• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op day 1

Carolyn270

I was told the surgery went well. But the I am full of gas that does not want to be expelled. I hurt. I am walking well but my oxygen is low. I can't pee on my own. Catheter. I hate it. But I hope to be fully recovered by day 2.

Woohoo! It went well :) Hopefully the built up gas will be gone soon, it is so uncomfortable! Walking is going to help that though! It is amazing how much improvement happens in the first few days! You got this! :)

I'm nine days post op and am still dealing with a lot of pain. Have this new pain that feels like someone is setting fire to your insides. Just happens when getting up and down. I haven't slept in two days. Looking so forward to having no more pain! I'm so tired and miserable.

I was told the surgery went well. But the I am full of gas that does not want to be expelled. I hurt. I am walking well but my oxygen is low. I can't pee on my own. Catheter. I hate it. But I hope to be fully recovered by day 2.
That will pass. I had the same problems after surgery. It took me a couple of weeks to get rid of all the gas. Each person is different. When I had catheter taken out at night they had to recath then after that I had no problems going. Until you really start to eat real foods for bowel movement to get more normal. I still use a stool softener and I take a clear powder benefiber every day. Congratulations!!

Yippee!!! Good news that the surgery went well!!! Moving will help get rid of the gas. They fill you up with so much during surgery that it takes a week or two to get rid of all of it. Unfortunately, that can cause some pain. My doc let me use Gas X to help get rid of it. Ask your doc before you use it though. Sorry to hear about the catheter. I was lucky, I guess. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.

I'm nine days post op and am still dealing with a lot of pain. Have this new pain that feels like someone is setting fire to your insides. Just happens when getting up and down. I haven't slept in two days. Looking so forward to having no more pain! I'm so tired and miserable.
Sorry to hear you are so miserable Lori. Have you asked your doc about This new pain? Might be worth it if you haven't since you are this far out from surgery.

Yippee!!! Good news that the surgery went well!!! Moving will help get rid of the gas. They fill you up with so much during surgery that it takes a week or two to get rid of all of it. Unfortunately, that can cause some pain. My doc let me use Gas X to help get rid of it. Ask your doc before you use it though. Sorry to hear about the catheter. I was lucky, I guess. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon.
Today things are going well. I am home as of yesterday. I went potty without the catheter. Yay me. Also I am not on any pain meds. The pain only comes when I inadvertently use my abdominal muscles. LIke when, trying to get out of bed and stand straight. It looks like the six incisions are healing well. They itch. As for the liquid diet. I am able to have up to 5 calorie drinks. They taste better than the meds and vitamins that's for sure. I really appreciate all of you cheering me on. Thank you.

I
Sorry to hear you are so miserable Lori. Have you asked your doc about This new pain? Might be worth it if you haven't since you are this far out from surgery.
I had to call my doctor it was freaking me out. Ended up in the emergency room. They believe it's a hematoma that formed under one of my incisions. Possibly caused by a stitch that popped. Very painful....not serious.

I

I had to call my doctor it was freaking me out. Ended up in the emergency room. They believe it's a hematoma that formed under one of my incisions. Possibly caused by a stitch that popped. Very painful....not serious.
Glad you got it checked out. Is there anything that can be done or will it take care of itself?

Today things are going well. I am home as of yesterday. I went potty without the catheter. Yay me. Also I am not on any pain meds. The pain only comes when I inadvertently use my abdominal muscles. LIke when, trying to get out of bed and stand straight. It looks like the six incisions are healing well. They itch. As for the liquid diet. I am able to have up to 5 calorie drinks. They taste better than the meds and vitamins that's for sure. I really appreciate all of you cheering me on. Thank you.
No pain meds already. That is great. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I didn't give it up until Friday afternoon. What are you drinking for your drinks? Are you allowed popcicles or Jello?

No pain meds already. That is great. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I didn't give it up until Friday afternoon. What are you drinking for your drinks? Are you allowed popcicles or Jello?
I am drinking the protein shakes. I really like Breakfast essentials the most. I am also drinking the 5 cal drinks you add to water. I have like 6 flavors. I am hesitant but I am considering the broth. My mom says I farted all night in my sleep lol. Oops. Gas is something awful. ;)

I am drinking the protein shakes. I really like Breakfast essentials the most. I am also drinking the 5 cal drinks you add to water. I have like 6 flavors. I am hesitant but I am considering the broth. My mom says I farted all night in my sleep lol. Oops. Gas is something awful. ;)
Never heard of the 5 cal drinks. Lots of flavors is good. I liked having the broth. The salt was a nice taste. Lol @ the farting. I do that all of the time. My poor husband.

I forgot to ask. Who makes Breakfast Essentials? I'm almost 9 months out and have quit drinking shakes because they all make me sick. Don't believe I've tried these. Doctor has ok'd me to eat protein in let of shakes, but not recommended.

I forgot to ask. Who makes Breakfast Essentials? I'm almost 9 months out and have quit drinking shakes because they all make me sick. Don't believe I've tried these. Doctor has ok'd me to eat protein in let of shakes, but not recommended.
Carnations Breakfast Essentials is made by Nestlé.

Back