• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Complications

Tinau72

My surgery was on May 20th. I had the bypass duodenal switch, but they also removed my appendix, and fixed the hernia.
The first 2 weeks were a breeze, yes I was sore and tired, but I was going for walks too. Week three was a complete turnaround for me. I can no longer eat. Everything makes me nauseous. My sense of smell is so heightened I instantly get sick. This week I went into my general practitioner for a regular check up and he did lab work, and my potassium and magnesium were rock bottom. My white blood count was also very low. The doctor recommended that I come in and get two bags of IV fluids immediately. However, that has not helped much, I am still extremely nauseous and have Trouble getting any food or water down. I have also quit losing weight. I think my body is just holing on to anything it can, as I probably only bet down 100-200 calories a day. Can there be something wrong? I know there can be but have other people have these problems. When I went into this I really thought I was going to have to control my food portions, chew my food slowly, I never expected to vomit up everything I try not be able to get water in at all not even be able to swallow pills without vomiting them back up. I need help!

Have you recently advanced your diet away from liquids to puréed or soft? Sometimes you have to go back to liquids and then slowly advance from there. Anyway, I am sorry you are suffering. Please get ahold of your Bariatric team. If you aren’t getting your fluids in and can’t keep anything down then they need to be made aware right away

My surgery was on May 20th. I had the bypass duodenal switch, but they also removed my appendix, and fixed the hernia.
The first 2 weeks were a breeze, yes I was sore and tired, but I was going for walks too. Week three was a complete turnaround for me. I can no longer eat. Everything makes me nauseous. My sense of smell is so heightened I instantly get sick. This week I went into my general practitioner for a regular check up and he did lab work, and my potassium and magnesium were rock bottom. My white blood count was also very low. The doctor recommended that I come in and get two bags of IV fluids immediately. However, that has not helped much, I am still extremely nauseous and have Trouble getting any food or water down. I have also quit losing weight. I think my body is just holing on to anything it can, as I probably only bet down 100-200 calories a day. Can there be something wrong? I know there can be but have other people have these problems. When I went into this I really thought I was going to have to control my food portions, chew my food slowly, I never expected to vomit up everything I try not be able to get water in at all not even be able to swallow pills without vomiting them back up. I need help!
Please get ahold of your bariatric team immediately. You cannot survive on 100-200 calories daily. You underwent complicated surgeries that your gp probably his little or no expertise in. Please call the 24hr emergency contact through your surgery team. Your life depends on your getting medical help now. Please let us know how you are doing.

Back