• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-o[ diet and sugar

Targyn

Hi everyone!

My surgeon put me on a pre-op, liver shrinking diet starting yesterday when I saw him, (almost a month before surgery) that consists of protein shakes, lean proteins, veggies, and some dairy like cottage cheese and greek yogurt. My question is, I can't drink my coffee without sugar. Any recommendations on how to switch to other sweeteners? I don't want to sabotage this diet with sugar. Thanks for your help.

Hi everyone!

My surgeon put me on a pre-op, liver shrinking diet starting yesterday when I saw him, (almost a month before surgery) that consists of protein shakes, lean proteins, veggies, and some dairy like cottage cheese and greek yogurt. My question is, I can't drink my coffee without sugar. Any recommendations on how to switch to other sweeteners? I don't want to sabotage this diet with sugar. Thanks for your help.

Better get used to no sugar now..... Once you have your RNY you will be at a great rick for dumping syndrome when using processed sugars.

You may want to look at trying the sugar free coffee syrups such as the Sugar Free Torani syrups so many coffee houses use. They come in many great flavors such as coconut, white chocolate, caramel and many other awesome flavors... Nice thing is these syrups are a great multi tasker as well. You can use them to flavor your protein shakes as well.....

morning coffee was a big issue for me. I started the gradual journey to decaf. To make the coffee somewhat good I use the Torani syrups and non-fat dry milk. I don't like my coffee cooled at all. However, if you can drink it slightly cooled try putting vanilla protein powder in it.

Good luck

I used Truvia in my coffee when I was drinking it. It tasted better than sugar to me even before my diet. I would also use sugar-free creamers. I used to have a caffeine addiction; I HAD to have either coffee, redbull, rockstar, anything! But now I am caffeine free! It is really hard to just stop drinking it but I know it's not healthy for me.

Hi. I just attended a seminar last week and I have no problem doing all the prep stuff on thier list except giving up coffee. I am even willing to settle for a few sips and going sugar free. Just cannot get my head around not having it I guess. I am one of the lucky ones as I don't drink or smoke, I don't have diabetis or any heart problems, cholesterol and eveything is within normal limits too except my thyroid is low functioning due to the weight. I also started a food diary a month ago and I am consuming less than 2000 calories a day already. I am now waiting for the Bariatric Center here is Spokane to call me with an appointment, I guess you could say anxiously waiting! :) I have decided to have the sleeve and cannot wait to see the results so I can reduce my weight so I can go for walks with my husband and not hurt. Any other suggestions on what I should do or what I can expect?
Stacey Jones

I can share this about sugar and caffeine. My husband works in the medical industry, in a hospital.
One of his co-workers and this persons wife both had WLS at the same time. The wife is currently hospitalized due to some seriously poor choices and decisions she made regarding her diet.
The wife decided that it was fine and acceptable to consume a 44 oz glass of Coke and a Snickers bar everyday, mind you she is not even 2 months post WLS. She has now developed rapid heart beat / tachycardia and several ulcers due to her inability and refusal to follow the post surgical protocol. She is in a world of hurt because she did not take things seriously.
Weight loss surgery is a tool, it is NOT a magic wand, cure all, fix all, be all, end all. It does NOT allow you to eat what you want, when you want it and how much of it your want.

This tool is designed to help us all get a grip on our habits and allows us to customize this tool to meet our needs...

I do not understand why people have WLS if they have no desire to work with such a powerful tool that has been designed to help reclaim ones life and health..

WOW! Yeah, I can't imagine what she was thinking other than not thinking. I have read stories on the internet of people just like that who have almost killed themselves with over indulging and not eating right and I'll tell you what, it's scares the He&* outta me! I think I'm in the right state of mind to make this work for me. When I started discussing this with my husband he started doing the research on it and told me about the different proceedures and how they are done and then I got curious and started doing research on my own. I thought about the lap band first but after the seminar I realized that if you don't eat alot already it may not work as well for you so that is when I decided on the sleeve. I downloaded My Fitness Pal on my phone just over a month ago to keep track of my calorie intake and after I entered my information it started me out at 2400 calories a day. One day I made it to 2400 and that was early on. But since then I'm taking in between 1700-1800 a day, sometimes 1600 just depends. I have watched My 600lb Life on TLC and even though I'm not as heavy always wondered if I would qualify for this surgery. I am sure that I will have no problem but am always curious what others have gone through after and before surgery. I know if I could do this all on my own I would have made it happen already but I can't. Yes I can whine as good as anyone else but I will push myself because I want to be healthy and love life more than I do already.
Thank you for all your encouragement and I look forward to many posts with you and anyone else who wants to join in!
Stacey :eek: <3

OK, a couple of things. Sugar is a NO NO. This is not to say you never ever can have it ever again. However, in the beginning (like the first 3 months or so) you need to follow the surgeon's guidelines precisely.

As you can see by my profile I had the gastric bypass. I also had T2 diabetes and still do but it is controlled. Before surgery I needed 90 units of Novolog fast insulin and 2000mg of Metformin ER to control my sugar levels and keep my sugars between 90-130 and my A1C around 5.4 to 5.8. Over 6.0 is not good for an A1C. Many diabetics don't even try to control their sugar levels and walk around daily with sugar levels 200-500 and A1C's in the 7 to 9 or even higher level. Then they wonder why they develp nerve damage or have to suffer through amputations and some even death. Nope diabetes is nothing to mess with.

So, get used to no sugar in your coffee. Most surgeon's and their team don't want you to have any coffee during the first few months. Better to ween yourself off of it now. I switched to no caffeine herbal teas. I learned to enjoy them instead of the coffee. Afterall, the real thing was having something to drink in the morning or whenever. So, I have many different flavors of herbal teas in my house that I consume.

Yes, eventually I allowed myself one cup of decaf with half and half in the morning. I believe I was around month 4 before I did start this.

The taca-cardia is a real thing. It happened to me as a result of my intake of caffeine from any source. My heart rate used to jump up from high 60s to 113 and stay there for one to two days. I had to switch meds from Toprol/xl to Bystolic 10mg to get this to stop and keep my heart rate down in the 60s. Post op. My tolerance for caffeine now allows me to have the one cup maybe 2 during the day. However, beyond that and it has happened my heart rate will jump up to the 90s now; not 113 anyway but still a significant jump. Fortunately, it comes back down. As you get older this could and will develop into an arrhythmia, which can lead to a stroke, etc., etc.

So, no more sugar for now and learn to enjoy herbal teas. They are delicious.

Again, as you SUCCEED AND ARE FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD WITH SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOSS, you will be able to enjoy your coffee again (DECAF) and perhaps a bit of sugar. Even with gastric bypass I can now have a treat that has sugar in it as long as I don't over do it. This is very individual. Some things can cause me to dump, too much sugar or fat is a no no for me. Again, I am now 5 months post op, enjoying a huge success. Please explain to me why I would want to sabotage myself at this point?

Best wishes to both of you. Stacey good luck.

Targyn good luck.

Ralph

I used Truvia in my coffee when I was drinking it. It tasted better than sugar to me even before my diet. I would also use sugar-free creamers. I used to have a caffeine addiction; I HAD to have either coffee, redbull, rockstar, anything! But now I am caffeine free! It is really hard to just stop drinking it but I know it's not healthy for me.

Welcome Ashleym.

I see you are starting your journey too.

Ralph

Another alternative to Coffee is using chicory which is naturally an completely caffeine free....

I have been a fan of Chicory since childhood when my Grammy would make me a chicory café au lait in the mornings while we read the paper together.

There are several sources on line and you may be able to find it in your coffee department at local grocery....

Community Coffee also carries a decaf 1/2 coffee half chicory which is awesome.

http://mountainroseblog.com/make-roasted-chicory-coffee-recipe/

OMG Stinkerbelle she was drinking 44oz of coke and eating snicker bars???? I would be so sick. I used to drink a little coke whenever my stomach was sick before wls. I couldn't imagine drinking it now. One I would be afraid of the soda burning my pouch and two the painful burps. Then on top of it all I would be sooooooo afraid of ulcers. As far as the snicker bars go how was she able to handle the sugar? Right now to me gatorade g2's are sweet. I don't understand people to me this is a gift a new lease on life and she is throwing it all away not to mention endangering herself. Oh well that is my soapbox speech for now.

TillieS

Thank you Ralph. As you suggested I added to my profile. I don't have access to a scale so it's been about a month since I last weighed but I can tell I've lost alittle bit more in the past month. I have always been chunky, even as a child. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy and sleep apnea when I was 27, 22 years ago this month, wow how time flies! I have always had both sleeping disorders I believe as a child because it was always a struggle to stay awake. Missed out on all the family trips we took because I just couldn't stay awake! My sleep Dr said he doubted this surgery would make my sleeping disorders better but we'll wait and see. I am not expecting it to though which is fine with me. I've had both so long that I'm used to them by now. But now I'm getting off track! I believe I've always had a sleepy almost non existant metabolism my whole life. The only time I feel it actually worked was when I was taking fen phen, only the orange pill, not both. I felt my body was actually burning calories and I had lost more than 200lbs before it was taken off the market and I was devistated. I wasn't done yet, I was monitored every month by my sleep Dr, had NO ill effects what so ever and no side effects that were described on the news about this drug. It worked wonderfully!! Unfortunately I did gain back some weight, not all as I was 486lbs at the start of that drug and was at 250 when I stopped. I still have the pants that I wore at 486 and swear to this day to NEVER go back to that again. I checked out Positive Changes and thought that would work but I don't have $2800.00 to pay up front for thier program and at that point they wouldn't talk to me even about payment arrangements.
My Dr's have always said I look better on paper as my blood work and vitals have maintained within normal limits and very good all my life. I guess I'm very lucky in that respect but I know things can happen quickly and I don't want it to get to that point. I feel bad when I'm out with my husband and am having a hard time keeping up as he can walk circles around anyone! It's usually my hips or feet that hurt the most. My mind wants to keep up but the body isn't able to. I am very excited to get started, the waiting for the first phone call I think is the hardest! Call me already!! LOL! ;)
But I'm very greatful for all of the encouragement and suggestions and sharing I've gotten from all the posts on this site!
Thank you again,
Stacey

Good Luck on your new journey

Thank you Ralph. As you suggested I added to my profile. I don't have access to a scale so it's been about a month since I last weighed but I can tell I've lost alittle bit more in the past month. I have always been chunky, even as a child. I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy and sleep apnea when I was 27, 22 years ago this month, wow how time flies! I have always had both sleeping disorders I believe as a child because it was always a struggle to stay awake. Missed out on all the family trips we took because I just couldn't stay awake! My sleep Dr said he doubted this surgery would make my sleeping disorders better but we'll wait and see. I am not expecting it to though which is fine with me. I've had both so long that I'm used to them by now. But now I'm getting off track! I believe I've always had a sleepy almost non existant metabolism my whole life. The only time I feel it actually worked was when I was taking fen phen, only the orange pill, not both. I felt my body was actually burning calories and I had lost more than 200lbs before it was taken off the market and I was devistated. I wasn't done yet, I was monitored every month by my sleep Dr, had NO ill effects what so ever and no side effects that were described on the news about this drug. It worked wonderfully!! Unfortunately I did gain back some weight, not all as I was 486lbs at the start of that drug and was at 250 when I stopped. I still have the pants that I wore at 486 and swear to this day to NEVER go back to that again. I checked out Positive Changes and thought that would work but I don't have $2800.00 to pay up front for thier program and at that point they wouldn't talk to me even about payment arrangements.
My Dr's have always said I look better on paper as my blood work and vitals have maintained within normal limits and very good all my life. I guess I'm very lucky in that respect but I know things can happen quickly and I don't want it to get to that point. I feel bad when I'm out with my husband and am having a hard time keeping up as he can walk circles around anyone! It's usually my hips or feet that hurt the most. My mind wants to keep up but the body isn't able to. I am very excited to get started, the waiting for the first phone call I think is the hardest! Call me already!! LOL! ;)
But I'm very greatful for all of the encouragement and suggestions and sharing I've gotten from all the posts on this site!
Thank you again,
Stacey

Well I know the sleep apnea will go away. I would have to study more on narcolepsy to fully understand it.

This will be a life changing event for you as it has been for all of us in this forum.

Keep coming to the site.

Ask questions, read, participate and eventually help othes.

One of the things I do notice in this community of bariatric patients is the "pay it forward" mentality.

It is wonderful.

Ralph

Hi. I just attended a seminar last week and I have no problem doing all the prep stuff on thier list except giving up coffee. I am even willing to settle for a few sips and going sugar free. Just cannot get my head around not having it I guess. I am one of the lucky ones as I don't drink or smoke, I don't have diabetis or any heart problems, cholesterol and eveything is within normal limits too except my thyroid is low functioning due to the weight. I also started a food diary a month ago and I am consuming less than 2000 calories a day already. I am now waiting for the Bariatric Center here is Spokane to call me with an appointment, I guess you could say anxiously waiting! :) I have decided to have the sleeve and cannot wait to see the results so I can reduce my weight so I can go for walks with my husband and not hurt. Any other suggestions on what I should do or what I can expect?
Stacey Jones
My surgeon required no caffeine before surgery and for one month after surgery. I started drinking decaf coffee and decided I liked it, so after one month I started drinking coffee again with sugar. You shouldn't have dumping syndrome with a little bit of sugar, but some do with the sleeve with larger amounts of sugar. I thought I would miss my caffeine-free diet cokes (have had coke daily in some form or another since I was 10), but I tried a little and 1) it didn't taste good, and 2) I couldn't handle the carbonation. I still have 2 cases of the stuff in the basement, and wonder what I'm going to do with it!

Back