• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Protein

Hi y’all! I got gastric bypass on 05/03 and I am feeling okay physically for the most part, but I am seriously struggling with meeting my protein goals. My doctor gave me a new list of foods I’m allowed to eat (tuna/salmon/chicken) along with the same things I was allowed in my pre-op diet. However, I have a big aversion to the protein shakes and just the thought of them makes me nauseous. I have been “eating” however I can barely even get 2 oz in at a time. My fluid intake is good but I am rarely hungry enough to take in food. Someone help. Feeling super discouraged because the lack of protein is making me feel super fatigued.

Keep trying other kinds for protein shakes and protein waters and unflavored protein powders. I am 3 weeks out as of yesterday and I am starting to deal with the protein shakes better now. I still do not think they are good but I am getting all my protein in for the day. I even can get down ones that I could not at first try. I also have added some water to the protein shakes. the good part is I can get it down better the bad part is I have to drink more. Good luck with this. I can't wait for the day I can get the protein down without needing a shake or two every day. Good luck

Sorry to hear this. Have you tried Unjury? The chicken soup isn't too bad. There is also Bariwise and Protiwise soups (both on Amazon). I liked the Bariwise cream of tomato. There is also bone broth - Swansons sipping cups (rosemary lemon and other flavors) - really helped me over the hump some days though not as much protein as the shakes.
I know some people take ice and blend them - it didn't work for me. Other people I think froze them to get a "slushy" type effect - I never tried this.
I also recommend trying the protein waters (they were too sweet for me so I would dilute).
Also - vary the flavors of your protein shake - I was truly surprised I liked the Peaches and Cream and even more surprised that could barely tolerate the vanilla.
Good luck!

Hi y’all! I got gastric bypass on 05/03 and I am feeling okay physically for the most part, but I am seriously struggling with meeting my protein goals. My doctor gave me a new list of foods I’m allowed to eat (tuna/salmon/chicken) along with the same things I was allowed in my pre-op diet. However, I have a big aversion to the protein shakes and just the thought of them makes me nauseous. I have been “eating” however I can barely even get 2 oz in at a time. My fluid intake is good but I am rarely hungry enough to take in food. Someone help. Feeling super discouraged because the lack of protein is making me feel super fatigued.
Try this:

Try this:

I want to emphasize my suggestion to make Magic Milk. I couldn't have made it post-operatively without MM.

In addition to making smoothies with it, adding it to cream of mushroom or chicken soup made me feel REALLY fed. I can't stand protein shakes, but I choked them down to meet my needs. But being able to make warm, creamy soup with high protein was a godsend.

Also, using MM instead of water when making cream of wheat or faux cream of potato soup with a few tablespoons of potato flakes was a lifesaver.

We all struggle with the pre- and post-op diets. But there are so many creative ways to make it seem like you're eating a hot meal. When you're a bit farther along, MM heated with a can of tuna and simple seasonings is a super sauce you can dip bread into or pour over a tiny portion of some form of macaroni shells.

Did anyone ever say your eyes are bigger than your stomach? After surgery, it's absolutely true. But if you use MM and create a sauce with it, you can include a tiny amount of bread or pasta and it will fill you up fast.

Within a few months of my surgery, I was eating the same foods I ate before--just drastically smaller amounts and often rebuilt to increase the protein.

I remember my surgeon telling me, before surgery, to go home and enjoy my food, as always, but to chew every bite at least 30 times, pause between bites, and truly savor what I ate. Attaching a negative vibe to food means you'll struggle with what you eat just like before.

I love food and I'm a good cook. I create delicious meals and eat them without guilt. I've maintained my weight with no struggle (within 10 pounds or so) with no trouble.

Just don't overeat like you ate before and you won't have your old troubles.

One more thing: people who have real RYGB surgery sometimes have some of the grehlin-producing portion removed. I'll leave it to you to look that up and see why it changes things.

Try unjury unflavored powder. You can add it to many things. I actually did not do protein shakes for several weeks post op as the churned my stomach something fierce and I spent more time telling myself that I would not throw up then time being able to actually eat. My team wasn't overly concerned with it and the farther out I got the easier it was to add them back in.

Back