• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post surgery water weight gain

bbh76

Hi, I'm Barbara. I had my gastric bypass last Monday, 11/24/14. I had a few complications. I started with low blood pressure, and had to spend an extra night in the hospital. I so wish I had been reading more blogs and threads on here so that I wasn't feeling so uncertain about things that were never discussed during the preparations for surgery. Today we had our first snowfall, and what a great day I had. I walked about 1/2 a mile in the snow, did a little shopping, and ran some errands with my hubby. I had lots of energy. Before I left the hospital I had to cut back on several medicines. All seems great, but it has been 5 days, and I have not lost any weight yet, and that's frustrating because I already gained 7 lbs the day of the surgery. I'm concerned. I've been trying to find some threads about this, but I'm not finding any info. I guess I need help finding threads that discuss this, or just your own experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I'm Barbara. I had my gastric bypass last Monday, 11/24/14. I had a few complications. I started with low blood pressure, and had to spend an extra night in the hospital. I so wish I had been reading more blogs and threads on here so that I wasn't feeling so uncertain about things that were never discussed during the preparations for surgery. Today we had our first snowfall, and what a great day I had. I walked about 1/2 a mile in the snow, did a little shopping, and ran some errands with my hubby. I had lots of energy. Before I left the hospital I had to cut back on several medicines. All seems great, but it has been 5 days, and I have not lost any weight yet, and that's frustrating because I already gained 7 lbs the day of the surgery. I'm concerned. I've been trying to find some threads about this, but I'm not finding any info. I guess I need help finding threads that discuss this, or just your own experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Barbara! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I was in the hospital for a week after bariatric surgery because my blood pressure was low and I had no appitite and couldn't get much liquids down. So they filled me full of intravenous fluids. Imagine my surprise when I got home and had gained 20 lbs. When I talked to the doctor's office I found out water gain is quite common. I had Lasix at home because I normally have a little water weight anyway because of a minor heart condition. When I started taking my diuretic, my water weight came off and I lost 20 more pounds by the end of the month. Water weight comes off faster for some people than others. Talk to your doctor's office.

Be sure to fill out the rest of your info about yourself for this forum. It helps us to be able to help you. :)

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Cheyenne :cool:

Just an update. I asked my Primary dr. if I could take my water pill, and she said go for it. Within 2 days 8 lbs of water came off. All is well.

Just an update. I asked my Primary dr. if I could take my water pill, and she said go for it. Within 2 days 8 lbs of water came off. All is well.

That's AWESOME Barbara!

It's so much better not to be all bloated with water weight, not to mention it messes with our mind when we gain weight instead of losing it after all we have gone through.

:)

Cheyenne

Welcome.

The water weight is temporary.

However, be careful with the water pill. I am surprised, somewhat , that your primary Doctor allowed it!

The main reason the hospital pumps us all up with water post op is to prevent dehydration.

So many of us have a hard time getting the necessary liquids down in the first month and we run the threat of dehydration and all the complications that come with that.

The weight would have come off on its own.

Now, having said that you are at the very beginning of a journey that will reshape your life.

The weight will come off as long as you follow the protocols that you should have been taught by now especially the first 4 to 8 weeks.

Be well.

Ralph

Hi Barbara - I had my surgery Dec. 2nd and was on IV fluids for three days. Imagine my surprise when I stepped on a scale at the hospital and had gained 10 lbs.!! The irony, have surgery to lose weight and gain.....I have lost 8 lbs. since leaving the hospital this past Friday.

I had been taking Furosemide (for fluid retention) prior to surgery for edema in my legs. I'm sure stopping that prior to surgery did not help. I hope those lbs. soon start dropping off and best of luck with your weight loss goal.

hi barbara - i had my surgery dec. 2nd and was on iv fluids for three days. Imagine my surprise when i stepped on a scale at the hospital and had gained 10 lbs.!! The irony, have surgery to lose weight and gain.....i have lost 8 lbs. Since leaving the hospital this past friday.

I had been taking furosemide (for fluid retention) prior to surgery for edema in my legs. I'm sure stopping that prior to surgery did not help. I hope those lbs. Soon start dropping off and best of luck with your weight loss goal.

once again. I stopped my furosemide almost immediately. It was contributing to dehydration. I was dehydrated as a result. We don't need water pills anymore post op.

The water weight will come off on its own. It is there to protect us against dehydration.

Talk to your surgeon and his/her team about this.

\on tube feedings before long to evenn live. I know every cse had surgery Gasteric Bypass in 7-2012. I have had hell every since. I loved my surgeon she was great don't get me wrong. She has done all she can do for me. I am struggling to even survive now.I know every case is different. I am just struggling to live now. I throw up 24/7 everything I eat within 10 min. I havve had so many upper endoscoppies and all looks good. I am losing teeth a If i get to 98lbs again I will be back in the hospital.nd hair now because of the malnutrition. i take liqud vitamis but throw them up everyery day. I am at 140bs as of this morning which is good but i've loost 15 lbs since my last appt. I was down to 114 and the dr said if i get to 98 lbs I will be on tube feedings. So I eat junk all day everyday hopeing what I keep down keeps my weight up. No meat because i cannot stomache that anymore. Donuts, cookies anything high calorie. Never thought I'd have to fight so hard to live just cause I wanted to be thin. Now I am a size 2 on a good day but hae my size 0 pants for whenn I really cannot eat. It is horribe my kids cry and they are adults. They say I look like a meth addict and I have never done street drugs.

\on tube feedings before long to evenn live. I know every cse had surgery Gasteric Bypass in 7-2012. I have had hell every since. I loved my surgeon she was great don't get me wrong. She has done all she can do for me. I am struggling to even survive now.I know every case is different. I am just struggling to live now. I throw up 24/7 everything I eat within 10 min. I havve had so many upper endoscoppies and all looks good. I am losing teeth a If i get to 98lbs again I will be back in the hospital losing teeth and hair now because of the malnutrition. i take liqud vitamis but throw them up everyery day. I am at 140bs as of this morning which is good but i've loost 15 lbs since my last appt which was less than a monnth ago. . I was down to 114 and the dr said if i get to 98 lbs I will be on tube feedings. So I eat junk all day everyday hopeing what I keep down keeps my weight up. No meat because i cannot stomache that anymore. Donuts, cookies anything high calorie. Never thought I'd have to fight so hard to live just cause I wanted to be thin. Now I am a size 2 on a good day but I have my size 0 pants for whenn I really cannot eat. It is horribe my kids cry and they are adults. They say I look like a meth addict and I have never done street drugs.
I am losing my teeth and hair now.SoI don't know what to do anymore. I have a new grandbaby now but I cannot even enjoy her my activity level is ata 2 out of 10 due to malnutrition. I and sluggish all day or sleep. Ive been told I have stage 4 liver failure now and i have never been a drinker. So Ya I am gonna die it is just when now. I should of stayed fat and happy now I am tooo skinny and miserable. I need help but there is none. I'd say to anyone planning gasteric bypass. Don't do it.

I am losing my teeth and hair now.SoI don't know what to do anymore. I have a new grandbaby now but I cannot even enjoy her my activity level is ata 2 out of 10 due to malnutrition. I and sluggish all day or sleep. Ive been told I have stage 4 liver failure now and i have never been a drinker. So Ya I am gonna die it is just when now. I should of stayed fat and happy now I am tooo skinny and miserable. I need help but there is none. I'd say to anyone planning gasteric bypass. Don't do it.
I am at gflpvip@yahoo.com if anyone has suggestions

Back