• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op questions

GirlFriday

I am going for my pre-op testing next week and then I get my surgery date.

I want to know what everyone's diet was like for the first two weeks. What did you eat/drink?
What brand is your go-to protien drink?
Have you tried the new IsoPure Zero Carbs?
What brand vitamins did you use?

I have been given a list of things that are acceptable, but the dietician told us that we have to find what works for us. Protien shakes are expensive and I can't buy a random dampling of them. I want to know what tastes good and what worked for other people.

Also, were you allowed to drink out of a straw?

Thank you so much!

I want to know what everyone's diet was like for the first two weeks. What did you eat/drink?

I have been given a list of things that are acceptable, but the dietician told us that we have to find what works for us. Protien shakes are expensive and I can't buy a random dampling of them. I want to know what tastes good and what worked for other people.

Thank you so much!

I was not allowed to drink out of a straw. I bought the Whey protein drink from Walmart which was not all that expensive but it tasted great. My surgeon encouraged me to only drink the shakes for the first 2 months and to eat the allowed foods from the list the nutritionists gave me. I took (and still take) 2 Centrum Vitamins - chewable are best, vitamin B12, Vitamin D3 and 1200 mg of chewable calcium supplements daily.

The surgery pain was much less than I expected. The first 2 weeks I was allowed sugar-free jello, cranberry juice and boullion. I'll tell you that it took everything in me to drink much at all. I was on intravenous fluids for a week because I just couldn't drink enough. By the 2nd week I felt much stronger and I was allowed to drink protein shakes too. All and all, looking back, it was the best decision of my life and I am so thankful I had the surgery.

Best of Luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

No drinking from a straw! This causes all kinds of problems. Too much air in the mix makes you burp and gassy like crazy. Even without the straw to this day when I eat I get "gassy". Many of us have to burp it out as quietly as possible (yeah right). Other than that.

The first couple of weeks were protein shakes such as premier and/or isopure. These were my selections. Then we moved to puree foods. I remember one month out that a whole hard boiled egg was more than enough for breakfast.

As to vitamins I have always taken a bunch of supplements. Some of the key supplements are Vitamin D3 8000iu's for me. The dosage is very individual. You must check it with a blood test. I try to keep the level at 60 to 80. Forgetting the units right now, but there is plenty of research on this. Try grassrootshealth.net. This is so critical for overall well being and health.

I also take a bariatric advantage multi formula made for gastric bypass patients.

I find I don't need calcium since I consume plenty of foods that meet the requirement.

Also I was prescribed Pepcid 80mg prescription strength to protect my stomach.

You must drink all the fluids you can as Cheyenne indicated.

This was also the best decision of my life.

I am post op since 11/4/2013. Made goal weight mid July 2015 of 196 to 200. Right now, a little up as a result of a sinus infection. I was on prednisone. That makes you gain water weight. It is coming back off again. I am at 204 and dropping. I will soon be back into my goal range of 196 to 200.

Best wishes,

Ralph

hi! i just started pre op shake protocol. gnc makes ready made shakes called "lean shakes" very VERY delicious. 3 flavors,swiss chocolate, vanilla bean and strawberrys and cream. in connecticut they cost 26.99 a case, if u get a gold card membership for ten dollars, youll get discounts. good luck on your journey!

hi! i just started pre op shake protocol. gnc makes ready made shakes called "lean shakes" very VERY delicious. 3 flavors,swiss chocolate, vanilla bean and strawberrys and cream. in connecticut they cost 26.99 a case, if u get a gold card membership for ten dollars, youll get discounts. good luck on your journey!

WELCOME to the Forum, Alieskia!!!

When is your surgery?

Cheyenne:cool:

Hi Cheyenne,I don't gave a surgery date yet. Have nit even met with surgeon yet, that will be on Tuesday the 24th.the clinic tells me it will take 7- 10 months fir me to complete all the tests and doctor appointments.

I purchased a "Camelbak" brand cup. This cup has a unique "straw" which requires you to bite down and suck preventing air from getting in. Although I have purchased the Isopure Alpine Punch I have not yet tasted it.

I have found the IDS Sports New-Whey Liquid Protein to be pretty easy to get down. The vials are 3.8 ounces and they have 42 grams of protein. I think these will really come in handy immediately after surgery. They sell them at Wal-Mart and online at Amazon. I have found that Amazon has a variety pack with 4 flavors for less than $40 - you will get 12 vials for that price.

Don't drink from a regular straw! Another option for protein shakes is the Carnation Sugar Free packets - these things are GREAT! I use them with Soy Protein milk and get 17 grams of protein! THEY ARE THE BEST TASTING SO FAR TO ME!!!

For vitamins I have different brands, I purchased several gummy vitamins, however, I also have the biotin and some folic acid based on some issues with hair breakage as I began to prepare for surgery.

I have not yet had my procedure and I wish you only the best! I am scheduled for surgery on 04/20/2015 and hope to have some positive information and updates regarding diet and intake following surgery very soon.

Hi all, in 5 days! woo-hoo I've been using EAS Myoplex Lite Nutrition Shake Powder for my pre-op, and fresh raw vegetables, and vitamins. I'm actually looking forward to broth & jello. I'm doing well now but at first I was tired a lot. now I'm having what feels like reflux, and I'm just drinking the shake and water. Anyone else have this?
also after surgery I got EAS 100% Whey Protein, any good?

Hi Cheyenne,I don't gave a surgery date yet. Have nit even met with surgeon yet, that will be on Tuesday the 24th.the clinic tells me it will take 7- 10 months fir me to complete all the tests and doctor appointments.
I’m new here, surgery date is Oct. 19. It has taken from last November until my date, almost a year. Of course there were a couple of Covid slow downs at the hospital. So looking forward to it being done.

Thank you so much!
I ate cream of wheat and broth, unsweetened tea, also, after surgery ate oatmeal, cream of wheat chicken noodle soup, powerade was my choice drink or mostly water with flavor drop's. No Straws! No STRAW!

I want to point out that this thread dates from 2015. That is important only because the author describes some things as "new," when they may in fact be tried and true, and even old, in 2022. This medical specialty is constantly evolving. I think it's important for people to keep moving ahead with their study of it.

Back