• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

post-op surgical issues

Im 9 days post and have this feeling like my stomach is being pulled forward and down. The internal stitching is being pulled on too. This is causing back pain too. The incision in my belly button was opened by the doctor because it was not draining properly so now I have a gaping hole in my belly button!! Im very upset over the pain and the belly button. Did anyone have this happen and what did you do to alleviate the pulling?

No I did not have that. What did your doc say about the sensation of pulling? Are you able to eat and drink?

Im going to call him tomorrow to ask about it. Im getting as much of the fluids in that I can. remembering to drink has been difficult but Ive been drinking the creamed soups as directed, protein drinks, decaf tea and sugar free drinks. Ive also had ice pops. I found out that I DO NOT like decaf coffee..

Finally home!

4 Days post op and my first full day home. I am so glad it is over. Although my time in the hospital was a comedy of errors (well I'm sure it will be funny in a few days or months), I am keeping in mind all the benefits that this surgery can offer. I am sure the amount of issues I am having have a bit to do with my being a bit older than the average bariatric patient.

It is really hard to remember to drink but ya just gotta do it. Set an alarm if you have to. Try to make a game of it all.

And I am surprised at the amount of pain. Please do follow the docs advise and take as much medication as you can. Try to have a plan to wake up and take it a couple of hours before you have to get out of bed. It will help more than you can imagine.

Although this is not polite talk in mixed company.... I will try a adult diaper when I retire for the evening. Getting up to go potty has been especially challenging. I mention it only that it may help some of you that are wondering if this is a good thing to do. I will let you know.

Anyway, am working out times to take my pain meds, heparin, my new meds and my old ones. Challenging, but I have a lot of support and that is really a great help. And very thankful to be on my way.

If anyone has any other helpful hints, please do not hesitate to pass them along!

Deena, did your surgeon have to work with and remove adhesions in your belly from previous surgeries or possibly repair some hernias such as an abdominal or hiatal hernias.

Pain seems to be more common with pre-existing adhesions / scar issues and hernia repairs that the surgeon has to work with and around..

DO NOT use an adult diaper, Get up and go.. If it is that bad you really need to call your surgeon. Maybe they released you to soon.

Relying to much on pain medication can actually make your pain worse.

Get up and walk, let your body help with the pain naturally.

Thanks for your reply. I suppose you are correct about the diapers. But I am taking all the paid pills I am allowed and have some actual pain relief for only about 15 minutes. I am not aware of any conditions. When I complained in the hospital the doc said, well, you have about 7 stab wounds in that place.

Been walking when I can. I did not go back to bed at all yesterday until about 6 p.m. That's 12 hours out of bed and doing a lot for myself. Walking with a walker, but as the day went on, did not need it anymore.

I also have coughed up some blood. Am on heparin shots, 3 times a day. Am trying to get ahold of my surgeon, but I have to go thru reception, who emails a message, thru the nurse who gets the message, and then wait until she had time. Have been waiting 2 hours so far.

I am sorry to say I am so frustrated with this process. I am trying to look forward, but it is very hard. I guess I am also emotional (one of the side effects mentioned) cause I am crying quite a bit. I feel left alone by the surgeons and out on my own. I wish I knew what else to do.

Thanks for listening. Hoping you are continuing to doing so great, and my day gets better.

Honey if your coughing up blood, You Need to go to the ER ASAP...

I am so sorry StinkerBell. You are, of course, correct. I'm afraid I turned to you in the mists of an emotional upheaval. The doc finally called back and it was decided that the blood is probably due to some violent coughing spell. They reviewed with me how to protect the area when coughing and standing and I have an appointment with my GP for tomorrow to see what we can do about the mucus and the coughing.
One thing I learned from all that upheaval is I need to address my control issues. I'm ashamed I did it so publicly and I sure hope you will forgive me. I consider your posts some of best in this area. I'm am so proud to have you as a bariatic buddy.

I am so sorry StinkerBell. You are, of course, correct. I'm afraid I turned to you in the mists of an emotional upheaval. The doc finally called back and it was decided that the blood is probably due to some violent coughing spell. They reviewed with me how to protect the area when coughing and standing and I have an appointment with my GP for tomorrow to see what we can do about the mucus and the coughing.
One thing I learned from all that upheaval is I need to address my control issues. I'm ashamed I did it so publicly and I sure hope you will forgive me. I consider your posts some of best in this area. I'm am so proud to have you as a bariatic buddy.

My motto is: Better safe than sorry.... I can be a bit of a drama queen. So no worry
Heparin injections, coughing up blood are not a good combination.
I don't think it was over reacting or a control issue at all.
I see it as having a normal sense of being a tad bit concerned which is not a bad thing.

I am a new RN working a WLS ward and when I hear heparin, coughing blood and difficulty controlling pain I am on the phone to the doc-no questions about it.

Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you, however, with all the meds floating around in me, I don't think to well some times.

A lot of my frustration with this is the poor concern for patients at the hospital I choose. It is a center of excellence, but, the care is for the numbers, patient is just that.

A can't get the doc on the phone. I have to call the switchboard, they e-mail the department, and, when there is time, a nurse calls me back. The University of Washington medical center is a poor choice for this procedure, but was the only one available to me.

I am off to my GP, who will not interfere at all with any of this, to get my coughing under control. Feeling ever so slightly better today and hoping it continues each day.

Thanks again for the response. I'll bet you are a great nurse!

Back