• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Positive thoughts

Mama C

After surgery I will be safe money on the groceries would be a good time to get some dental work done I'll eventually have a whole new wardrobe I'll be able to walk pain-free fingers crossed there's a possibility that I won't have to be treated so severely for my insulin resistant diabetes there's a slim chance that my healthier eating habits will rub off on my family may be able to go back to work (sometimes it's the little things that continuously happen that bother us the most) standing at the kitchen sink to complete the dishes without having to take brakes being able to stand and take a shower being able to look down and see your feet being able to reach your feet put on shoes (been so long I may have forgotten how to tie my shoes) I look forward to being able to get into my husband's jacked up truck without climbing on a step stool and a 5 gallon bucket and to be grossly blunt I'll be able to wipe my own butt properly what are you looking forward to doing without so much of your self in the way and holding you down ( I hate gravity)

Before surgery I was looking forward to less joint pain, not being winded going up the stairs, being able to shop for clothes wherever I wanted, and seeing how my overall health improved. I’ve been very lucky to have accomplished all those things at 11 months post op. Completely worth it and I’d encourage anyone who’s on the fence about the surgery, that if they’re mentally prepared for all of it, to just do it!

Mama, turn those into affirmations and say them in your head:

• I can bend over and tie my shoes because I had WLS.
  • I no longer struggle with insulin-resistant disbetes.
  • I can get into my husband's truck without using a bucket.

say them as if they were already facts. One day soon they will be. Believing them now makes them stronger.:)

After surgery I will be safe money on the groceries would be a good time to get some dental work done I'll eventually have a whole new wardrobe I'll be able to walk pain-free fingers crossed there's a possibility that I won't have to be treated so severely for my insulin resistant diabetes there's a slim chance that my healthier eating habits will rub off on my family may be able to go back to work (sometimes it's the little things that continuously happen that bother us the most) standing at the kitchen sink to complete the dishes without having to take brakes being able to stand and take a shower being able to look down and see your feet being able to reach your feet put on shoes (been so long I may have forgotten how to tie my shoes) I look forward to being able to get into my husband's jacked up truck without climbing on a step stool and a 5 gallon bucket and to be grossly blunt I'll be able to wipe my own butt properly what are you looking forward to doing without so much of your self in the way and holding you down ( I hate gravity)
I LOVE your positive thinking reflected in your list. This was a great reminder of some of the many benefits of WLS. I am reminded of the 1st time, about a month after my surgery, that I tied my shoes without my stomach crushing into my ribs. I was so surprised that shoe tying could be pain free! One of so many Non-scale Victories (NSVs).

Thanks for this reminder Mama. You will have so much fun as you accomplish these & so many more. This makes all of the hoops you had to jump through worth it!

Those are great goals to have. Much better than "I want to weigh 1**". All those things can happen for you. I really cannot believe how much better I feel since losing the weight. I tell everyone "I had no idea I felt so bad, until I started to feel this good." Stay the course, Mama. It's worth the struggle.

Back