• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op

It is a very emotional journey, and any major surgery can make one emotional on top of it, so yes, there are definitely times of depression, anxiety, overwhelm, etc. that should subside over time. If they are extreme, or don't start to subside gradually, I would reach out to your doctor and see if you can get something to at least temporarily help you get thru.

Good morning all, I am 5 days post op (lap RYGB) and I still feel pretty crappy. I am not hungry at all and I feel like I have swallowed a brick that is just sitting there right below my throat. When I try to drink my protein shake or bone broth, I start to feel really nauseated so I am just going to focus on staying as hydrated as I can. Any advice? I am still having pain but my surgeon warned me that he puts an anchor stitch into the muscle on the left side to help keep everything closed and in place. My pain is improving daily, I am just worried as to how long I can go without protein before I put myself at some type of risk.

Good morning all, I am 5 days post op (lap RYGB) and I still feel pretty crappy. I am not hungry at all and I feel like I have swallowed a brick that is just sitting there right below my throat. When I try to drink my protein shake or bone broth, I start to feel really nauseated so I am just going to focus on staying as hydrated as I can. Any advice? I am still having pain but my surgeon warned me that he puts an anchor stitch into the muscle on the left side to help keep everything closed and in place. My pain is improving daily, I am just worried as to how long I can go without protein before I put myself at some type of risk.
I would suggest that you try sitting up in a comfortable chair in such a way that you don't cause any more pain than you already have. Then make a protein shake, which has more protein I believe than bone broth, or bone broth if you can't tolerate the dairy in the protein shake. Don't try to drink it. Take it small spoonful, using a spoon the size that you would use with a baby. Don't swallow it but just let it kind of ooze down your throat on its own. Pause for at least a minute between bites. Let gravity do all the work and keep yourself comfortable and still so you don't cause any additional discomfort.

Anyone get really sick post op? Or have more anixety than usual?
Are you still here, Amanda? I noticed you signed on Tuesday at 12:11 p.m. and you signed off on Tuesday at 12:11 p.m. so I'm actually wondering if you are for real. You really need to be more detailed if you want an answer. Your questions are quite personal and in the support group, we feel comfortable answering questions like that, when members are committed. Please add some detail.

i seemed to have gotten that way plus its hard for me to breathe when i lay down
Please give us some details so we can answer your question. Right now your inquiry is so general, it cannot be answered. You were up in the middle of the night creating this post so I assume it's causing you some unrest. Please let us have a shot at answering you specifically. We need more details.

It's all part of process. Meditations and affirmation helped a lot I was actually listening to a meditation just a few minutes before it was time to wheel me into the or before my surgery.
I agree with you 100% about the meditations. Before I had my surgery, when I was still trying everything I could think of to lose weight, I used to have a cassette tape I put in my Walkman that was filled with affirmations. This happened to be something I got from the library by a man named Dennis Waitley. I would listen to these affirmations as I walked and I wouldn't come home home until the tape was finished.

Even though I was not successful in my weight loss, the affirmations did a lot for me. They woke my brain up and made me question every single negative thought I ever had after that. I cannot recommend affirmations highly enough.

I had surgery a week ago and don't feel so good. It still hurts to get up and down from a chair.
Your first line of defense if you have pain is to contact your doctor immediately. You don't need to check in with a group to see if that's normal or see if anyone else has experienced that. You are having pain. You need to tell your doctor. It may be something that needs attention immediately.

And if it turns out that it's not something serious and you just have pain in movements, that will get better. Don't overdo it. Your body has sustained significant assault and your digestive system has been rebuilt. That is not a small thing. Imagine how bad you would feel if you just had a tooth pulled. Then multiply it by 50. That's what weight loss surgery is equal to.

The really noticeable part of my recovery took place in the first two weeks following surgery. I was a lot better after 1 week and in the second week I was able to move more and drink more and take in more protein. By the third week I was going out and socializing. I was in pain and I had to sneak away from this party I was at and go in the bedroom and suffer a little bit before coming back out, but I felt it was important to make an appearance, especially since I hadn't told anyone that I had had surgery.

Everyone's recovery is different because everyone's pain threshold is different. But we all share some similarities because we have similar Anatomy. Just let it happen and be as kind to yourself as you possibly can be. Don't rush it. It took you years to get obese. Now it's only going to take you a year or two to get back to a normal weight. Be kind to yourself.

Ugh - sorry to hear about the nausea...I was tired of the thickness/consistency of shakes (grateful it wasn't due to nausea tho) and I found that high protein drinks that weren't shakes helped me get my protein in....I just ordered them on Amazon. Might help if shakes aren't working...l keep us posted on how you're doing. Let me know if you're interested in which ones I like (I don't want to sound like I'm pushing any particular brands and realize I've mentioned them a couple of times on various threads this morning :) )

I got through using clear protein drinks try some jello suger free. I am 4 weeks post op.My surgeon also put the stich you mentioned
Ugh - sorry to hear about the nausea...I was tired of the thickness/consistency of shakes (grateful it wasn't due to nausea tho) and I found that high protein drinks that weren't shakes helped me get my protein in....I just ordered them on Amazon. Might help if shakes aren't working...l keep us posted on how you're doing. Let me know if you're interested in which ones I like (I don't want to sound like I'm pushing any particular brands and realize I've mentioned them a couple of times on various threads this morning :) )
I would like to know what type of protein drinks? Are they thick? very sweet? ty

I would like to know what type of protein drinks? Are they thick? very sweet? ty
When I got burned out (which took 2 days basically) on 3x day shakes I found Isopure Protein Drink...it's not thick, it's basically like drinking ice team (which is the flavor - ice tea with lemon)... 40g of Protein, 160 calories in a 20oz bottle...such a relief to get 40g out of the way in the morning making the 60g target more manageable...I will say drinking the same thing over and over also hit me with this but I've ordered the 2 other flavors I could get from Amazon (grape and lemonade) so I can switch it up. Also the Protein20 drinks also helped with having something non shake consistency (15g protein, 50cal 16.9 oz)...I haven't found them anywhere but via Amazon so far. Hope your nausea is easing!

When I got burned out (which took 2 days basically) on 3x day shakes I found Isopure Protein Drink...it's not thick, it's basically like drinking ice team (which is the flavor - ice tea with lemon)... 40g of Protein, 160 calories in a 20oz bottle...such a relief to get 40g out of the way in the morning making the 60g target more manageable...I will say drinking the same thing over and over also hit me with this but I've ordered the 2 other flavors I could get from Amazon (grape and lemonade) so I can switch it up. Also the Protein20 drinks also helped with having something non shake consistency (15g protein, 50cal 16.9 oz)...I haven't found them anywhere but via Amazon so far. Hope your nausea is easing!
ty for your reply. Unfortunately I can't afford the Isopure.

Back