine for 12 years and the last years was hell trying to get food down. Most of the time got stuck and had to throw up most of my meal. It was a 2 year struggle with insurance to remove this and I am healing right now. I am done with bariatric surgeries, I am 67 and am tired of this surgery merry go round. Anybody else down with this?

Back